The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
LtCommanderData
Just got home from induction day. I'm well pleased with my form (two good mates, no absolute pricks) but not so pleased with my form tutor. Overall I'm still being uncharacteristically optimistic. I talked to one guy who I'd met at the beginning of summer at this welcome evening we had to do - when I met him then I nervously talked myself into looking like an idiot but today I saw him again and he didn't run in fear, so potential friend there. Proper start tomorrow!

When I started last year I was surpised at how long it took to get into things. For the first month, I didn't have to put myself under any strain at all.

Some top tips for you:

Get to know your tutors. The sooner the better, as they will prove invaluable around exam and report/statement time.

Meet new people. You probably won't be friends with everyone you have met within a month, but it is always nice to find people who have you have common interests with.

Prepare for exams in advance. Not only should you keep on top of your work (note: don't leave work until the eve of the deadline), but you should also start revision around two months in advance. That doesn't mean you need to completely go for it and do 12 hours per day immediately, it's impossible, but you should be trying to get an hour or two in per day.

And above all, have fun. I generally enjoyed my first year, apart from a few idiots who didn't know how to grow up, and I am generally looking forward to going back for my final year.

Can someone please help me?

What is the worst that could happen if I'm hating my Alevels?

I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths and Englit.
I only want to do Englit and maths.

Please don't ask why I'm doing them then.
paniking_and_not_revising

Parents want you to be a medic? :frown:
You'll probably resent doing the work for 2 difficult subjects that you aren't interested in. If I were you I'd study what I want and make the best of that.
So you might not do very well. However, you might soldier through it and do fine. :/
Dragon Warrior
argh! i found it hard enough with 4 as levels.!

Pmsl and me haha!
JonCha
When I started last year I was surpised at how long it took to get into things. For the first month, I didn't have to put myself under any strain at all.

Some top tips for you:

Get to know your tutors. The sooner the better, as they will prove invaluable around exam and report/statement time.

Meet new people. You probably won't be friends with everyone you have met within a month, but it is always nice to find people who have you have common interests with.

Prepare for exams in advance. Not only should you keep on top of your work (note: don't leave work until the eve of the deadline), but you should also start revision around two months in advance. That doesn't mean you need to completely go for it and do 12 hours per day immediately, it's impossible, but you should be trying to get an hour or two in per day.

And above all, have fun. I generally enjoyed my first year, apart from a few idiots who didn't know how to grow up, and I am generally looking forward to going back for my final year.

Hmm thanks.

Update on how I'm finding it so far: pretty good overall, I like my form and teachers and everything so far. Only thing I'm less happy about is the people in my computing class, but it isn't too bad. Only lesson I haven't had yet is physics. Overall - going well :smile:
LtCommanderData
Hmm thanks.

Update on how I'm finding it so far: pretty good overall, I like my form and teachers and everything so far. Only thing I'm less happy about is the people in my computing class, but it isn't too bad. Only lesson I haven't had yet is physics. Overall - going well :smile:

I started today! really enjoyed it, and there are some really nice people there, but i have two teachers for every subject which i have never had before, its odd!! but apart from that subjects going well! :biggrin:
I did my first politics lesson today... its the most dull subject ever xD
I really wasnted infused as I weas with my others (maths, fmaths, physics and history). Politics just made me depressed.

Also, i have 4 people in my form xD
paniking_and_not_revising

Depending on your school, most generally give you the first couple of days to switch around if you change your mind, or feel like you made the wrong decision. Some are more harsh than others though, and if everyone starts doing it they won't do it. Just talk to someone on the first day like a tutor or the sixth form head and find out what the procedure is, so you don't miss the boat by leaving it too long. Also remember most sixth forms won't let you just take two A-levels, and you'll most likely need three at least if you hope to go uni.
Reply 588
I'm starting on Monday. I'm really excited but kinda...well not scared exactly...
I'm quite a shy person and the idea of a new form and a bunch of new people is a bit intimidating. I just hope that I'm not with a group of 'trouble-makers'. All through secondary school my form was the worst behaved, even though it was just a few people. :eek3:
Reply 589
riteos ive just gone into year 12 and we're all just about to choose other stuff to do for life skills and thers an option to do critical thinking.
i was just wondering if its any use? like will it be good on ucas forms nd shizz?
Wat:Shark:Where
Depending on your school, most generally give you the first couple of days to switch around if you change your mind, or feel like you made the wrong decision. Some are more harsh than others though, and if everyone starts doing it they won't do it. Just talk to someone on the first day like a tutor or the sixth form head and find out what the procedure is, so you don't miss the boat by leaving it too long. Also remember most sixth forms won't let you just take two A-levels, and you'll most likely need three at least if you hope to go uni.

My college let you switch during the first week which starts on the 14th.
Well I need chemistry and biology for forensics so I'm stuck with those but I want to switch Literature for soemthing else. Any ideas?
livv_2009
riteos ive just gone into year 12 and we're all just about to choose other stuff to do for life skills and thers an option to do critical thinking.
i was just wondering if its any use? like will it be good on ucas forms nd shizz?

Critical Thinking, from what I can tell, is slightly better respected than General Studies, especially if you want to do essay based subjects at uni. However, it isn't included in offers very often, so it would just end up as a distraction from your really important offer-fulfilling subjects.

It can't do much harm to take it to AS, but think carefully about taking it in Yr 13.
livv_2009

I had the option of Critical Thinking or General Studies, took Critical Thinking as decent uni's do not except General Studies at all, but do except Critical Thinking for an As. But were not allowed to take it on for A2 because like someone else said they do not take it into account for A2.
Well I started 6th form today
Didn't go as planned, for the jump between the subjects that I am doing from GCSE to A level was huge! I know that people say that it is huge, but it is only when you actually start in the course that you know the jump. But hopefully, tomorrow will be better and I will do well! Cambridge, here I come lol :woo:
Started 6th form today and I hate it. It's completely rubbish.
Doublereedfreak
Started 6th form today and I hate it. It's completely rubbish.

You need to give it longer than a day :yes:

Hopefully things will improve over the next few days and weeks :yes:
I really like it. I've met loads of new people, and it's completely completely different.

Huuuge jump in the sciences though. Biology is awful atm.
it's quite good. the common room is a bit dry though... y13s monopolising it grrrrrr
w04andia
it's quite good. the common room is a bit dry though... y13s monopolising it grrrrrr

we have the opposite, the year 12s have stolen the entire common room :eek: I am not happy!
Reply 599
Started today, it was actually fun! Had my first lessons of Physics and Chemistry. The thing I noticed the most was the complete change in attitude from the teachers towards us. They were so much more relaxed. Oh and also the lack of disruption during lessons from people being idiots.

w04andia

It managed to stay quite even at my school. However the year 12s all stood in the middle feeling a wee bit lost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending