The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

today was so rubbish for me. I do not feel like a i learned anything and everyone is already so cliquey. We have only been in school for two days. I am just going to do my exams and take it in my stride.
My college is also like that Defined. I don't understand a word of what the chem teacher says. I learn in Bio and Maths is just ****. Haven't had psychology yet but since it is linked to bio, I'm looking forward to it. And we also have cliques. And I'm not in one.

Sooo, i've got a free period tomorrow with my half hour break. I was wondering, what could I do in that time? I haven't got much work yet to study from either.
Reply 622
Guys, I think the cliques might be just be people meeting up with friends from their previous schools at like break and stuff, hopefully, people they already know. In lessons, everyone's like strangers to each other but outside, everyone's in packs (not me though, because I only have a handful of friends who made it into my college)
I did become friends with one girl but she just buggers off when she meets one of her old friends. :frown:

I think I might as well just study for most of college during lunch and mostly during break and GTFO of there when I can leave. I can tell I won't be a fan of college.

I'll hopefully learn to drive before January and then I can get away with leaving campus in my car during breaks to go into town and eat on my own or something. or just drive.

I can't wait for uni though!!
paniking_and_not_revising
I didn't really make any friends today. There seem to be cliques at my college.

I just hanged mostly with a friend from school

I meet loads of people but then I don't really see them much again. :p:
Reply 625
I did become friends with one girl but she just buggers off when she meets one of her old friends. :frown:

I think I might as well just study for most of college during lunch and mostly during break and GTFO of there when I can leave. I can tell I won't be a fan of college.

I'll hopefully learn to drive before January and then I can get away with leaving campus in my car during breaks to go into town and eat on my own or something. or just drive.

I can't wait for uni though!!

Yeah see, it's like, all the people in lessons don't know each other so you think about making friends with those next to you, but then you all go to your old school friends after the lesson finishes - kinda tragic :frown:
goldlock
Yeah see, it's like, all the people in lessons don't know each other so you think about making friends with those next to you, but then you all go to your old school friends after the lesson finishes - kinda tragic :frown:

I know! And I hate it how everyone who I do go to, to talk to, just seem to ignore me. I also feel really insecure and so it makes it harder to talk to people. I always think people hate me.
I know! And I hate it how everyone who I do go to, to talk to, just seem to ignore me. I also feel really insecure and so it makes it harder to talk to people. I always think people hate me.

:hugs:

Trust me, I'm sure no one hates you - you are a bright, lovely person :smile:

I know what you mean about cliques, but it is probably just people seeing each other after long holiday and it is predictable for them to stick with their old friends. Just being friendly with people in lesson, outside, common room, wherever is a great start, especially now at the beginning of term when you can ask what subjects people are doing, what school they went to and what it is like bla bla...

Smiling and eye contact before launching into it seem to work :yep:

It is a big jump, but I'm sure we'll all settle into it soon. I for one definitely need to do more independent work, I'm pretty sure I'll end up drowning in homework soon enough :p:
Thanks Sun *hugs*

Why does everyone have common rooms and not us?
I don't know, but I like using the word - it is like something out of Harry Potter :awesome:
lol! I know! My college's town looks HP!
Lottsie93
ARGH GUYS! I just CANT DO AS LEVELS! All my other friends are managing fine and with 10 A*s and 1 A in GCSE's I thought I'd get on fine but in some subjects- Biol and chem the step up is just horrible and I just dont know how to adapt. I dont feel settled even though Ive been at the school for 5 years and know all the teachers. Does it get better? ...Right now Im tempted to find myself a rich husband... xxxx

I am in exactly the same position as you! I hate sixth form so far, and like you, I got good GCSEs (4A*, 6A and a B), was at the school for 5 years and I believed that I'd be ok! Not to mention that all my friends adore their courses :frown: ! I think maybe we're lacking a bit in confidence?

Loads of people do A levels, so by that assumption, maybe we're worrying too much about nothing :P?

I talked to my old RE teacher the other day about this, and he said that it's really common for the 'high fliers' (that's what he actually said :P) who have already been at the school to not settle in very well.

He said that it's because we're used to a 'safe learning environment', which has just been taken away from us (even though it hasn't really, because we're in the same place, just being treated differently).

Meh, maybe it just takes time! x
There is such a big step up with subjects like Bio,chem and maths!
Reply 633
I was so shocked with the jump! Made me realise i basically did nothing at all for GCSE!
^^ Same.

I only manages at GCSE because it was memorisation and no understanding and now, no matter how many times i go over things chances are i won't understand the work.
I'm doing fine with my maths, further maths, computing and physics. However, I had considered carrying on biology and some other subjects I was good at at GCSE and I'm so glad I stuck to the stuff I'm best at.

Having so much maths is great (because I like maths), but is a lot of work.

What I'm liking most about the 6th form so far is getting into senior maths society, debating society, college society etc. (We call them societies, that's just my school thinking it's better than it is).
Reply 636
I hate A-levels man. They are sooooooooo hard.
Reply 637
Lottsie93
ARGH GUYS! I just CANT DO AS LEVELS! All my other friends are managing fine and with 10 A*s and 1 A in GCSE's I thought I'd get on fine but in some subjects- Biol and chem the step up is just horrible and I just dont know how to adapt. I dont feel settled even though Ive been at the school for 5 years and know all the teachers. Does it get better? ...Right now Im tempted to find myself a rich husband... xxxx

i got pretty much the exact same gcses, and ive never found something so ******* hard in my life. all the subjects i do, sciences and maths, are extremely hard.
(Bit late reply for this, but still...)

I think I've finally gotten over the initial shock of the change! At first I thought I wouldn't be able to cope but now am settling in and staying on top of the workload.

Those still thinking it's too hard; don't panic, if you're really struggling GO TO A TEACHER. At first with Chemistry I was really worried that I didn't get any of it so summed up the courage to see my teacher and he was really helpful and understanding and arranged to see me in one of my frees to explain everything until I wasn't just content, but confident about it.

My subjects:

Chemistry: Very difficult, but actually really interesting! Love doing experiments in my new lab coat :biggrin:

English Lit: LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE IT! This has just confirmed the fact I want to do it at uni! It's so good!! Easily the most amount of work compared to the other subjects but I enjoy it so it doesn't feel as bad.

History: Great too! Doing the Rise of Hitler and Women's Rights at the moment and both are really interesting.

Maths: UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! There's always one you regret. It's so mind-numbingly easy yet after half an hour I seem to just switch off each lesson. Although both my teachers rock for this so it makes up for it :p:
I can't wait for the transition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending