The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The unofficial Best clubs/bars/nights in Leeds (2012) thread

Scroll to see replies

Hmm i thought evolution was a chavvy place as thats what I read in some review about it being full of peroxide blonde and fake tans? Or does it depend on the night? maybe it was just an outdated review?

Original post by wildrover
Well yeh propaganda does play all the anthems that eveyrone knows but it creates a quality enviroment and you don't get repeats.

And Evo can be decent but wait for a special event and don't forget student I.D.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Harambulus
Hmm i thought evolution was a chavvy place as thats what I read in some review about it being full of peroxide blonde and fake tans? Or does it depend on the night? maybe it was just an outdated review?

Doesn't look like my sort of thing anyway judging on the Facebook page and a google search.

Photos of fake tanned up girls wearing little posing around, branding everywhere, a guestlist, in your face advertising, etc, etc... Sort of club I avoid. I'm 24 and I want to go somewhere where I can chill, have fun and keep my dignity, not a meatmarket. I'm a guy who likes women, but I want a bit of class at least. Not worth the trek.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by jblackmoustache
What are your favourite clubs/bars/nights in Leeds?

Here are my faves (with addresses on to help freshers) -

Smokestack (Lower Briggate) - Funk, Soul, blues

Hi-Fi (central road) - Jazz, soul, blues, salsa, etc...

Cockpit (Swinegate) - Rock, metal, pop, etc

Fab Cafe (Albion St) - rock, pop, cheese, metal, 80s, etc..

Dry Dock (Woodhouse Lane) - pop, rock, etc.

Is these the ONLY places for metal; heading up there this Sep and I've been to cockpit and didn't rate it that high as the DJ was just playing silly pop music :confused:(well biffy) thanks. :cool:
Original post by Tim99
Is these the ONLY places for metal; heading up there this Sep and I've been to cockpit and didn't rate it that high as the DJ was just playing silly pop music :confused:(well biffy) thanks. :cool:

Dunno, you'll have to let me know. There's a lot of places that just play lame anthems and pop in Leeds.
Doesn't look like my sort of thing anyway judging on the Facebook page and a google search.

Photos of fake tanned up girls wearing little posing around, branding everywhere, a guestlist, in your face advertising, etc, etc... Sort of club I avoid. I'm 24 and I want to go somewhere where I can chill, have fun and keep my dignity, not a meatmarket. I'm a guy who likes women, but I want a bit of class at least. Not worth the trek.

bearing that in mind where WOULd you recomend for someone who prefers meatmarkets and fake tanned chavvy girls :P, not too chavvy but oceana type. Oceana is my best bet i think form what ive gathered so far and think ive been to nearly all the main clubs now.

Also what about mondays in summer for leeds (dont mind the crowd jsut with lots of girls- so student night or w/e)- I went out on monday the otehr week. I knew it would be quieter but cxouldnt find any nights on that were on in student time so I jumped back on the train an hour later :P.

All the other nights so far ive found busyish nights, tiger plus one was still going on tues and bed on thurs but couldnt find one spot on mon. You mentioned halo...would that be the main one? any others?

Gonna go back on weds and take a butchers but interested in finding a monday night as im doing a direct compare and contrast to manc nightlife atm while its quiet before students come back as i feel thats the real test of a cities' nightlife in the quieter months.
(edited 11 years ago)
Aggh Leeds is dead **** atm, especially Saturdays, when the bouncers turn into even bigger ****ers. Maybe when the students get here to spend cash the smaller bars away from Call Lane and Albion street will step their game up?

I suspect promoters will be promoting in force in September.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Sure but liek i said there were still nights all thru the week when ive been thru summer with plenty of hotties to fill out the clubs. not packed ofc. but enough to keep me busy.

manc on the other hand you're hard pressed to find a full club on any night now- even when it was freshers noone went out-worst freshers ive experienced last year i think of my life. dunno why such a big place cant fill up a single club.

hence why im jumping ship for leeds come xmas.
Original post by Harambulus
Sure but liek i said there were still nights all thru the week when ive been thru summer with plenty of hotties to fill out the clubs. not packed ofc. but enough to keep me busy.

manc on the other hand you're hard pressed to find a full club on any night now- even when it was freshers noone went out-worst freshers ive experienced last year i think of my life. dunno why such a big place cant fill up a single club.

hence why im jumping ship for leeds come xmas.

Simple, there are more clubs to choose from so places will not get as packed and clubs are forced to compete more, though when I went to the Printworks that was really busy.
Well I think it might have more to do with places being alot more spread out in manc. There are alto more student nights in leeds from my experiences of trips over there. There seems to be several competing nights most nights in student times just liek manc's haydays tho manc now there is only like one half busy one per night.

I should really put all this useless club knowledge to use and be a promoter but from what Ive seen its hard times out there :P ****ign recession.
Original post by Tim99

Friday nights at The Well are alright for metal! I'm moving across to Leeds in September too, but I live pretty nearby already. :smile:
Original post by antipathyx
Friday nights at The Well are alright for metal! I'm moving across to Leeds in September too, but I live pretty nearby already. :smile:

Cool, thanks for the info :smile: Gonna check that one out
Reply 31
Original post by antipathyx

Cheers, I'll check it out.
Reply 32
Monday - BED nightclub/Halo (quid night)
Tuesday - Space
Wednesday - BED nightclub
Thursday - Mission
Friday - warehouse
Saturday/Sunday - Pub as it's just full of older knobheads.
Reply 33
Update:
Got dragged in Propaganda tonight. Just not feeling it. The bouncers are ****ers, the no chewing gum rule is silly. The bouncer just took chewing gum out of my hand immediately after i shown what was in my pockets (the search policy) and threw it straight into the bin. Rude as hell. I wasn't even drunk. I challenged him and said why does that policy exist, but again more talking to me like i'm some sort of dumb muppet. Could have said beforehand 'dump it into the bin or you aren't getting in'.

Is the search policy also necessary? You're unlikely as hell to have someone bring a knife to this place, an event whose main audience are students and commercial indie followers. Pulled a cheeky joke saying to the bouncer that I haven't been searched in a club since I went to see Wu Tang live and said it'd be rude not to metal detect me too. Student clubs are the safest sorts of events around. Just full of studenty shenanigans.

The vodka and coke is pretty cheap and reasonable, but not sure about the other drinks. The music again is still same old same old anthems. Propaganda repeats itself every week. Fun on first time, but its same old same old second time. Chain club night full of branding and promo **** which lacks soul.

I've been to propaganda a lot and never encountered a problem with chewing gum or arsey bouncers... just sayin'
Original post by livelove
I've been to propaganda a lot and never encountered a problem with chewing gum or arsey bouncers... just sayin'

Doesn't matter Propaganda and the 02 are still ****e. Better venues and nights all around leeds.

Agree with King Calz. In general Leeds is pretty **** on a Saturday. Full of old knobheads who walk down Call Lane thinking they're 10 men. Students are generally no trouble at all. All the trouble comes from the locals and the inbreds who travel from places like Bradford and Huddersfield.

I tend to forget about the pubs out of the centre. Lots of decent places around. For example Chapel Allerton is a place not many students will venture to, but there's lots of nice bars like Further North on Harrogate Road
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Doesn't matter Propaganda and the 02 are still ****e. Better venues and nights all around leeds.

Agree with King Calz. In general Leeds is pretty **** on a Saturday. Full of old knobheads who walk down Call Lane thinking they're 10 men. Students are generally no trouble at all. All the trouble comes from the locals and the inbreds who travel from places like Bradford and Huddersfield.

I tend to forget about the pubs out of the centre. Lots of decent places around. For example Chapel Allerton is a place not many students will venture to, but there's lots of nice bars like Further North on Harrogate Road

Agreed. Not seen many fights happening in Leeds and the only one i can remember which was actually a proper fight was a saturday night....at Evolution...with two guys obviously not students. Pumped up Geordie Shore wannabe's with their fake tan who have saved up all week just so they can go out and try and pick an easy fight with young students. Stay in the pub on a saturday or a flat/house party.
Been round the Greek Street area on weekdays a few times. Pretty student free round there but pricey. Went into All Bar One. The service is really good

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Lots of Freshers seem to be asking me the way to Tiger Tiger :s-smilie:
Reply 38
[QUOTE=All the trouble comes from the locals and the inbreds who travel from places like Bradford and Huddersfield.

bugger off Huddersfield isn't half as full of inbreds as Leeds any Yorkshireman could tell you that. Try not to judge when you don't actually know the area and end up spreading malicious rumours to other posters.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Fadedlady
bugger off Huddersfield isn't half as full of inbreds as Leeds any Yorkshireman could tell you that. Try not to judge when you don't actually know the area and end up spreading malicious rumours to other posters.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

So I'm supposed to apologize? Lol I've lived in Hudds. You lot really don't like Leeds do ya haha and you lot are so patriotic and proud lol. Leeds is a waaaaaaay better town for nightlife.

Anyway its surely not students that cause trouble. It's locals and local ***** from around west Yorks (happy now I didn't single out Bradford and Hudds). You're saying all the people who start **** in Leeds are from Leeds? Yeah there's a fair share of ****ers here, but Srsly?

Anyway, this is a thread about best clubs and bars in LEEDS. Why don't you contribute?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest