The Student Room Group

I don't know what career to go into! ;/

Hey, so I am nearly 17 and I will have to start making big choices soon about whether or not I want to go to university. See, ever since I was a young boy I never knew what I wanted to be. Teachers always said "You got plenty of time", but now I am here worried about everything.

I am currently on my first year of a Level 3 BTEC IT Extended Diploma but I don't know what I want to after this course.

I always thought about University but after looking at all these fees (£9,000 is loads, I don't want to be paying that back for the rest of my life...) I don't really fancy it (especially being lower class, I really don't like the idea of being in debt or spending loads of money). All I can find is people saying how I won't find a well paid job with a degree, and I don't really care for the "university experience" that some people talk about because I'm not the type of guy to be social.

I did have a little think about being a teacher but I really want a job with high pay. Police popped up on my news feed today about job opening (but me being 17, I can't apply...), the trouble is all I heard loads of different people apply for them jobs too. I did have a little think about Games Development but after looking online it seems like a lot of people don't make it and call it a waste of time and stuff.

So I really you guys. What should I do? Where do I start? Do I go university or do I look for a job?

Thanks for your time.
Reply 1
Perhaps software engineering?

Studying Computer Science?
Reply 2
I actually went into computer science/software engineering but plan on dropping out partially because i'm not the sociable kind of person and its very orientated towards group work which I try to avoid. Suffice to say the games development degrees are built on people who are working together, so getting together in groups is essential in the success of whichever company you may be employed at the end of it.

I did the btec in IT just like you and got top grades but I didn't feel that having these grades was enough, more to the point the btec course didn't provide the skills like teamwork and social connectivity, as it was completely assessed on coursework which was marked on an individual basis. If I knew I would have failed the first 2 years of university because of social impediments, which obviously I wouldn't have, but if I had I would have done what I would do once I finish this year, which is to go to the job centre and apply for JSA and actively look for work.

In the mindset that I wouldn't succeed in university due to the circumstances mentioned, I would think that looking for a job is the only path I have left, then once I attain the skills, I could look to do other things that might interest me like apprenticeships or go back into higher education if possible.
Original post by Moonschool
Hey, so I am nearly 17 and I will have to start making big choices soon about whether or not I want to go to university. See, ever since I was a young boy I never knew what I wanted to be. Teachers always said "You got plenty of time", but now I am here worried about everything.

I am currently on my first year of a Level 3 BTEC IT Extended Diploma but I don't know what I want to after this course.

I always thought about University but after looking at all these fees (£9,000 is loads, I don't want to be paying that back for the rest of my life...) I don't really fancy it (especially being lower class, I really don't like the idea of being in debt or spending loads of money). All I can find is people saying how I won't find a well paid job with a degree, and I don't really care for the "university experience" that some people talk about because I'm not the type of guy to be social.

I did have a little think about being a teacher but I really want a job with high pay. Police popped up on my news feed today about job opening (but me being 17, I can't apply...), the trouble is all I heard loads of different people apply for them jobs too. I did have a little think about Games Development but after looking online it seems like a lot of people don't make it and call it a waste of time and stuff.

So I really you guys. What should I do? Where do I start? Do I go university or do I look for a job?

Thanks for your time.

You might want to have a look into how university fees are payed. It's a graduate tax of sorts, with a relatively small percentage of your income deducted, but only when you're earning over £21 000 and it's wiped after 30 years, so you wouldn't have to worry about paying it off or being indebted your whole life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Have you considered an advanced apprenticeship? I've seen quite a few available in IT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending