The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you looked at the list on Exeter Uni's website? There seems to be loads of them! http://www.guild.exeter.ac.uk/opportunities/societies/listing

I'm also hoping to go to Exeter, what sort of societies are you interested in?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hi guys! There are loooooads of societies at Exeter, all of which (or at least most of which :p: ) can be viewed on the link *KatyE* gave. And if you spot a glaring gap in the society listings, you can always start one of your own when you get here :smile: ChocSoc was only founded last year and I am the original Social Secretary :rock:
There are loads of opportunities society-wise, and I almost wore myself out last year because of doing so much stuff! I still got 2 marks off a First last year though, so definitely worth it, I had a blast :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sounds great!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanx very much. Some of the societies look, er.... interesting!
Reply 5
Such as? lol
Reply 6
Was just thinking, would anyone be interested in a CAMRA society?
Also, does anyone know anything about the Green society?
Reply 7
There is a pink chopper society and welly-wogging society. Not sure exactly what they do. The dogwalking society is my favourite, followed by the christian jam society.
Reply 8
macrodollar
Was just thinking, would anyone be interested in a CAMRA society?

What is a CAMRA society?
And TheBoosh, what are you on about?
Reply 9
dont know if its spelt the same - but CAMRA is a drinking society, judges ale and beer etc, goes around local pubs and taste what they sell. trainspotters of the beer world.

honestly - the societies i mentioned exist at exeter.
Well that may be the social aspect of it, but the main point of it is to promote real beer rather than lager - Campaign for Real Ale.
Reply 11
The Boosh
honestly - the societies i mentioned exist at exeter.

right, which is why they're all on the official list provided on the Guild website *not*
Reply 12
chocolate and cocktail societies sound good to me :wink:
Reply 13
Love the look & sound of the Dance Soc!
Reply 14
one of my best friends is social sec for dance soc next year - you'll love him! ha its awesome, but im no dancer - do a lot of stuff tho and very very sociable x
Reply 15
Can anyone tell me what the drama society is like at Exeter?
Reply 16
There's more than one, so it depends what you're interested in! The main three are:

EutCo - Exeter University Theatre Company. They do a whole range of plays, from Shakespeare to Noel Coward to contemporary plays. Audition only.

Footlights - musical theatre. For your audition, you have to sing a piece of your choice unaccompanied, read from a piece of script that they give you, and copy a portion of a dance from memory that they demonstrate in front of you. Audition only.

Gilbert and Sullivan - as the name suggests, this society performs musicals written by the famous duo. Anyone can join.

Open auditions also take place occasionally. All of these take up an extreme amount of time, though, and you would probably only have the time to join 1 (or possibly 2 if you want no free time whatsoever).
You must all roll up, roll up to join the biggest and the best society at Exeter. That's right- the Debating Society, Deb Soc for short, or as we've unofficially renamed it, Booze Soc! We spend the vast majority of our budget on socials (winter and spring balls, BBQs, comedy and cocktail nights, to name but a few) with most of that money going on- yep, you guessed it, booze- and we also find the time and money to have weekly workshops and debates with more than our fair share of guest speakers. And our membership cards are cool, black with gold writing like credit/debit cards, not like the crappy green pieces of paper that other societies give you :p:

Sorry, just trying out my sales pitch. In case you haven't guessed, I'm on the recruitment team for Deb Soc for Freshers' Week, so you will see me wandering around campus in an I ;heart; Mass Debating T-shirt handing you stickers, leaflets and various other propaganda bits and bobs!

Apart from that, Choc Soc is (obviously) amazing too.
Reply 18
kellywood_5
Apart from that, Choc Soc is (obviously) amazing too.

And that is the correct answer.

*gets onto the new treasurer to allocate budget for extra chocolate for people who big up ChocSoc*

:p:
Reply 19
I have to recommend the Gilbert and Sullivan Society.

We're to be performing The Mikado next year, and if last year's show is anything to go by then it's going to be great!

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending