The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Bubbles!
yeah same, you know youre going to enjoy the lessons because they're not compulsory. What subkect are you doing fj1?

French, Spanish, Mandarin and English Lit.
I can't wait to start. Have applied for three, have my first interview on Monday!
Reply 382
Like many of you said or mentioned. Sixth form is great, you get to know the teachers well, lower years look up to you and asks you questions etc. But its not all fun in A-level, im in year 13 now and A2 is well hard compare to AS and obviously nothing compared to GCSE. So being a sixth form really means - getting yourself together and doing things the way you want.
SO ENJOY YOUR TIME NOW IN GCSE =D well, six form is fun too hehe
Hi!
I remember first posting on here about moving into sixth form because I was well worried!
Got GCSE results and came to sixth form aaaaand -------- its absolutly fine, have some of the best laughs in the lessons now they just have such a different atmosphere, the teachers just are themselves a lot more!

Seriously its not as insane as everyone makes out and the jump from GCSE is made easier by the fact the teachers slowly nurse you up to standard!
seriously, if you don't go to sixth form, you'll regret it. Sixth form isn't as bad as you think it may be and although more work, you'll have tons of fun as well aaaand uni will be amazing!!!
how exactly is there more work at 6th form- you do less subjects so surely you have the same amount of work its just concentrated into fewer subjects? I am well aware that I have yet to experience this and have a feeling that I am gonna get a big shock come when I have my induction week!
mammamia:0
how exactly is there more work at 6th form- you do less subjects so surely you have the same amount of work its just concentrated into fewer subjects? I am well aware that I have yet to experience this and have a feeling that I am gonna get a big shock come when I have my induction week!

Nope, you have a lot more to learn in around the same amount of time, you also get more homework to do than GCSE, which you can't just leave till the last minute most times, it can take anything from 15 mins, to a couple of hours. Also, the content is a lot more in depth, you can't do at A level what you did at GSCE and expect to coast through. If I didn't revise for science, I'd get an E sure, if I revise, a B at least, but you need to work your but off really. You'll understand the shock and step up. :woo: :biggrin:
well i think if you are used to working hard for your GCSEs then A-levels won't be too much of a shock.

I knew a boy who was really clever (he got an oxbridge offer) and one of the exam boards lost his exam papaer so he got rejected. That's a sad case but it can happen to anyone!
mammamia:0

You can't get to grips with the workload until you've got it. I always thought that the workload wouldn't be much more than GCSE, but it really really is. There's a lot of content, and a lot of detail to know. Basically, A Levels are crap.
becky.fm
Basically, A Levels are crap.

Correct, they really are.
Whilst I don't have any experience of maths/sciencey A levels, I've heard from friends that they are content filled and apparently some of what you learn at GCSE is either plain wrong, or has been moved to another science :eek: Correct me if I'm wrong though?

As for essay subjects, my sixth form hands them out thick and fast. English requires a much higher skill of writing (I look at my GCSE essays and positively cringe. Languages also are MUCH harder- basically, if your vocabulary's not up to scratch, you'll fail :shifty:

So yes, they're crap, but worth it really :biggrin:
MewMachine
Whilst I don't have any experience of maths/sciencey A levels, I've heard from friends that they are content filled and apparently some of what you learn at GCSE is either plain wrong, or has been moved to another science :eek: Correct me if I'm wrong though?

As for essay subjects, my sixth form hands them out thick and fast. English requires a much higher skill of writing (I look at my GCSE essays and positively cringe. Languages also are MUCH harder- basically, if your vocabulary's not up to scratch, you'll fail :shifty:

Ditto about the essays. Especially true in History for me (I dont take English)
jelly1000
Ditto about the essays. Especially true in History for me (I dont take English)

Mmm, I do wish I had taken History, but our sixth form only allows us to take 4 due to timetable restrictions :frown:

Government and Politics is also a bad one for essays, I see you take that too :biggrin:
MewMachine

Yeah you're right - and i just hate them :biggrin:
They are rather hate-able aren't they :banghead:

What do you take then?
MewMachine
They are rather hate-able aren't they :banghead:

What do you take then?

I take Maths, Chemistry and Economics.. and did Physics until AS. Yourself?
Maths, Chemistry AND Economics? Oh I can see why you hate them :biggrin:

French, Spanish, Government and Politics, and English Literature :smile:
Only AS at the moment, will either drop Spanish or Lit...
MewMachine
Maths, Chemistry AND Economics? Oh I can see why you hate them :biggrin:

French, Spanish, Government and Politics, and English Literature :smile:
Only AS at the moment, will either drop Spanish or Lit...

Hahaha, well we do completely opposite subejcts then :tongue:
becky.fm

Ahhh yes, though if we're being fussy Politics and Economics go together nicely :yep: But I am incapable of Mathematics, it is beyond me :smile:

Oh and back on topic for 5 seconds- anyone who's doing languages, I had a mock oral today and it was HARD. As is the grammar :frown:
Aargh I hate sixth form! Wanna go back to school lol
becky.fm

How come you're 19 and still in 6th form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending