The Student Room Group

People share what jobs you guys do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Discrepancy
Social anxiety is bad af.

I understand how you feel. I never looked for a job because there was no way I was going to an interview. My brother asked his managers to let me work with him in a cafe and I did without any interview or CV. So I think this is a good way to start, if you have any friends or family who work in a "first job" type workplace then ask them to ask their managers to let you work there.
That's what my son wants to do.
nothing
Shitpost: I like that word. Sums TSR life perfectly.
Great post, I like that!
Original post by Tootles
I convert caffeine into lies, which I then sell.
He doesn't want to be a surgeon, but to work to make people's lives with Parkinsons or MS more comfortable. He loves research, and finding better medicine, or even a cure would excite him.

In a couple of weeks time, he will be working with Professor Dame Pamela Shaw

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/neuroscience-institute/people#translational

on an MS research project
Ecolier, anything you could tell my son about neurology would be like gold to him. Thanks!
Original post by Oxford Mum
He doesn't want to be a surgeon, but to work to make people's lives with Parkinsons or MS more comfortable. He loves research, and finding better medicine, or even a cure would excite him.

In a couple of weeks time, he will be working with Professor Dame Pamela Shaw

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/neuroscience-institute/people#translational

on an MS research project
is the word **** unfiltered now? oh guess not
Ecolier, my son is studying at Oxford, but we live near Sheffield (I work there). My son has always been interested in neurology, and it was me who found the neurocentre and suggested he applied there. They took him on, just to show him how they operate and it was an amazing experience for him. He particularly liked "Pam" as he called her. She took him on a ward round with him. At Oxford you don't step foot in a hospital until year 4, so this was his first one. I joked that he liked to start at the top!

Then whilst at Oxford, the professor came to give a talk on Neurology. She spotted my son in the audience, came up to him and asked him if he'd like to participate in her MS research. Of course, he jumped at the chance, and is very excited at the prospect.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Great post, I like that!

Thank you :hat2:
Yes, I do mean SiTran. Hold on, will PM you about it.
I work in pensions transfers at a well known pension provider.

Have worked behind a till, in a library, as a private languages tutor, and as a French and German teacher.
Asset and information management for a housing association.

A lot of spreadsheet and database management, with a bit of detective work on the side.
Many through the years, including;
Store lackey at many places,
Engineering student,
Intelligence officer,
Ski instructor,
Exams officer,
Communications co-ordinator,
Colleague Insight and Data Manager.
Ski instructor? Did you go on the tsr ski trip?
I work in retail
Original post by DrawTheLine
I work in retail

Do you like working in retail?
Original post by Discrepancy
Do you like working in retail?

It has good days and bad days. Mostly just medium days
I buy parts for helicopters and planes. (Cannot go into detail on what I buy, due to the Official Secrets Act. :tongue:)
Original post by Themysticalegg
I buy parts for helicopters and planes. (Cannot go into detail on what I buy, due to the Official Secrets Act. :tongue:)

How much do you get paid?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending