The Student Room Group

Getting my first job but...

Hello, I have recently applied for a job and 1 day later (last Thursday) they said to me that I can come along for the first time for a "trial shift" tomorrow. In the meantime, I found another job "house of Fraser" which pays more and so I have applied to that but they haven't accepted/denied me yet. The thing is if I do get the job at house of Fraser then I would want to go there as it pays more. What should I do in this situation?
Reply 1
go for the trial at the first job and see what house of Fraser say. If they offer you a job quit the first one.
Original post by ajj2000
go for the trial at the first job and see what house of Fraser say. If they offer you a job quit the first one.

ok, will at mother care ever say to sign a contract to stay for a certain period of time. If so what should I say to them.
Reply 3
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
ok, will at mother care ever say to sign a contract to stay for a certain period of time. If so what should I say to them.

Most contracts for retail will require you stay for one week (in other words, the notice period) before you leave. That's normal and you shouldn't say anything.
Reply 4

They wont - its a non issue. You'll be on a probation period anyway. Tell them how keen you are.
Original post by Xarao
Most contracts for retail will require you stay for one week (in other words, the notice period) before you leave. That's normal and you shouldn't say anything.

Original post by ajj2000
They wont - its a non issue. You'll be on a probation period anyway. Tell them how keen you are.

Ok, thank you sorry I haven't ever had a job so yeah. sorry if these were silly questions but they helped me a lot.

1 last question is how long should I wait to know if I should stop waiting if I do/don't get accepted for house of Fraser.
Reply 6
Ok, thank you sorry I haven't ever had a job so yeah. sorry if these were silly questions but they helped me a lot.

1 last question is how long should I wait to know if I should stop waiting if I do/don't get accepted for house of Fraser.

Why are you in such a rush?

You haven't even done the House of Fraser interview yet (or at least that's what I can gather from your post) and you're assuming you're going to be accepted. You need to stick with the job that you have now, and if you get accepted and you want to move, you let your current employer know about your notice period of one week and tell House of Fraser that you can start after one week.
Reply 7

I'd keep waiting if you like the look of the job. If nothing comes this time it might next - even more so when you have some experience at Mothercare.
Reply 8
Go to trial whilst you wait for the house of fraizer job
Reply 9
Hello, I have recently applied for a job and 1 day later (last Thursday) they said to me that I can come along for the first time for a "trial shift" tomorrow. In the meantime, I found another job "house of Fraser" which pays more and so I have applied to that but they haven't accepted/denied me yet. The thing is if I do get the job at house of Fraser then I would want to go there as it pays more. What should I do in this situation?

Get the job at house of fraser

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending