The Student Room Group

Would you commute this far for a job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazyunicorn133
But I can't, I start nursing at UoM in september and the job is just until then, so I wouldn't want to move!

rent a small place temporarily?
Reply 21
I live in Didsbury, Manchester, and my job is relocating to Gedling, Nottingham.

This is approx 80 miles each way and I would be relying on trains, the one from manchester to Nottingham takes an hour and a half.

It's a really good job and pays well, but the distance is like, woah.

What would you do?

My old personal tutor used to commute Manchester to Leicester every day so it is doable, but obviously he could research at home and just schedule lectures and tuts in the middle of the day.

He's since moved to UoM due to the commuting though.
I would, without a doubt commute if it was 1 hour or less. However, if the pays good then surely the extra half an hour isn't too bad. I think what may be the deciding factor is how long is the total journey - from your front door to the station and the walk from station to your office chair - including the train journey. If it is 1hr 30mins then I'd definitely go for it.
I don't think that's as unheard of when it's a stable job and the person's driving, and it's a commute to a big city or something... but otherwise, given that it's a temporary job anyway, I don't think I'd do it personally. I'd try to find temporary accommodation, particularly because trains etc. can be so unreliable so I'd want to get there ridiculously early, which might not always be feasible. But then that's just me of course.
But I can't, I start nursing at UoM in september and the job is just until then, so I wouldn't want to move!

Yeah if it's just until September I would commute.

You could always look into accommodation in the area though.
Reply 25
I'd do it, because like you said the job is only temporary till September...

It might be possible for them to help you find somewhere to stay while you're there, if this is a really good opportunity it'd be a shame to pass it up
I live in Didsbury, Manchester, and my job is relocating to Gedling, Nottingham.

This is approx 80 miles each way and I would be relying on trains, the one from manchester to Nottingham takes an hour and a half.

What would you do?

I briefly commuted between Manchester and Nottingham for a job.

However, the job was two minutes walk from Piccadilly station and I was only doing this for a week before I secured accomodation closer in Lancaster, and after my first month's pay packet I was able to sign up to a penthouse flat rental next to Piccadilly station.

If the job pays so well, you will move.

Manchester to Nottingham is about an hour and fifty minutes on the train, which will be packed and standing room only for pretty much the first hour almost all the way to Sheffield, plus Didsbury isn't exactly Piccadilly and depending on where in Gedling it about an hour to an hour and a half on the bus and that's not in rush hour. In case you aren't aware already, Nottingham gets clogged solid in the morning and evening rush hours.

If you do commute for a while, board the train at Oxford Road, rather than Piccadilly. Then when the train arrives at Piccadilly and all the commuters get off, you will be already on the train and first in line for a seat.

But seriously. Move to Nottingham. It's not as bad as it's made out to be.
Manchester to Nottingham season when I was commuting a couple of years back was £124.30 for a week, making it a little under £25 a day.

There is a B&B near Nottm station that can be had for £20 a night though.
Is it every day? I was doing something similar for four days a week during my masters and it was sheer hell. I have then been travelling 1-2 days a week during my PhD and that is manageable, but I will still be very, very happy when I don't have to do it anymore! If you can work from home one or two days a week during the three months then I think it'll be fine, but if you can possibly find a way of not doing it I would recommend it. You don't pay the cost immediately in terms of exhaustion but it catches up with you very quickly; I remember virtually nothing of my MA because I was knackered all the time.
Actually, it would largely depend on what kind of train service it is. If it's Northern Rail, no, because they don't have tables on their old services and I couldn't get any work done on the train. If the service had tables, then I'd at least consider it because I could get work done either way so most of the distance wouldn't be a big problem for me.
Reply 30

What would you do?

After I graduated from uni, I commuted almost daily from Sommerville, New Jersey to Lower Manhattan, 50 miles each way. Did that for 3 years......thankfully the rent was free :tongue:

After I moved to UK, at one point I lived in Chipping Norton and commuted into London, around 90 miles each way and took around 2 hours of driving to get there or 2.5 hours by train. If you are doing it short term then it should be alright for as long as the money is good and it isn't too inconvenient, there were quite a few times I slept over at office because I missed the last train. In the end I decided I had to move closer to work as it was the commutes were too much to handle.

Should you do it? Unless you have another job, I'd say you're better off doing it :smile:
Reply 31
Is there no way you can rent a place while you're there? I'm sure there are landlords who don't mind a temporary tennant..
Original post by DarkWhite
Actually, it would largely depend on what kind of train service it is. If it's Northern Rail, no, because they don't have tables on their old services and I couldn't get any work done on the train. If the service had tables, then I'd at least consider it because I could get work done either way so most of the distance wouldn't be a big problem for me.

Manchester Piccadilly to Nottingham is East Midlands trains. Forget getting a seat at a table, try getting any kind of seat whatsoever during the rush hour.

Board at Oxford road though and you can easily bag a table seat when all the commuters get off at Picc.
i have a slightly different perception as to what is acceptable as i live 15miles from anywhere... 50 is fine... 80... i dunno maybe pushing it...
my boyfriend used to commute leeds - sheffield 40ish miles but then leeds to sheffield then sheffield to cheltenham -over night stay then back the next day once a week which he HATED...
it really comes down to whether or not you mind the travelling... its not too far i dont think, but then not ideal really... if the pay covers everything you need including the extra travel id probably go for it if it was me...

t
Reply 34
I'd say stick with the train if the jobs only until you start uni
I was offered a job with an 8000 mile commute, so 80 miles is doable. :tongue:
Original post by roh
My old personal tutor used to commute Manchester to Leicester every day so it is doable, but obviously he could research at home and just schedule lectures and tuts in the middle of the day.

He's since moved to UoM due to the commuting though.

I would reccomend moving house or if you really didn't want to move, commute. It isn't that far! I catch a bus for two hours to get to school! Honestly, just do it! Take a book or an iPod and enjoy the journey. I enjoy my long journey! :smile:
You can pay a slum landlord in Nottingham £40 a week including bills and probably get a discount for cash. If you pay cash there is probably no minimum term either.
Reply 38
I live in Nottingham, and I drove to Manchester for uni once a month at one point, and that was bad enough. You're crazy if you're considering it more often.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending