The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds 2014 Applicants (2015 start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizgeog96
Haha well you're the only person I have found even doing geog! We're obviously an elusive type!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know 2 people going into second year so I have an upper advantage. So I will probably know some information before I go. Going to bestival between the 9th - 14th/15th of September and my friend going into second year is going to be there so I will probably have a grave chat about the course, Leeds in general, the department.

Also I feel that iit s kinda weird that you haven't found anyone else since there are over 600 students doing geography here as it is one of the largest departments in the UK.

How did your exams go?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by kingdoo
I know 2 people going into second year so I have an upper advantage. So I will probably know some information before I go. Going to bestival between the 9th - 14th/15th of September and my friend going into second year is going to be there so I will probably have a grave chat about the course, Leeds in general, the department.

Also I feel that iit s kinda weird that you haven't found anyone else since there are over 600 students doing geography here as it is one of the largest departments in the UK.

How did your exams go?

Ahh right will be useful to get some info! And yeah I dont know why I havent come across anyone yet - maybe just not looking hard enough!

They went well thanks - wasnt too sure before results but all turned out okay, you?
Ahh right will be useful to get some info! And yeah I dont know why I havent come across anyone yet - maybe just not looking hard enough!

They went well thanks - wasnt too sure before results but all turned out okay, you?

Yeah they told me that there first year was really easy compared to a levels.

Ones also a geography ambassador so she knows all the events that are going on and stuff.

Mine went so well was predicted ABB, got A*A*B so really happy and this is why I am now going to Leeds.:smile:
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah they told me that there first year was really easy compared to a levels.

Ones also a geography ambassador so she knows all the events that are going on and stuff.

Mine went so well was predicted ABB, got A*A*B so really happy and this is why I am now going to Leeds.:smile:

Well here's to an easy year then! Ooh thats useful, I'm planning on joining GeogSoc to get in the loop at bit more haha!

Well done thats so good!! I got ABB which I was very happy with!
Well here's to an easy year then! Ooh thats useful, I'm planning on joining GeogSoc to get in the loop at bit more haha!

Well done thats so good!! I got ABB which I was very happy with!

Ah well done too. If you don't mind asking what was your offer? As I didn't even consider applying to Leeds as they required AAA for my course but I believe that someone who was in my year got offered ABB and she got in with ABC grades (don't know her well but saw her on results night).

Yeah I am going to join the geogsoc and probably psychology/criminology. I'm considering being a teacher so who knows but at least by joining these societies you get the opportunity to see so many unique and amazing people.

I am now so looking forward to it, will be completely different to living in Cambridge haha.
Original post by kingdoo
Ah well done too. If you don't mind asking what was your offer? As I didn't even consider applying to Leeds as they required AAA for my course but I believe that someone who was in my year got offered ABB and she got in with ABC grades (don't know her well but saw her on results night).

Yeah I am going to join the geogsoc and probably psychology/criminology. I'm considering being a teacher so who knows but at least by joining these societies you get the opportunity to see so many unique and amazing people.

I am now so looking forward to it, will be completely different to living in Cambridge haha.

Offer was ABB but the standard one for BSc was AAB (apparently human offers are always higher because they're less science based)

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm not sure which other societies I want to get involved with at the moment but will definitely be looking at others.

Im so excited but also nervous! I'm from near London so will be a complete change of scenery for me aswell.
Offer was ABB but the standard one for BSc was AAB (apparently human offers are always higher because they're less science based)

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm not sure which other societies I want to get involved with at the moment but will definitely be looking at others.

Im so excited but also nervous! I'm from near London so will be a complete change of scenery for me aswell.

OK I guess that makes sense. They must have been very lenient this year as she is doing the BA course, so she technically dropped 3 grades from a typical offer.

Not trying to come off as a bit pretentious but I was always told that I was not good enough and then to see a lot of my friends dropping grades but still going to really good unis such as Sheffield, Exeter, Nottingham and even UCL has annoyed me slightly. If I had known they were lenient anyway then I should have just gone with the benefit of the doubt, hoping for an offer and therefore wouldn't have had to have gone through adjustment.

But anyway yeah I visited at the weekend the campus is lovely I have to say and I am pretty surprised by it in all honesty. I spent like half my time looking up at all all the wonderful buildings which were all mixed styles and ages.

I have applied to Oxley accommodation as I am not guaranteed accommodation it seemed pretty nice I have to say even if it is a bit far out.

At least you come from London so are used to big cities. Cambridge is too small to be classed as a city lol.
Original post by kingdoo
OK I guess that makes sense. They must have been very lenient this year as she is doing the BA course, so she technically dropped 3 grades from a typical offer.

Not trying to come off as a bit pretentious but I was always told that I was not good enough and then to see a lot of my friends dropping grades but still going to really good unis such as Sheffield, Exeter, Nottingham and even UCL has annoyed me slightly. If I had known they were lenient anyway then I should have just gone with the benefit of the doubt, hoping for an offer and therefore wouldn't have had to have gone through adjustment.

But anyway yeah I visited at the weekend the campus is lovely I have to say and I am pretty surprised by it in all honesty. I spent like half my time looking up at all all the wonderful buildings which were all mixed styles and ages.

I have applied to Oxley accommodation as I am not guaranteed accommodation it seemed pretty nice I have to say even if it is a bit far out.

At least you come from London so are used to big cities. Cambridge is too small to be classed as a city lol.

Yeah maybe there were less applicants so they are being more lenient - and I completely understand you, the same thing happened to people I know!

Yes I looked there and it did look very nice, I applied to Lyddon though and have got in which I'm pleased about!

Well I'm about and an hour out of London itself so Leeds is still big compared to where im from, but looking forwards to moving to a different part of the country!
Yeah maybe there were less applicants so they are being more lenient - and I completely understand you, the same thing happened to people I know!

Yes I looked there and it did look very nice, I applied to Lyddon though and have got in which I'm pleased about!

Well I'm about and an hour out of London itself so Leeds is still big compared to where im from, but looking forwards to moving to a different part of the country!

Yeah I think it was the release of the cap.

I cannot afford lyddon lol although maybe it works out in the long term as it is catered. I unfortunately applied through adjustment (which they keep calling clearing which annoys me a bit haha) so am not guaranteed accommodation especially with the most popular choices. Fortunately from the Oxley residence forum not many people applied to it as their first choice so hopefully I will be able to go. Would have been nice to have applied to accommodation on campus though.

I literally have no life experience because I have lived in Cambridge for most of my life. Leeds is meant to be a great city for students so I hope it should be amazing.:smile:
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah I think it was the release of the cap.

I cannot afford lyddon lol although maybe it works out in the long term as it is catered. I unfortunately applied through adjustment (which they keep calling clearing which annoys me a bit haha) so am not guaranteed accommodation especially with the most popular choices. Fortunately from the Oxley residence forum not many people applied to it as their first choice so hopefully I will be able to go. Would have been nice to have applied to accommodation on campus though.

I literally have no life experience because I have lived in Cambridge for most of my life. Leeds is meant to be a great city for students so I hope it should be amazing.:smile:

Haha yes hopefully being catered it works out about the same if not cheaper. Well hopefully you get it! Besides its still not too far out from campus so wouldnt be too bad :smile:

Me neither I have always lived in the same place so am ready to switch it up a bit! Yes I heard there's always things to do and so it should be a fun experience!
Haha yes hopefully being catered it works out about the same if not cheaper. Well hopefully you get it! Besides its still not too far out from campus so wouldnt be too bad :smile:

Me neither I have always lived in the same place so am ready to switch it up a bit! Yes I heard there's always things to do and so it should be a fun experience!

Haha I got offered a place on Friday at like 5:30pm had not even looked at the accommodation and applied by about 7pm. So it was literally me looking at the prices, quick look at the key facts, choice haha. I think I made the right decision though. I don't think I could handle partying/being loud 24/7, the degree must come first.

Yeah I was originally going to Leicester which had about 160 societies and then found out that Leeds has over 300. :s-smilie:

Either way freshers week is supposed to be pretty much the best in the UK outside London.
Original post by kingdoo
Haha I got offered a place on Friday at like 5:30pm had not even looked at the accommodation and applied by about 7pm. So it was literally me looking at the prices, quick look at the key facts, choice haha. I think I made the right decision though. I don't think I could handle partying/being loud 24/7, the degree must come first.

Yeah I was originally going to Leicester which had about 160 societies and then found out that Leeds has over 300. :s-smilie:

Either way freshers week is supposed to be pretty much the best in the UK outside London.

Oh right haha, well at least you're happy with it! Lyddon is quite small -150 rooms - so hopefully wont be too loud all the tine either.

I have looked through all of them and there are so many, some I wouldnt have even thought would exist!

Yes I think it will be great! Have you decided any events to go to yet?
Oh right haha, well at least you're happy with it! Lyddon is quite small -150 rooms - so hopefully wont be too loud all the tine either.

I have looked through all of them and there are so many, some I wouldnt have even thought would exist!

Yes I think it will be great! Have you decided any events to go to yet?

Yeah there were quite a few.

I haven't, joined a few fresher pages on FB and I know there is a Halloween party thing that some of my friends that aren't going to Leeds may come up for so there is that one at the end of October.

I will probably decide when I get there you will want to try and do everything with your flat mates I would have thought.
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah there were quite a few.

I haven't, joined a few fresher pages on FB and I know there is a Halloween party thing that some of my friends that aren't going to Leeds may come up for so there is that one at the end of October.

I will probably decide when I get there you will want to try and do everything with your flat mates I would have thought.

Ah right, I have found a few nights/events that I want to go to but am going to see who else in my halls are going - struggling to find people in my building at the moment though!
Original post by francescamk
I got my accommodation offer through today! Anyone allocated CLV? I'm on floor 14, flat 66 :smile:

Hey! I've also been allocated CLV :smile:
Myself and 3 others are looking for our 5th flatmate in Central Village Tower, flat 146 :smile:
Original post by Laurencl
Hey! I've also been allocated CLV :smile:

Hey! What floor/flat? :smile:
Hey! What floor/flat? :smile:

1361 :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Laurencl
1361 :smile:

I'm the floor above you, 1466 :smile:
I'm the floor above you, 1466 :smile: