The Student Room Group

Is a Bsc Accounting degree worth doing

Scroll to see replies

And one more thing, do you think asset management is harder to break into (internships, graduate schemes) than accounting at big 4 firms. ?
Original post by aliman65
To your surprise I kind of agree with you on some of that. But I still think university is the best way to go. Especially with all the help your university will give on getting you a job - with the work placements and interview techniques and so on.
If you fail an exam at university you can just retake. Fail one on your course at an accounting firm and you could get kicked out the firm or moved back a year.
But yes, when I go into school or college all we hear all day is how great university is. If you don't get into a top university you are looked down upon - the student room has numerous people that do this, who think oxbridge is everything. You look at youth unemployment statistics of graduates and non-graduates and it kind of makes up your mind for you really. And at 18 years old, many people simply are not mature enough to work 40 hours a week and do exams as well. They still want a life and university allows the transition.
It looks good on paper to go through the school leaver route - but what happens if you fail your exam in the 3rd year and you don't have a degree to fall back on? Or when you join the school leaver programme and realise you don't enjoy accounting? Accounting and finance at university covers a lot more than just accounting and will allow you to go into marketing, banking, insurance, statistical work, to name a few so you are not dedicating your life to audit or tax. And it is much easier to swap degree courses after a week than it is to drop out of a school leavers programme.
I was wrong on a few of my points earlier - someone obviously lied to me when they said you need a degree to train as a chartered accountant. So thank you for being patient with me but at least have the decency to understand I am just defending that accounting and finance is not a waste of time or money.

Even though this is a 6 year old comment, I appreciate your comment! It makes sense too, I needed that little extra motivation to get an A&F degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending