The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds 2014 Applicants (2015 start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurencl
Oh cool! What are you studying?

Graphic and communication design, you?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Does anyone know where the shared accommodation is?

I just got an email saying that due to the number of applications this year you may have to go into shared room accommodation temporarily?

But I thought there was no shared room accommodation? Unless the smaller residences has got shared rooms?

I really don't want a shared room.:frown:
Original post by kingdoo
Does anyone know where the shared accommodation is?

I just got an email saying that due to the number of applications this year you may have to go into shared room accommodation temporarily?

But I thought there was no shared room accommodation? Unless the smaller residences has got shared rooms?

I really don't want a shared room.:frown:

I believe this is more of a temporary living space to hold up in until room becomes available; rooms often open up after term begins.
Original post by Benguin
I believe this is more of a temporary living space to hold up in until room becomes available; rooms often open up after term begins.

But still the university shouldn't take more people than they have rooms available for.:frown:

And just because it's temporary it is not OK they should have mentioned this before I applied that there are very limited spaces left for accommodation and that you you will struggle to get a room in halls.

Although the email was very generic and hopefully I will be allocated a space since I chose the least popular accommodation of Oxley, Lupton, North Hill Court and Montague Burton.:frown:
yes me too!!!
Original post by kingdoo
But still the university shouldn't take more people than they have rooms available for.:frown:

And just because it's temporary it is not OK they should have mentioned this before I applied that there are very limited spaces left for accommodation and that you you will struggle to get a room in halls.

Although the email was very generic and hopefully I will be allocated a space since I chose the least popular accommodation of Oxley, Lupton, North Hill Court and Montague Burton.:frown:

It's probably not too late to look into alternative accommodation. Myself, I've been receiving a ton of emails from UCAS advertising such things at comparable prices to Leeds accommodation. Beware though, many of them don't include utility bills.
Original post by Benguin
It's probably not too late to look into alternative accommodation. Myself, I've been receiving a ton of emails from UCAS advertising such things at comparable prices to Leeds accommodation. Beware though, many of them don't include utility bills.

I would rather wait to see what they offer me. Plus it should only be temporary, plus it was a very generic email so I am hoping it will just be for those students who applied after clearing who asked to get accommodation in the most popular accommodation when obviously there are going to be very limited spaces.

Plus I cannot see Oxley or Montague Burton being full up unless people are forced to accept it because there is nothing available, although that seems to be the case for Oxley.
Original post by kingdoo

Hi, sorry to intervene, but I'm a current student at Leeds and I completely agree with you. Their were loads of departments which were advertising clearing spaces this summer. The uni has a responsibility to ensure that they have enough accommodation for the intake. You should complain, perhaps try the union.
Original post by Steeplechasing
Hi, sorry to intervene, but I'm a current student at Leeds and I completely agree with you. Their were loads of departments which were advertising clearing spaces this summer. The uni has a responsibility to ensure that they have enough accommodation for the intake. You should complain, perhaps try the union.

Yeah. I mean if they don't have accommodation guarantee in halls that would be fine as long as they don't leave everyone in clearing stranded and make sure that they book out private halls which are affordable and near the university.

I mean they are still advertising clearing spots so where are all those students going to stay if they suddenly phone and get a spot at the university of Leeds. If you choose to take people on then you should make sure that they will receive some sort of accommodation, I don't actually care whether it is in the university halls but if it isn't it should be a decent alternative rather than temporary accommodation in a city that you don't know that well and for the first time of independence.

I mean I am quite lucky because the email did state that we will get something but having shared rooms is definitely not ideal.

I don't think I can complain anyway. i probably will when I start even if I do manage to get accommodation I find out on the 5th of Sep because they should not intake people that they don't have the space for it is stupid. However, I don't think I will get any joy because they state it online anyway so i don't think I'll have that much of a case.:frown:
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah. I mean if they don't have accommodation guarantee in halls that would be fine as long as they don't leave everyone in clearing stranded and make sure that they book out private halls which are affordable and near the university.

I mean they are still advertising clearing spots so where are all those students going to stay if they suddenly phone and get a spot at the university of Leeds. If you choose to take people on then you should make sure that they will receive some sort of accommodation, I don't actually care whether it is in the university halls but if it isn't it should be a decent alternative rather than temporary accommodation in a city that you don't know that well and for the first time of independence.

I mean I am quite lucky because the email did state that we will get something but having shared rooms is definitely not ideal.

I don't think I can complain anyway. i probably will when I start even if I do manage to get accommodation I find out on the 5th of Sep because they should not intake people that they don't have the space for it is stupid. However, I don't think I will get any joy because they state it online anyway so i don't think I'll have that much of a case.:frown:

Seriously don't panic! I got in on clearing last year and was stressing about halls, but I got into Lupton-even tho I didn't find out till the 7th. September. They send everyone that email but only very few are in shared rooms. Also that is temporary-after a week or so people drop out so space in halls becomes available. The uni also has links with various housing companies so if they can't get you halls they will help you out with that too. You just gotta be patient.
Side note-Lupton is in no way a bad halls, the rooms may be small and it's abit far out but the social side is amazing and also you save a lot of money!!!!
Original post by Caraaaa95
Seriously don't panic! I got in on clearing last year and was stressing about halls, but I got into Lupton-even tho I didn't find out till the 7th. September. They send everyone that email but only very few are in shared rooms. Also that is temporary-after a week or so people drop out so space in halls becomes available. The uni also has links with various housing companies so if they can't get you halls they will help you out with that too. You just gotta be patient.
Side note-Lupton is in no way a bad halls, the rooms may be small and it's abit far out but the social side is amazing and also you save a lot of money!!!!

I don't care where I am, Lupton was my second choice as I don't actually want to be on campus. But I just don't want shared accommodation and I feel that it is justifiable to be annoyed that I may be within shared accommodation.

Plus It is quite late to find out who your flat mates will be and what events you all may want to go to during freshers. Which means I am not booking any events probably until I go on the 19th.

I however, do understand that this and it is fair enough with all the applications they recieve.
Hi all! I have applied for MSC in International marketing management in leeds uni. ..Is there anyone who is staying in sky plaza accommodation??
Hi I'm gonna study MA Advertising & Marketing as well. So I guess see you around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest