The Student Room Group

Info On Time Frame From Start To End.

We are going to spend 4, 5 or 6 yrs getting our basic medical degree then 2 years doing our foundation year 1 and year 2. Im a bit confused about the length of the specialities such as an anaesthetist, pathologist and paediatrician etc. I know becoming a GP is 3 yrs but what are the others exactly.

Also me being a girl and most likely wanting to have kids which fields other than GPs are friendly to females who want to have families. When should you have kids in your career especially when you are doing a long speciality such as neurosurgery?

I know the first thing is to get into med school but I kind of want to have a idea of how long each training stage is.

Any advice would be welcomed.
With the whole changes in training stages and specialty training I'm not actually sure but atm I think for Neurosurgery after Foundation years its 5 years, then registrar. But yeah, I'm not sure. :redface:
Reply 2
www.mmc.nhs.uk

Rest assured, by the time you might get to the stage of worrying about this, they'll have moved the goalposts.

p.s. It never ends.
A GP in 3 years? Methinks not - that is wrong.

The Wikipedia "MMC" page detils all of it... :smile:
A GP in 3 years? Methinks not - that is wrong.

The Wikipedia "MMC" page detils all of it... :smile:
Reply 5
I've been on the website and it ive tried a lot of links and there is no where which states the length approx of each speciality and thats all i want to know.

I just checked and it seems to take 3 yrs after your 2 Foundation yrs to become a gp, check this website out:

http://www.gprecruitment.org.uk/gpcareers/programme.htm

Where it says it takes 36 months of training to become one.
Hopefully I read this right or im just going to make a greater fool of myself. :smile:
Reply 6
This link is quite useful for seeing the changes between the old system and the new system under MMC:

http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/download_files/What%20is%20changing%20at%20MMC.pdf

It says that GP training is 3 years and training in other specialties is 5-7 years.
Reply 7
from what ive gathered, medicine is very much an ongoing learning process. which seems pretty obvious i suppose, but in terms of training after the 5 yr degree, i think it varies A LOT depending on what you want to do. for example, becoming a GP takes 9 years? and a consultant takes 11 years apparently.
but certain specialities like aneasthesia (typo?!) take considerably less than something such as neurosurgery, for example. this takes aaaaages. lots of exams!
(dont quote me on all of this though, im not 100% sure!)
Reply 8
Basically you're gonna be in your thirties
Reply 9
33 is the earliest age to become a consultant now apparently.

This consists of;
Medical school (average 5years)
Foundation Year x2
Basic Medical/Surgical Training (ST years 1 and 2), leading to MRCS/MRCP qualification
Specialty Registrar (Higher surgical/medical training) x6, leading to Certificate of Completion of Training/ (and I think FRCS/FRCP/FRCA etc as well?).

Therefore ... 5+2+2+6=15 years.
Enter medical school at 18; means you're gonna be at least 33 when you can apply for consultant posts, assuming you haven't failed any of those hurdles.
sunspoon
33 is the earliest age to become a consultant now apparently.

This consists of;
Medical school (average 5years)
Foundation Year x2
Basic Medical/Surgical Training (ST years 1 and 2), leading to MRCS/MRCP qualification
Specialty Registrar (Higher surgical/medical training) x6, leading to Certificate of Completion of Training/ (and I think FRCS/FRCP/FRCA etc as well?).

Therefore ... 5+2+2+6=15 years.
Enter medical school at 18; means you're gonna be at least 33 when you can apply for consultant posts, assuming you haven't failed any of those hurdles.

the way i understood it was 5 + 2 + 6

assuming you passed your MRCP 1st time :wink:
Reply 11
Assuming MRCP counts for anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending