The Student Room Group

Is anyone else applying for jobs working in ski resorts?

I'm hopefully going to work in a ski resort for part of my gap year and wanted to see if there was anyone i could speak to about it?
Have an interview next week with Crystal which I am terrified about! It's a group assessment (havent much idea what one is) :confused: and i have to prepare a presentation.
Anyone got any advice?
Lizzie x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.

Don't go with crystal! I've heard hideous things...
Reply 2
What've you heard about Crystal??!
Bit worried now....:confused:
Reply 3
Basically, the bigger companies, Crystal, Thomson etc obviously employ more staff, which decreases the amount of individual support per person. If a resort manager has 50 people in resort as opposed to 5, then they'll have less support.

However, I thought you were applying for chalet hosting, which is what I was referring to, being as you're not it probably doesn't matter.
One of my mates worked for Crystal in Meribel last season - he loved it. You will always get people who didn't like working for a particular company; unfortunately, you rarely hear about those who had a good time, as it's taken for granted.

I worked for Mark Warner, once of the biggest tour operators, and it was the best 6 months of my life.
Reply 5
I can completely imagine it being the best 6 months of your life. I'm counting down the days, only 16 weeks worth of days is a very long time........
Reply 6
I've applied to other companies....so am not def going with crystal, depends how interview thing goes.
Thinking of doing my presentation on the fact that crystal fly to chambery rather than like most others lyon...therefore less time sat on a coach. not really sure if its a decent point tho.
Oh, I meant to say - www.natives.co.uk - best seasonnaires website in the world. If people on their forum don't know it, then you don't need to. Ask abouyt your presentation there if you need help.
Reply 8
If you can go as far as canada, theres no better place than Whistler! Just come back from a gap year skiiing and boarding there. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/index.htm take a look !
Reply 9
BiscuitFuelled
Oh, I meant to say - www.natives.co.uk - best seasonnaires website in the world. If people on their forum don't know it, then you don't need to. Ask abouyt your presentation there if you need help.

DEfinitely!

I have an interview/assessment/group thing with Crystal Finest on Thursday. :biggrin: Already been offered 2 chalet jobs now, yay!
Reply 10
I got offered a job with crystal :smile: , but have to sign a contract and pay a deposit type thing. and had got an interview with ski plan/TOPS but will hav already agreed to go with crystal and wont no if they could have offered a better package, if that makes any sense.
natives is the best/most useful website
Out of interest, what package are Crystal offering?
Lizzie88
I got offered a job with crystal :smile: , but have to sign a contract and pay a deposit type thing.

The deposit is called a bond, and it stops you running off with your ski pass and other stuff when you get to resort. If you leave before the end of the season, then you don't get it back!
Oh man Id love to do that.
If i could give one piece of advice: Do it.

I so nearly didn't!
Reply 15
Crystal offer ski pass, shared accomadation, insurance, ski/boot hire, RUBBBish pay (as expected) 219.95 i think it was per month with 1 day off a week, travel to resort.
Oh gay, I have to do one of these presentation things too......

What did you do yours on? I'm doing mine now but it's going to be way over a minute! You can't make a minute long presentation amusing!!
Reply 17
I did mine on the fact that crystal fly to chambery rather than lyon. I would advise you to take some props/posters or something as i thought mine seemed quite inferior to all the others cuz i just had some prompt cards...although i still got the job. :smile:
Dont no if you'll be doing the same thing but we had questions on what types of fire extinguishers u use on different types of fires and some quite detailed things i didnt expect at all.
o yeah and theres no timings or anything on the presentation some people went way over a minute
Well, I'm going completely against the grain, nothing to do with anything really on the website......!! I'm doing a "day in the life....Of a Chalet Host" (quite comical in essence, whether or not it'll go down well!!) as it does say under recruitment a short thing about it! Oh well!! Was yours at their offices in Kingston or is the Crystal Finest in a different place to the Crystal ones?

Hopefully it'll go ok. Where have they offered you the position? I'd still really like to go to Verbier, but I'm not too fussed on where anymore, as long as the nightlife is AOK!
Reply 19
Mine was at Coventry as that was the closest place to me. They just ask if you have a preference of what country you'd like, and i said France cuz i've been there loads. But you dont find out what resort until you get the contract.

Latest