The Student Room Group

Literacy Test Question

Hi, I thought I asked this question before but I can't find it, so I'll ask again.

With the comprehension part of the literacy test what is the difference between the Implicitly contradicted and contradicted options. I always seem to opt for the wrong one. Can someone explain the differences between them and maybe give an example?
Implicitly means implied. So it will not explicitly contradict the statement but the implication is there.
For example, an explicit contradiction to the statement "the sky is green" would be "the sky is not green". An implicit contradiction would be "the sky has shades of red in it". It a contradiction, because if the sky is red then it can't be green, but it doesn't explicitly say that the sky is not green like the first example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok, I think I'm getting it now. So an explicit contradiction is an outright contradiction with no proof whatsoever, but a implicit contradiction is more ambiguous where it doesn't agree with the statement but doesn't say it's right either.
Reply 3
Original post by crashpepperoni
Oh ok, I think I'm getting it now. So an explicit contradiction is an outright contradiction with no proof whatsoever, but a implicit contradiction is more ambiguous where it doesn't agree with the statement but doesn't say it's right either.

You're kind of there.
An explicit contradiction means that in the text, the words EXPLICITLY CONTRADICT the statement. So if the statement is 'girls are better at maths than boys' then in the text you would be able to find words that say something like 'girls are not better at maths than boys' or 'boys are better at maths than girls'.

If it's an implicit contradiction, then you won't find the words like above, as the contradiction is IMPLIED only. So, using the same example, you might have some text that says something like, 'many girls have confidence issues when it come to numeracy and this is evident in the end of year exam results'. So that statement isn't explicitly saying that girls aren't as good at maths as boys, but it is IMPLYING it. So it is an IMPLIED CONTRADICTION as opposed to an explicit one.

Hope that helps!
Original post by crashpepperoni

No, I don't think you're getting it. It's nothing to do with 'proof', it's to do with words.

Does it outright contradict the statement, or is it implied ie do you take the information based on other statements in the text?
Ah ok, thank you both! Saying that it was a IMPLIED CONTRADICTION really helped me get it, I never really thought about what the words meant before. I've done the four practice tests on education.gov.uk but would love some more to go through before Wed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending