The Student Room Group

Should women get paid MENSTRUAL LEAVE every month?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jemner01
How is it supposed to boost productivity if you're paying a worker when they're not working? A worker who gets very little done because of illness is still getting more work done than a worker who's getting paid leave...

What's the other option?
LolOol I choked on my drink.

Stupid feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
LolOol I choked on my drink.

Stupid feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know, without feminism you wouldn't be able to even have a job. You'd be expected to find a husband, have children and stay at home. No more no less. Nor would you be able to vote. Don't blame feminism for a proposal that sounds a bit ridiculous, well ridiculous if they apply it to all women.
Original post by OU Student
What's the other option?

If a company is forced to give women more leave than men only because of sex (i.e. menstruation pain), then it's in the company's best interest to hire only men. The problem isn't nearly as bad for pat/maternity leave because a) both sexes can have the time off for newly born children and b) a company can hire another worker on the basis of a few months of pat/maternity leave. It's much more difficult to temporarily replace workers when a given number of female workers consistently take 1-3 days off during their time of the month.

Demanding more time off (paid time off, even) is shooting yourself in the foot and reducing your employability, because companies will know that female workers would be (if menstrual lave is made into a law) less efficient and more of a liability. I'm not going to deny that menstruation is uncomfortable, painful or even crippling butI don't think paid leave is the way to deal with it in a work environment because it's a detriment to women's employability and not a benefit to their health.
(edited 9 years ago)
If a company is forced to give women more leave than men only because of sex (i.e. menstruation pain), then it's in the company's best interest to hire only men. The problem isn't nearly as bad for pat/maternity leave because a) both sexes can have the time off for newly born children and b) a company can hire another worker on the basis of a few months of pat/maternity leave. It's much more difficult to temporarily replace workers when a given number of female workers consistently take 1-3 days off during their time of the month.

Demanding more time off (paid time off, even) is shooting yourself in the foot and reducing your employability, because companies will know that female workers would be (if menstrual lave is made into a law) less efficient and more of a liability. I'm not going to deny that menstruation is uncomfortable, painful or even crippling butI don't think paid leave is the way to deal with it in a work environment because it's a detriment to women's employability and not a benefit to their health.

If you only employ men, you're opening yourself up to a sex discrimination case. Good luck in trying to justify that one.
Reply 46
If you only employ men, you're opening yourself up to a sex discrimination case. Good luck in trying to justify that one.

Difficult to prove, and it's already a fact that many small businesses are anxious about employing females.. especially those in their 20s who are potentially likely to have kids soon.

Not saying its correct.. but it is whats currently happening and implementing something like this would only make it worse.
Reply 47
This will incentivise businesses to hire fewer women because they will work less.
Women won't get the leave because they're women. They'd only get the leave if they needed it. Ditto for those planning to have kids, which not every woman in their 20s wants or indeed, can have.
I love how most of the people who have responded are males. Because of course, you all know what periods are like, don't you. :rolleyes:

Oh, and just FYI, my last period left me in so much pain that I was unable to do virtually anything. Made worse by having a serious physical condition.

It wasn't that unusual as a teenager for me to either be unable to walk or vomit.

I swear you were the first person to respond? Also, not being paid for not working isn't being penalized, since you didn't earn the money. Working and receiving less money would be someone being penalized.

You can easily justify it by explaining how being forced to give women up to 3 days extra paid leave a month is much more inefficient for organisations, businesses and ultimately the economy (businesses will leave and set up in areas without this law, leading to reduced prosperity, increased unemployment, etc) than hiring only men (who would not get the same paid leave) and ultimately results in less profit, lower employee motivation, and actually opens up the male/female divide in the workplace. Legally it's sketchy ground, but thankfully the short-sighted proposition of a paid menstrual leave law isn't actually being put forward.
You can easily justify it by explaining how being forced to give women up to 3 days extra paid leave a month is much more inefficient for organisations, businesses and ultimately the economy (businesses will leave and set up in areas without this law, leading to reduced prosperity, increased unemployment, etc) than hiring only men (who would not get the same paid leave) and ultimately results in less profit, lower employee motivation, and actually opens up the male/female divide in the workplace. Legally it's sketchy ground, but thankfully the short-sighted proposition of a paid menstrual leave law isn't actually being put forward.

But not every woman would need to take that leave every single month. Hence why it can't be justified.
But not every woman would need to take that leave every single month. Hence why it can't be justified.

So if not every woman has to take it, why force employers to give women 1-3 days off each month for it? Who's going to say whether or not the woman needs it or is just taking the most paid days off as she can, because she can? It's easy to abuse that kind of system. A doctor's not explaining monthly pains should be used to excuse days off during the month, and the employer should then have the choice of whether or not to pay you during those days off.
Reply 53
For the people in this thread saying things such as 'stupid feminism' and 'only feminists would support this' etc, feminists want gender equality for men and women. They don't want more rights than men. It pisses me off how many people will proudly say they 'don't support feminism'. Do you even realise how bigoted you sound?
Reply 54
Oh brilliant. So you're happy with penalising me for something that every single month which is out of my control?:rolleyes: Would you be saying the same if you were in my situation? I doubt it?

Amen!

I think they should, with obvious regulating checks taking place, due to the extreme amount I lose and the fact I end up fainting with mine I am on some strong medication. Like depression if affects people differently (conditions such as endemitriosis or poly cystic ovaries are another, I actually suffer from both) If you literally collapse from the pain and lose enough blood that doctors originally think you've been stabbed (an unfortunate experience which was so humiliating it's stuck in my mind... that was over ten years ago now. I am 21. Everyone is different so please can people try and be more understanding of others. Not all of us are so luck to have relatively pain free lives as the moderator said :smile:
Original post by Samwin
Amen!

I think they should, with obvious regulating checks taking place, due to the extreme amount I lose and the fact I end up fainting with mine I am on some strong medication. Like depression if affects people differently (conditions such as endemitriosis or poly cystic ovaries are another, I actually suffer from both) If you literally collapse from the pain and lose enough blood that doctors originally think you've been stabbed (an unfortunate experience which was so humiliating it's stuck in my mind... that was over ten years ago now. I am 21. Everyone is different so please can people try and be more understanding of others. Not all of us are so luck to have relatively pain free lives as the moderator said :smile:

But is there a way of checking? There are some women like me, who don't have heavy periods, don't actually have anything wrong with them (PCOS, etc) but still suffer a lot each month.
Reply 56
But is there a way of checking? There are some women like me, who don't have heavy periods, don't actually have anything wrong with them (PCOS, etc) but still suffer a lot each month.

True point, true point :smile: I guess its one of those good in principle things... but never really works out I guess (when I worked at the job center, medical records for sick notes were always getting lost... etc due to filing nightmares and also the high volume of cases), i think in some cases there should be some leeway regards extreme cases regards employers, (i.e. if employee has stated they have a condition and have documented proof from g.p they should allow said employee a day at least in order to recover appropriately, as I speak from experience when you are badly affected by it, even the best worker in the world can make mistakes... .. (i.e. the ones where you faint... or whatever) it would never happen though.... seriously doubt it.... :/ just my ramblings on the subject ^_^
Original post by IronMan97
You know, without feminism you wouldn't be able to even have a job. You'd be expected to find a husband, have children and stay at home. No more no less. Nor would you be able to vote. Don't blame feminism for a proposal that sounds a bit ridiculous, well ridiculous if they apply it to all women.

This is a bit of a myth. Plenty of proletariat women worked in factories etc. They had no choice. What you described applied more to middle-class women rather than the working class of which men and women alike had sod all chance of braking up into the higher classes really.

I'm not dissing feminism, it was very important and if anything I'm defending feminism from the people on this site that think women used to just live a easy job free life off the back of their working husband. Plenty of women worked in horrendous conditions.

On topic. Isn't the solution to this to just to keep it how it is and treat extreme period pain like an illness? If it is really bad get a doctors note etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending