Leicester
Visit website
Because it is
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by BashCrash
So i received an Unconditional offer from DMU and when i told my sister she said its a bad uni, a friend said it was a party uni another said i wouldn't even apply there
It is ranked 54th atm and people are saying i'd be better off applying for lower ranked uni's lower than DMU
i'm going to ignore and accept the unconditional but can someone tell me why it's so bad?

I wouldn't listen to what other people think, I don't know much about this university apart from I have a friend who goes there and loves it. 😊 You are the one that is going to the university at the end of the day!

If you are happy that it is the right university for you then you will probably be happier studying there than somewhere a few places higher on the league tables where you don't feel comfortable being. League hables aren't everything, my favourite university so far is ranked 80 something overall but is 16th for my course and I liked it much more than the university that was ranked 2nd for my course 😊

And remember you don't have to rush to make a decision right now, wait to hear back from your other offers and don't be swayed by the fact that they are offering you an unconditional offer. On the other hand if you know that is the right uni for you and you can't imagine being anywhere else then go for it!

Congrats on the offer and good luck with deciding what you want to do! 😊
It's not that great if you compare it to many other UK uni's. if you want to go there, then do so. If you think you are capable of going to a better institution, don't rush into accepting their offer. Where else have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:dontknow:

OP you did say 'assume'. Not all do. I suppose it's in comparison to other UK universities.

Do what you want really. If you've already decided to accept the offer, then what difference will it make what others think? Or are you planning on changing your mind in accordance to the replies you get?

Best advice I can give is don't rush into things and once you've made up your mind on what you want to do, don't let others pit you off.
So i received an Unconditional offer from DMU and when i told my sister she said its a bad uni, a friend said it was a party uni another said i wouldn't even apply there
It is ranked 54th atm and people are saying i'd be better off applying for lower ranked uni's lower than DMU
i'm going to ignore and accept the unconditional but can someone tell me why it's so bad?

Hi there OP :smile: I'm currently a student at DMU.
Some people would say it's not that good because of it's league table ranking.
Maybe it ranks lower for certain courses than others. Some might say that because it isn't as research focused as other universities that it isn't as good.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a party uni but there are a lot of people that go out to socials and club nights. There are tons of non-drinking societies and stuff though and something for everyone to get involved in :smile:
Maybe because DMU is quite a modern university compared to others? It has some history but it's always moving forward and trying to improve. It's a fairly young university compared to many others after all.
It could be because of Leicester itself has had a bad reputation for being quite "chavvy" in the past. That's not really a thing here anymore though. It's mostly a student based city that surrounds the 2 universities..
Currently the campus is being overhauled and updated which is pretty exciting as the SU areas are getting overhauled and improved for next year.
Personally, I love it here at DMU, the facilities are great, it's in the heart of Leicester and everyone around you is supportive.
I'd definitely recommend visiting the campuses of the unis that you're interested in (if you haven't already) and getting a feel for the vibes because your gut instinct is usually right about a place :smile:
All in all, reputations are easy to create and very difficult to change and get rid of. I don't know where it came from but I hope it changes when more people visit and see how nice it is here :smile:
Reply 6
I recieved offers from all 5 of my choices and DMU being one of them, it's ranking doesn't particularly bother me because it's all down to your effort and dedication to university no matter where it's ranked. And also I believe going to university is an achievement in itself, without feeling the need to brag about going to a better uni. I did get offers from higher ranked unis but chose DMU from attending their open day, I had a good vibe from the place :smile:
It's not a bad uni. It's modern, got good facilities, it's growing and climbing the league tables and it's in a nice city with plenty of things to do. A lot of universities get unwarranted stick so don't worry about it. It's a good uni. I study here and it's swell :smile:
Hey, I think it's just people's opinion. I am currently at DMU, studying architecture and I would not change where I am. At every uni there are people who party and drink, the choice is yours and depending on what you chose is all that you get out of it. All the friends I have made do not party or drink only a few friends on my course do. The buildings have also been improved amazingly!!! Our vijay Patel building for arts and humanities is amazing!!!!! I'm there whenever I'm not in lectures. Don't let others out you down. Go check it out see what your course is like and if it feels right for you, go for it! X
I received an unconditional too and was not sure whether to firm it because its a 'bad uni' but this has been very helpful, thanks!
Reply 10

Probably most likely because it used to be a polytechnic until 1992ish. So its stil a baby uni compared to others. I am a student at DMU i've been here for a fair time, and I've very much fallen out of love with this place and can see the problems with it.
Pros and cons to help youre decision:
Pros:
-Convienient location nearby town.
-Good for if you are a arts student (Fashion, Architecthure etc)
- Large amount of clubs/socials
-Most lecturers and lower down staff are great and will work to help you as best as can within their limitations.

Cons:
-Overcrowded (library etc)
-If you do certain courses you can be very put out due to under-funding of the dept (Technology, engineering, IT etc) as theyve poured so much money elsewhere.
- Support facilities are stretched thin.
-Some of the admin staff higher up are absolutely awful and uninterested in sorting your problems.
-The price is being raised again and if youre going to be spending that much money you might as well go to a higher up uni if you have the chance.
- The careers/placement team are awful. (unless you're a business student)
- Lecturers arent appreciated enough by the uni (pay etc) which can lead to you get the occasional lecturer who never replies to your emails and/or is just disinterested in their work so it reflects on their teaching/assessments.

Neither pro or con (depending on how you see it)
-It is very image based, the uni cares DEEPLY about its appearance. To the point where they will fire people who work for them for speaking out.
-Theres a lot of student accommodation being built, but prices of rent are steadily rising to unreasonable prices for somewhere so far away from London.

In overall, its fine if your a student doing a subject thats heavily funded in the arts, lower down staff are great but the funding of the uni is very asymmetrical to where student services suffer and other subjects. Also if you have a problem you may have a hard time getting it sorted if its something that has to be sorted by the higher ups.
You'll also be fine if you're a business student too.

If youre doing a non arts subject and want adequate facilities, go elsewhere.
Hope thats of help.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did part time distance learning law...weekend lectures. A couple of female tutors were wonderful but the men....treated us with a mixture of hostility and amused contempt and one made grubby remarks about short skirts and called a woman a chick!! One tutor said he was glad he was leaving as it was "a mug's game" We were insulted by a rude librarian and shouted at by an invigilator !Poor student welfare and rotten IT..avoid avoid
(edited 3 years ago)
hi there

it would be great if you could come and see for yourself what DMU is about. Or next digital open day link is:

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-study/open-days/open-days.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf0ZtPogvNFdeldQjO7lRlw5DBLV17eP_47XdlBKcxnFaXXYVwoZtnRoCr64QAvD_BwE

You will get an opportunity to gain an insight into our campus, facilities, courses we offer, speak to lecturers - staff and and students and have the opportunity to ask questions. The link above, allows yourself to book onto open day and you can certainly pick and choose from all the events available if there is something you really wish to be part of.

If we I can answer any queries, via this forum plesae do feel to ask. University is such a big decision you need to be sure you are attending the place that is right for you.

leena
Reply 13
DMU give most accepted applicants unconditional offers, since we became a teaching focused university students are how we make our money so we want to make sure we get as many as possible. This can of course have a negative impact on students, particularly those that need extra learning, medical or emotional support, as those services are shared between larger and larger numbers of students. Of course, it has no impact on the most dedicated, gifted or privileged students, and we are very careful to make sure that these are the students you will most likely meet on open days or in advertising and marketing materials. We have also reduced academic expectations on a number of courses to ensure that our student satisfaction scores aren’t upset by bad grades, this means that the training on courses which are not bound by professional registration or external governing bodies has become worse. To prevent this from causing drops in graduate employment we have started a large number of one year temporary positions open only to our graduating students.

Mod notice: Anyone can use TSR to share their opinion - but users who represent an institution will be marked as 'Official Reps' clearly next to their username. Please take this into account when reading information here on TSR.
(edited 3 years ago)
I was there for two years studying fashion design, was constantly lied too about retaking my second year. The teachers I had never seemed like they actually wanted to teach you, only focused on the students they liked and on the designs that they specifically liked. Also felt as though the teachers were trying to live vicariously through the students. There was also a lot of bullying, the atmosphere was always negative and I never had a positive comment or had a teacher try and motivate me, when you were down they kept kicking. When people brought up concerns they brushed them off as though it was nothing, told people to write a statement and get people to sign to then send it off to someone else, it felt as though they had the speech memorised as though it had happened before. Also when I did fail my resubmission I tried emailing my teachers hoping to get a response about what was going on and why they lied to me, one teacher came back with my grades and saying “everything you need is on blackboard” when I looked at my feedback on my resubmission it felt more as an attack than feedback, they were totally unprofessional and rude. Tried emailing the Fashion and Textiles Coordinator about what was going on and got a response back saying that it’s not in the universities policy to allow people to retake their second year. This happened in September 2022, I wasn’t going to post this anywhere but I’ve recently just gotten a “Certificate of Higher Award” from the university and have no idea why I’ve gotten it as it was only briefly mentioned (in all honestly i forgot about it until I pulled up and old email), but when I asked about it I still got a blunt response saying they were “required to send it” I don’t know how many credits I’ve accumulated over the 2 years, i don’t know anything, I don’t know what this award has to do with anything. The leather I got with it was “Congratulations on your graduation!” Ive also been getting emails since November about my “Graduation”. I have also experienced with the university that if you’re not paying them they don’t wanna know, but they also don’t wanna know if you’re not important enough. I have friends that are doing law and business and from what they have both told me it seems that they get more attention and help with their understanding and work than I ever did with the people I had. If you want to study Fashion I’d recommend not going to this place for your education. Even though I haven’t attended this uni for 6 months I’m still getting bother from them. Also I’d like to note that when I went there I had to get anxiety supplements from Holland and Barrett’s because of how stressed I was from the course, It was so bad that I was having a panic attack at least once a day, and how the teachers were treating us, now that I’m not studying there I’ve not needed the supplements and I haven’t had a panic attack in 6 months. Im actually very glad that Im not there anymore and that I don’t have to deal with those teachers, Im just peeved at how I still can’t get a straight answer from these people.
Original post by Bridie03
I was there for two years studying fashion design, was constantly lied too about retaking my second year. The teachers I had never seemed like they actually wanted to teach you, only focused on the students they liked and on the designs that they specifically liked. Also felt as though the teachers were trying to live vicariously through the students. There was also a lot of bullying, the atmosphere was always negative and I never had a positive comment or had a teacher try and motivate me, when you were down they kept kicking. When people brought up concerns they brushed them off as though it was nothing, told people to write a statement and get people to sign to then send it off to someone else, it felt as though they had the speech memorised as though it had happened before. Also when I did fail my resubmission I tried emailing my teachers hoping to get a response about what was going on and why they lied to me, one teacher came back with my grades and saying “everything you need is on blackboard” when I looked at my feedback on my resubmission it felt more as an attack than feedback, they were totally unprofessional and rude. Tried emailing the Fashion and Textiles Coordinator about what was going on and got a response back saying that it’s not in the universities policy to allow people to retake their second year. This happened in September 2022, I wasn’t going to post this anywhere but I’ve recently just gotten a “Certificate of Higher Award” from the university and have no idea why I’ve gotten it as it was only briefly mentioned (in all honestly i forgot about it until I pulled up and old email), but when I asked about it I still got a blunt response saying they were “required to send it” I don’t know how many credits I’ve accumulated over the 2 years, i don’t know anything, I don’t know what this award has to do with anything. The leather I got with it was “Congratulations on your graduation!” Ive also been getting emails since November about my “Graduation”. I have also experienced with the university that if you’re not paying them they don’t wanna know, but they also don’t wanna know if you’re not important enough. I have friends that are doing law and business and from what they have both told me it seems that they get more attention and help with their understanding and work than I ever did with the people I had. If you want to study Fashion I’d recommend not going to this place for your education. Even though I haven’t attended this uni for 6 months I’m still getting bother from them. Also I’d like to note that when I went there I had to get anxiety supplements from Holland and Barrett’s because of how stressed I was from the course, It was so bad that I was having a panic attack at least once a day, and how the teachers were treating us, now that I’m not studying there I’ve not needed the supplements and I haven’t had a panic attack in 6 months. Im actually very glad that Im not there anymore and that I don’t have to deal with those teachers, Im just peeved at how I still can’t get a straight answer from these people.

Hi there @Bridie03 , I am sincerely sorry to hear of how your experience felt throughout your time studying with us, and as you mentioned afterwards regarding our communications. We never wish for the difficulty and upset that you have described as experiencing.

Please allow me to offer contacts that may be able to not only support but also to rectify this situation if we are able, including your Student Advice Centre and the Enquiry team to see how we are best able to offer you assistance further to this matter. Our advice centre can support and signpost you towards any further access to our well-being team. Alternatively for a more informal conversation please do reach out.

Here are the contact details and please do contact the Enquiries Team further to discuss anything you are unsure about regarding how to proceed or what DMU are able to rectify regarding this:

Student Advice Centre ADH - Email: [email protected] or contact directly Tel: 0116 257 7394

Enquiries Team - Tel: +44 (0)116 2 50 60 70 or if you would prefer Email: [email protected]

Finally, best wishes, and I am sorry that you did not experience the DMU that we strive towards and hope to deliver to our current, past, and future students.

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Amina190
Hey, I think it's just people's opinion. I am currently at DMU, studying architecture and I would not change where I am. At every uni there are people who party and drink, the choice is yours and depending on what you chose is all that you get out of it. All the friends I have made do not party or drink only a few friends on my course do. The buildings have also been improved amazingly!!! Our vijay Patel building for arts and humanities is amazing!!!!! I'm there whenever I'm not in lectures. Don't let others out you down. Go check it out see what your course is like and if it feels right for you, go for it! X
Hello I’m not sure if you’re Ab under grad or post graduate but I applied for the MArch course (haven’t gotten an offer) from Dmu and tbh I love the university but I also got Ab offer from welsh school or architecture and university of Wolverhampton, could you advice on which is best
I’m an international student and I honest like the fast that for welsh school of architecture Cardiff placement is focused on in the first year (not sure if it’s the same for DMU) but the tuition fee seems like a lot and I’m honestly bothered about me being uncomfortable cause I know it’s not as diverse as Dmu
Original post by Texdy
Hello I’m not sure if you’re Ab under grad or post graduate but I applied for the MArch course (haven’t gotten an offer) from Dmu and tbh I love the university but I also got Ab offer from welsh school or architecture and university of Wolverhampton, could you advice on which is best
I’m an international student and I honest like the fast that for welsh school of architecture Cardiff placement is focused on in the first year (not sure if it’s the same for DMU) but the tuition fee seems like a lot and I’m honestly bothered about me being uncomfortable cause I know it’s not as diverse as Dmu

Hey there @Texdy

I hope you are doing well. Congratulations on receiving your offers! :giggle:

As an International student who studied at DMU, I found the university extremely accommodation an welcoming. I had loads of support in terms of finding right accommodation to academic support (library services, assignment support), careers and placement support and a diverse community of students which I met whist being in societies.

I personally wasn't sure about DMU as it was my second choice but I decided to come here when I researched on their career support and they do live up to their expectations. I feel like it was the best decision I had taken and DMU taught me a lot and I made friends for life here. I truly believe DMU is not just about the course you study but it prepares you for the career ahead, that is what I liked about DMU.

I will definitely urge you to do your research on both universities as not every university is made for you. Try to attend their on-campus events or speak to their advisers to find more intel about the course.

In terms of DMU, you can also speak to current students and find out their current and organic experiences by visiting the following link: Online chats at DMU

I hope this can help you make an informed decision and I wish you all the best with future endeavours.

Best,
Swarda, De Montfort University :wavey:

Latest

Trending

Trending