The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm not from the UK so I'm unfamiliar with the whole process!
I'm currently on a gap year before going to university. In Ireland, it is impossible to get work experience for medicine. I have some experience, but would love some more. From what I have read online, most UK applicants have some work experience before university. How do they get it? Do you apply somewhere or could you just write a letter? I know it would be unlikely that I'd get anything but I just thought I'd try anyway.
Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
What are you finding difficult in Ireland and what have you tried so far?

Most applicants have medical work experience - it has become an expectation of medical schools. I'm sure people have been accepted without any but they will definitely be the exceptions.
Original post by lu1219
Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm not from the UK so I'm unfamiliar with the whole process!
I'm currently on a gap year before going to university. In Ireland, it is impossible to get work experience for medicine. I have some experience, but would love some more. From what I have read online, most UK applicants have some work experience before university. How do they get it? Do you apply somewhere or could you just write a letter? I know it would be unlikely that I'd get anything but I just thought I'd try anyway.
Thanks for any help.

Well work experience that is required usually refers to Hospital work experience where you shadow a ward or a few wards. Some hospitals have a work experience scheme for people in their local area and information about it can usually be found on the hospital website. Most hospitals will have someone in charge of volunteering services and you can e-mail them about arranging work experience. Another way is to contact the doctors by e-mail asking if you can shadow them for a week. The easiest to get it is if you know someone or your parents know a friend who is a doctor and see if they will let you shadow them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending