The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades?

Hi, I'm currently on the final year of my GCSEs and I'm intent on becoming a Veterinary Surgeon post college via Nottingham University. Is it too early for me to start looking for Work Experience? I am predicted an A in all three Sciences (I took triple) an A* in English and an A in Maths, which is currently my main concern. I have reviewed the Nottingham University website, however- would Biology, Chemistry and, say, English at A level be appropriate to get accepted onto the course? How difficult is it to get into this University as a whole?
Original post by KiwiCanary
Hi, I'm currently on the final year of my GCSEs and I'm intent on becoming a Veterinary Surgeon post college via Nottingham University. Is it too early for me to start looking for Work Experience? I am predicted an A in all three Sciences (I took triple) an A* in English and an A in Maths, which is currently my main concern. I have reviewed the Nottingham University website, however- would Biology, Chemistry and, say, English at A level be appropriate to get accepted onto the course? How difficult is it to get into this University as a whole?

1) The earlier the better.

2) That would be fine. I'm pretty sure biology and chemistry are the main subjects you need and the third can be whatever you want.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Another quick question; on the Nottingham University website, it states that Work Experience is required at a minimum of six weeks. Is this for a variety of different placements, or would one placement at one place suffice? I intend on getting as much work experience as possible as I'm quite apprehensive about the reliability of my grades, but regardless, it would be good to know. I also have two horses of my own, and have helped to raise two foals from birth to sale, would this be appropriate for inclusion?

1) yes you may have your fave uni but I wouldn't say close your options only to Nottingham, veterinary is extremely competitive and many people have to apply 2-3 times to get in so its not always advisable to have your heart set on just 1 uni.

2) Never too early to start work ex

3) Might be worth emailing the admin office about the grades
Thanks for the reply! Another quick question; on the Nottingham University website, it states that Work Experience is required at a minimum of six weeks. Is this for a variety of different placements, or would one placement at one place suffice? I intend on getting as much work experience as possible as I'm quite apprehensive about the reliability of my grades, but regardless, it would be good to know. I also have two horses of my own, and have helped to raise two foals from birth to sale, would this be appropriate for inclusion?

Its always advisable to have as much varied, I'd say as a minimum go by 1 week dairy, 1 week lambing, 1 week horses, 1 week cats/dogs, 1 week large animal vets, 1 week small animal vets and then build it up from there. Sadly pets don't count as work ex, it has to be like a riding school or livery yard etc but not your own pets. Try to do as much work ex as possible though cause you're competing against people who've taken gap years but just try to keep it as varied as possible.

As a rule universities don't count work experience as your own/family's animals so you would still need a stable placement. And just keep in mind some have a rule of it being within 18 months etc of application. So for some universities starting now wouldn't be counted. Though it can do no harm
Reply 6
Another question; I've taken triple science, so I'll be receiving three different Science grades at GCSE. How will the final one be determined? Would it be a combo of all, or? Would a BAA score be acceptable? It would be Core science, Additional and Further additional rather than Biology, Chemistry and Physics, which is the root of my confusion.
Hey, come join the thread for us in the final year of GCSEs if you like :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67622406#post67622406
It is never too early to start looking for WEX. I've already got some done and some booked in for next summer - it takes a while to get into contact with paces too so the earlier the better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending