The Student Room Group

Is a Bsc Accounting degree worth doing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AW1983
If you want a degree for the sake of having a degree and going on graduate schemes, then I would recommend any solid academic subject. I personally don't view more obscure degrees as necessarily less academic, but a lot of people do. With that in mind, if you place it safe, these are good ones:

Economics
History
Modern Languages
Computer Science
Sciences (any)
Mathematics
English Literature
Psychology
Sociology (but not some derivative of it)
Law (very good if you later want to be a CoSec)
Linguistics
International Relations
Politics
Philosophy (yes, Philosophy is a hard subject!)

There are probably a few others but you get the idea. Occasionally people are sniffy about Sociology or Philosophy, but normally they're the type of people who think they know a lot more than they actually do and believe me they're not good people to work with let alone for.

I'd probably be inclined to agree with most apart from Sociology and maybe Psychology.
Reply 21
I've known recent graduates getting into big 4 firms with both Sociology and Psychology (one of the partners at my firm did Psychology). Psychology is a well respected and demanding academic degree and recruiters are generally aware of that. Sociology doesn't get a good press because of some of the 'sociological' degrees that are out there. I'm talking about the highly vocational degrees that are only about 30% sociology and 70% fact recall.

Interestingly, many people who deride sociology don't know what it is. They seem to associate it with bizarre social experiments and 1960s hippies rather than the influential writings of Max Weber or Emile Durkheim! As someone who did History, I can certainly attest to the increasing overlap of the two fields and have a lot of respect for people who study the subject.
Original post by AW1983
I've known recent graduates getting into big 4 firms with both Sociology and Psychology (one of the partners at my firm did Psychology). Psychology is a well respected and demanding academic degree and recruiters are generally aware of that. Sociology doesn't get a good press because of some of the 'sociological' degrees that are out there. I'm talking about the highly vocational degrees that are only about 30% sociology and 70% fact recall.

Interestingly, many people who deride sociology don't know what it is. They seem to associate it with bizarre social experiments and 1960s hippies rather than the influential writings of Max Weber or Emile Durkheim! As someone who did History, I can certainly attest to the increasing overlap of the two fields and have a lot of respect for people who study the subject.

I was talking about Sociology from experience. I took one module at a red-brick uni and it was air. The assessment to the 'teaching'.

Psychology I was iffy about mocking but they have some very low starting salaries, even among the better universities.
Is there anyone who has or is doing an accounting degree ? Can they tell me how they are finding it ? How hard is it?
Original post by M1011
Given I am an accountant at a top firm (who also has a degree incidentally), perhaps try listening?

The degree is irrelevant to being an accountant. To be an accountant you need a professional qualification; ACA, ACCA or CIMA. Once you have this qualification, the degree is pretty much irrelevant if you want to stay in the accounting field (particularly if you've done essentially the same thing at uni). It may well be beneficial moving outside of accounting, but not really within it.

Becoming a chartered account takes 3 years total, not 6. You are not "working on top to pay off your debts", in most instances you are on a training contract where your employers pays the cost of your qualification and gives you appropriate paid leave to complete the exams. A very different scenario to what your describe.

The link is meaningless in the context of accountancy, where it is the professional qualification and experience that matter. That is what is being discussed, hence why your 'proof' is meaningless.

Great, and you obviously were not reading what I was saying. I am pretty sure you need a degree to do a professional accountancy training or the equivalent in terms of higher education - correct me if I am wrong, as most degrees take three years and the training takes three this adds up to six. As to working off your degree, it is effectively paid off as your wage is not as high as a qualified accountant. My argument is relevant as I was answering the question of whether accounting and finance degree is useful, not whether you need it to be an accountant. " perhaps try listening" you cannot listen to text unless it talks to you. Also, the degree might be irrelevant once you have the qualification, but it is very useful so as to be accepted onto a course. Of course any degree will suffice, but it does not mean an accounting and finance degree in particular will be any less useful in getting onto the course. Sorry my argument is a bit jumbled up, just writing whatever comes into my head at the time.
Original post by AW1983
That's wrong too and can be an idea that only an extreme form of student angst could muster. When you have the letters ACA after your name, no one who matters cares if you have a degree or not. The idea that a senior manager would make a choice of a particular candidate because they had, say, a BA (Hons) in Classics in addition to their ACA is laughable. They'll make their decision on the basis of the RIGHT qualification (ACA, ACCA or CIMA normally, maybe CIPFA), solid experience and a good interview.

And before you say 'but all other things being equal,' you're delving into hypothetical situations that have probably never existed in the history of recruitment. And even if they did, half would be academic minded and value the degree whilst the other half would admire the commercial savvy and favour the school leaver.

And again, how many school leavers get onto a professional accounting course without a degree compared to the numbers with a degree? I am betting people with a degree are much more likely to not just get onto the course, but also to be able to complete it.
Reply 26
Original post by aliman65
Great, and you obviously were not reading what I was saying. I am pretty sure you need a degree to do a professional accountancy training or the equivalent in terms of higher education - correct me if I am wrong, as most degrees take three years and the training takes three this adds up to six. As to working off your degree, it is effectively paid off as your wage is not as high as a qualified accountant. My argument is relevant as I was answering the question of whether accounting and finance degree is useful, not whether you need it to be an accountant. " perhaps try listening" you cannot listen to text unless it talks to you. Also, the degree might be irrelevant once you have the qualification, but it is very useful so as to be accepted onto a course. Of course any degree will suffice, but it does not mean an accounting and finance degree in particular will be any less useful in getting onto the course. Sorry my argument is a bit jumbled up, just writing whatever comes into my head at the time.

I'm going to talk real slow for you.... you. don't. need. a. degree. to. become. an. accountant. Get it? I work with accountants who don't have degrees, there is no debate to be had here.

So no, you are wrong. Your entire post is nonsense. My favourite part of the nonsense was this;

"As to working off your degree, it is effectively paid off as your wage is not as high as a qualified accountant."

Can you name me a career where your salary does not go up over time? Do you not see how nonsensical your argument is?
Original post by M1011
I'm going to talk real slow for you.... you. don't. need. a. degree. to. become. an. accountant. Get it? I work with accountants who don't have degrees, there is no debate to be had here.

So no, you are wrong. Your entire post is nonsense. My favourite part of the nonsense was this;

"As to working off your degree, it is effectively paid off as your wage is not as high as a qualified accountant."

Can you name me a career where your salary does not go up over time? Do you not see how nonsensical your argument is?

When did I say you need a degree to be an accountant? Now you are the one who is being slow and rude. All I said is that a degree helps. And how can you talk slow on a forum that uses text, you really are an idiot haha...
Ok, salaries increase with time. I could never prove your salary would be lower if your a trainee. But you could also not disprove that it is not originally lowered to compensate for the firms costs of training you. There is no point arguing with someone that simply ignores the other person which is what you are doing. I never once said you need to be a graduate to be an accountant so I don't really know what you are trying to argue. I guess you are doing one of the easier professional accounting courses, as you don't seem to have the brainpower to manage anything difficult?
Reply 28
When did I say you need a degree to be an accountant? Now you are the one who is being slow and rude. All I said is that a degree helps. And how can you talk slow on a forum that uses text, you really are an idiot haha...
Ok, salaries increase with time. I could never prove your salary would be lower if your a trainee. But you could also not disprove that it is not originally lowered to compensate for the firms costs of training you. There is no point arguing with someone that simply ignores the other person which is what you are doing. I never once said you need to be a graduate to be an accountant so I don't really know what you are trying to argue. I guess you are doing one of the easier professional accounting courses, as you don't seem to have the brainpower to manage anything difficult?

Please see the exact quote below where you said it. I would have thought you would remember your own comments...

I am pretty sure you need a degree to do a professional accountancy training or the equivalent in terms of higher education - correct me if I am wrong, as most degrees take three years and the training takes three this adds up to six.

Your inability to understand the written word is incredible. It was emphasis, read a book and learn to write a coherent post before you attempt to talk to me about my use of English. Seriously, just try and read one of your own posts!

Your comments regarding people working to pay off their debts are just nonsense. Good training providers provide full time pay during months of study leave whilst paying for all tuition and exams. This is whilst offering competitive salaries that are consistent with entry level in the majority of other fields. Clearly what you're saying is nonsense, you just don't have the life experience to understand that. I'm guessing you're a student with no actual experience?

"I guess you are doing one of the easier professional accounting courses"

Again you prove your complete lack of knowledge. What are these easier professional accountancy qualifications you speak of? You do realise all three (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) get you chartered in much the same way right? So your comment is absolute nonsense As I've already explained to you, I work at one of the big 4. For goodness sake google it before you start talking more crap.
Reply 29
And again, how many school leavers get onto a professional accounting course without a degree compared to the numbers with a degree? I am betting people with a degree are much more likely to not just get onto the course, but also to be able to complete it.

Unsubstantiated nonsense. I've known plenty of people who did their ACA beginning at 18 either via AAT or directly (and most of them didn't even have to get a degree as part of a school leaver scheme). At the end of it, they've had a qualification at Level 7, higher than a degree. The idea that someone who has gone and studied a degree, any degree (Physical Education perhaps?) is somehow better equipped just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Also, just to be clear:

1) You do not need a degree to become an ACA. That has been the case for a number of years;

2) School leaver schemes have the same UCAS requirements as graduate schemes.
Reply 30
Original post by wannabeaca
I was talking about Sociology from experience. I took one module at a red-brick uni and it was air. The assessment to the 'teaching'.

Psychology I was iffy about mocking but they have some very low starting salaries, even among the better universities.

Psychology is a very competitive field to get in to and in much the same way as Law students, most will never work in the field they qualified in. This generally indicates why starting salaries are lower.
Original post by M1011
Please see the exact quote below where you said it. I would have thought you would remember your own comments...

Your inability to understand the written word is incredible. It was emphasis, read a book and learn to write a coherent post before you attempt to talk to me about my use of English. Seriously, just try and read one of your own posts!

Your comments regarding people working to pay off their debts are just nonsense. Good training providers provide full time pay during months of study leave whilst paying for all tuition and exams. This is whilst offering competitive salaries that are consistent with entry level in the majority of other fields. Clearly what you're saying is nonsense, you just don't have the life experience to understand that. I'm guessing you're a student with no actual experience?

"I guess you are doing one of the easier professional accounting courses"

Again you prove your complete lack of knowledge. What are these easier professional accountancy qualifications you speak of? You do realise all three (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) get you chartered in much the same way right? So your comment is absolute nonsense As I've already explained to you, I work at one of the big 4. For goodness sake google it before you start talking more crap.

"Competitive salaries" - £21k starting salary is nothing for any company in the top four. The sudden jump of around £40k+ once you qualify just as a reward is it? That is double the salary after 3 years, a very big jump for a pay rise. Many starting salaries at big companies are above £25-30k a year, so why are the big four paying so little unless of course it is the cost of training them?
A lot of people I know doing the course joke about the easier courses. SO SORRY IF THEY ARE ALL WRONG - just listening to conversation they were making.
It doesn't make really make sense why universities offer the degree course then - if everyone is saying it is completely useless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not only do you not need an accounting degree to become a chartered accountant, but you don't need any degree at all. And a degree isn't necessarily even helpful either. I have a friend who owns and runs an accountancy firm who says very clearly that she prefers to recruit school leavers who will go through the professional exams while training and working than to recruit recent graduates in any subject.

The route to chartered status is much quicker for a school leaver entrant (three or four years) as you miss out the degree period, and you can even gain a degree as part of the ACCA study.
Having a degree does not necessarily help. If you are set on being an accountant and enter a school leaver scheme at 18 or 19 (hell, even 16 if you go down AAT route), you will be qualified well before a graduate counterpart, have more experience, and depending on the individual, be better placed politically for promotions.

You're assuming that the material is too tough for a school leaver to cope with and someone without a degree can't possibly be as intelligent as someone with one. This is the flaw in your argument. Anybody can pass these exams with enough dedication and practice. Having a degree in accounting or media studies is not going to guarantee any sort of success. The fact that big 4 grad schemes don't even specify what degree candidates should have, shows that it is irrelevant and no more than a tick box exercise (in my opinion). Are you telling me that someone with a Geography graduate will be a better accountant than someone who has been training since leaving school?

You shouldn't choose the degree you study based on this, university is a very important time in your life and there is so much more to the experience than your degree. By all means do an accounting degree, but not because you think it will guarantee your partnership at Big 4.
"Competitive salaries" - £21k starting salary is nothing for any company in the top four. The sudden jump of around £40k+ once you qualify just as a reward is it? That is double the salary after 3 years, a very big jump for a pay rise. Many starting salaries at big companies are above £25-30k a year, so why are the big four paying so little unless of course it is the cost of training them?
A lot of people I know doing the course joke about the easier courses. SO SORRY IF THEY ARE ALL WRONG - just listening to conversation they were making.
It doesn't make really make sense why universities offer the degree course then - if everyone is saying it is completely useless.

Hmm pretty sure the big 4 in London don't pay £21k a year..

You could compare the big 'jump' of wage with other non-accounting grads in big companies naturally get promoted to management after 2-3 years because of experience and performance. Being a qualified accountant just gives you more of a defined timeline for the promotions.

I know I was paid exactly the same as the grads I started with, and 3 years on we're on roughly the same money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Sigh, we're just not going to reach an understanding are we...

28k London which is what you're comparing to with 25-30k a year. Just to be clear, a first year must have circa 5k in tuition fees paid for them and most spend circa 3 months in college with a pro rata value of 7k (28/12*3), so by your definition if they are paying for it themselves through salary sacrifice then fresh graduates coming straight out of uni should have a starting salary of £40k (28+5+7)? Is that your position?

I notice you completely avoided the point about not needing a degree, evidently the direct quote hurt you there.

Doing what courses? ACA, ACCA, CIMA? I think you're chatting nonsense mate, or yet again misunderstanding that people doing accountancy degrees are not doing professional accountancy qualifications.

Everyone is not saying it is completely useless. However if your goal is to become an accountant and stay as an accountant, then having a degree in accountancy doesn't really help you as you already surpass it with the professional qualification that you have to do anyway. If you do a A+F degree and go and do something non-accountancy afterwards, then obviously you've learnt useful information.
Original post by Tokyoround
Having a degree does not necessarily help. If you are set on being an accountant and enter a school leaver scheme at 18 or 19 (hell, even 16 if you go down AAT route), you will be qualified well before a graduate counterpart, have more experience, and depending on the individual, be better placed politically for promotions.

You're assuming that the material is too tough for a school leaver to cope with and someone without a degree can't possibly be as intelligent as someone with one. This is the flaw in your argument. Anybody can pass these exams with enough dedication and practice. Having a degree in accounting or media studies is not going to guarantee any sort of success. The fact that big 4 grad schemes don't even specify what degree candidates should have, shows that it is irrelevant and no more than a tick box exercise (in my opinion). Are you telling me that someone with a Geography graduate will be a better accountant than someone who has been training since leaving school?

You shouldn't choose the degree you study based on this, university is a very important time in your life and there is so much more to the experience than your degree. By all means do an accounting degree, but not because you think it will guarantee your partnership at Big 4.

I am just stating that they want a 2:1 because it shows the graduate is competent and is less risky to the firm to pay to train them - that is all. If you ran a company, would you not want to hire the graduate over the school leaver - as it is less risky?
If you ran a company, would you not want to hire the graduate over the school leaver - as it is less risky?

Why don't you read my post 33 above to find the answer to that question?
Original post by Pipsico
Hmm pretty sure the big 4 in London don't pay £21k a year..

You could compare the big 'jump' of wage with other non-accounting grads in big companies naturally get promoted to management after 2-3 years because of experience and performance. Being a qualified accountant just gives you more of a defined timeline for the promotions.

I know I was paid exactly the same as the grads I started with, and 3 years on we're on roughly the same money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, just out of curiosity - what is the proportion of graduates to non graduates you work with? And pretty much every job salary increase when you go into London, my examples were out of London salaries that I know people earn.
Original post by Good bloke
Why don't you read my post 33 above to find the answer to that question?

That does not answer my question. All you did was state your friend prefers to hire school leavers and did not state why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending