The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by runforseven
As a heads up, I have just finished my part of the UCAS, not realizing that my referees had to submit their bit before I could 'apply'. I booked my skills test weeks ago for tomorrow, and it looks like I'll lose my free attempts now because accordingly they need to see the full printed form with the bits from referees included.

I rang the skills test helpline to double check, and they said I wouldn't be allowed to enter the test. :dontknow:

I have no idea what bits from the referees to which they are referring. You never get to see any of the information they have provided.
Hi everyone. I have applied for Modern Languages Courses in St Marys, UCL and Sheffield.
I have just been called to interview for St Marys. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the interview process for Languages Courses? I'm a bit nervous about it as it has been two years since I used my languages.
Original post by Pierson
I have no idea what bits from the referees to which they are referring. You never get to see any of the information they have provided.

That's what I thought, but the person on the phone was pretty insistent. If you don't mind me asking, has anyone you know done it before their references? I'm still tempted to show up and try tomorrow.
That's what I thought, but the person on the phone was pretty insistent. If you don't mind me asking, has anyone you know done it before their references? I'm still tempted to show up and try tomorrow.

I don't know anyone who has, no. When I took the tests last year, my evidence was a plain email from Teach First inviting me to an interview. The lady at the test centre skimmed read it and ticked off a box on her system. It didn't have a Teach First logo in the email or anything that proved its authenticity, but it was accepted.

I would say there is a chance tomorrow that the person at the test centre will look at your complete form and accept it. Take any emails you have from UCAS as well. As the Professional Skills Tests website says, there isn't a complete list of evidence that they can and cannot accept; they have to use their professional judgement based on what you present to them. I'm struggling to understand how they could distinguish between a completed form before the referees have completed their references and after they have done so. Since you don't get to see any of the information they have provided, they would surely look the same. Unfortunately, I didn't save versions of mine before and after so I can't say for certain.

Personally, I would go tomorrow and see what they say. If they don't accept it, just explain that the website didn't mention that the references need to have been completed.
Original post by SMelvin12
Hi everyone. I have applied for Modern Languages Courses in St Marys, UCL and Sheffield.
I have just been called to interview for St Marys. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the interview process for Languages Courses? I'm a bit nervous about it as it has been two years since I used my languages.

I'm applying for a languages PGCE at the University of Sheffield :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hkelly22
Yes really struggling with that, I can't find my modules or the credits for them and the percentage part I just don't get

UCAS got back to me and suggested that I email my university to get them.
Got an email today from the university of york. Offer for interview for secondary biology next wednesday- only submitted my app yesterday so chuffed to bits! Slightly stressed though as i have a 4000 word lab report and exam friday 4th and interview is 2 days before.
Ok who has already submitted their application? I'm currently trying to redraft my personal statement, but stressing over the fact that people already have sent it in and places may be filling up. I'm also over the character limit so need to cut it down. I'm applying for secondary geography
Also got an email from UCAS and track is displaying Durham are wanting to interview me, but unfortunately on the same date as york (next wednesday). I haven't received an email from Durham though so how can I go about sorting this out?
Original post by girlygiggle
Ok who has already submitted their application? I'm currently trying to redraft my personal statement, but stressing over the fact that people already have sent it in and places may be filling up. I'm also over the character limit so need to cut it down. I'm applying for secondary geography

Try not to stress too much. I know people who applied way after January last year and are now mid way through their PGCEs at top unis :smile: Where are you thinking of applying?
If it makes you feel better in any way, I was in the same situation. I had exactly 4000 characters but was 10 lines over the limit so had to redraft the entire thing. Don't give up- once it's gone it'll be a weight off your shoulders!
Original post by Katy4341
Try not to stress too much. I know people who applied way after January last year and are now mid way through their PGCEs at top unis :smile: Where are you thinking of applying?
If it makes you feel better in any way, I was in the same situation. I had exactly 4000 characters but was 10 lines over the limit so had to redraft the entire thing. Don't give up- once it's gone it'll be a weight off your shoulders!

Oh I forgot about the line limit too haha!
But thanks :smile:
and Cambridge, Oxford and Sussex
Original post by girlygiggle
Oh I forgot about the line limit too haha!
But thanks :smile:
and Cambridge, Oxford and Sussex

Good luck! Ive got York, Durham and Cambridge myself :smile:
Is anyone else stuck on the 'check form' point? I don't have the box to tick it and I know it's because I ' DO NOT MEET THE SCIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS TRAINING PROGRAMME' despite the fact that I have listed an equivalent the institution accepts.
Submitted my application today! Let the stress every time I get an email begin! :biggrin:

Has anyone heard back from Northumbria, Newcastle or Durham yet?
I've got an interview at UCL for Primary! Anyone else applied there?
Submitted my application today! Let the stress every time I get an email begin! :biggrin:

Has anyone heard back from Northumbria, Newcastle or Durham yet?

Heard back from Durham on tuesday for secondary biology. Gave me an interview date for the 2nd Nov but had to decline as I already had an interview scheduled. They're emailing me today with a new date :smile: Good luck!
Heard back from Durham on tuesday for secondary biology. Gave me an interview date for the 2nd Nov but had to decline as I already had an interview scheduled. They're emailing me today with a new date :smile: Good luck!

That's really quick! :K: If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?
Good luck to you too! I hope the interview goes well :smile:
That's really quick! :K: If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?
Good luck to you too! I hope the interview goes well :smile:

Yeah no probs. I submitted my app monday evening and by wednesday had 2 of 3 interview offers. I wwsnt expecting it myself to be honest! Durham have just rescheduled to the 9th so means ive got an interview a week which is a bit better :smile: thank you :smile:
What subject have you applied for? And any knowledge on the interview process at durham? Havent really found anything on past threads
I'm starting to worry now as my references haven't been done yet and it's been about a week now! One hasn't even looked at it yet, even though I've emailed him myself multiple times!
Yeah no probs. I submitted my app monday evening and by wednesday had 2 of 3 interview offers. I wwsnt expecting it myself to be honest! Durham have just rescheduled to the 9th so means ive got an interview a week which is a bit better :smile: thank you :smile:
What subject have you applied for? And any knowledge on the interview process at durham? Havent really found anything on past threads

I'm applying for Primary, so completely different! :colondollar: I still can't get over how quick they are replying! I'd set myself up for the horrors of waiting for three months like undergrad!

From what I've heard the Durham interview is quite laidback. At least that's what I'm hoping anyway! Have they given you any information about what you'll have to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending