The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Okay this is something that's really worrying me. I'm international and for some reason, my stupid school doesn't offer Economics as an A level, so I had to take Business Studies instead, which I now know is 'non-preferred'. Apart from that, I have good grades and I was lucky enough to get an offer from LSE for Economics and Economic History. I worried myself sick about this throughout the UCAS process, given that I was applying for Economics-related courses, and am so grateful that universities have looked past this ill-informed decision. I believe I have the potential to do well in this field, but will my choice of Business Studies (and lack of the Economics A level) haunt me and ruin my chances of securing spring week internships? Sorry if this sounds dramatic lol, I have no idea what the application process involves, but I'm guessing since you're only in your first year of uni, you will have to list your A level subjects and grades too. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Edit: I love how I was negged for this :s-smilie: Sorry for asking a question about my subjects profile not being good enough on the "Am I good enough for IB/Consultancy thread".
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by saks10111
Okay this is something that's really worrying me. I'm international and for some reason, my stupid school doesn't offer Economics as an A level, so I had to take Business Studies instead, which I now know is 'non-preferred'. Apart from that, I have good grades and I was lucky enough to get an offer from LSE for Economics and Economic History. I worried myself sick about this throughout the UCAS process, given that I was applying for Economics-related courses, and am so grateful that universities have looked past this ill-informed decision. I believe I have the potential to do well in this field, but will my choice of Business Studies (and lack of the Economics A level) haunt me and ruin my chances of securing spring week internships? Sorry if this sounds dramatic lol, I have no idea what the application process involves, but I'm guessing since you're only in your first year of uni, you will have to list your A level subjects and grades too. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

To answer briefly.

No, If you get into LSE, you won't get rejected for lack of an economics A-level. You list your A-levels but as long as they are good grades, they won't care too much
OK people heres an interesting case:

AAAA A-level
Cambridge Veterinary Sciences Tripos / BA Pathology (2.1)
Imperial MSc Epidemiology / Public Health
Internship on Technology/Commerce desk @ Canadian High Commission
Job as multilingual PR analyst involving work for HSBC
Work on farms

Do I stand a chance at getting into IB / Big 4 consultancy (maybe healthcare sector management @ BCG) - and how do I pull it off?

All advice welcome.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jamz0770
To answer briefly.

No, If you get into LSE, you won't get rejected for lack of an economics A-level. You list your A-levels but as long as they are good grades, they won't care too much

Thanks, that's a relief.
Reply 1984
Post-grad:

Where of these would you go:

Durham - MA Management
St Andrews - Mlitt International Business
Edinburgh - MSc Management
Bristol - MSc Management
Nottingham - MSc Management
KCL - MSc Managament
York - MSc Strategic Management and International Business
Newcastle - MA International Business

Still waititng to hear back from Warwick for MSc Business Analytics and Consulting and am not too keen on KCL.

This is for Management Consulting to get into Accenture.

Apologies but I started a new thread before seeing this one:

Cheers,

Andrew

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30613327#post30613327
I've firmed Southampton for Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering.

By the general atmosphere in this thread, I'm guessing you guys think my chances are approaching 0.

Will be back here in 4-5 years to say just how i'm doing.
Original post by chaz1992
I've firmed Southampton for Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering.

By the general atmosphere in this thread, I'm guessing you guys think my chances are approaching 0.

Will be back here in 4-5 years to say just how i'm doing.

I see that you've got an offer (a lower one too) from Warwick. May I ask what is it that made you choose Southampton over Warwick, particularly if you're aiming to get into IB?
Original post by Panda Vinnie
I see that you've got an offer (a lower one too) from Warwick. May I ask what is it that made you choose Southampton over Warwick, particularly if you're aiming to get into IB?

IB mainly target Warwick Maths and Economics students. Their Engineering department is not widely recognised as one of the best, in fact it's fairly average. Also, the town was very dead when I went to visit.

The reason I chose Southampton is rumour has it is that they are arranging an intrnational exchange with CalTech for Mechanical Engineering and if I am privilidged enough to go there, I'm sure UK IB will at least give me an internship.

SOTON is also renowned for producing some of the best F1 engineers today along with Imperial, Cranfield and Loughborough. Adrian Newey graduated from there and according to the admissions tutor, every year it is him that recommends Red Bull to consider hiring SOTON graduates as they don't want to lose potential talent to McLaren (based in Woking which is a few miles away from SOTON).
Reply 1988
I am in a bit of a pickle and I have consulted some members on this boards but the more input you get the better I suppose.

I currently hold offers from Imperial (MSc Finance), Warwick (MSc Finance) and Cass (MSc Investment Management).

I am a foreign student, graduating from a BSc in Finance with a first, top 2% of my class, vice president of my unis investment fund and a tutor in corporate finance. I also work part-time as an accountant.

Now I decided to do a MSc and if I had the money I'd probably pick Imperial. However I wont be able to afford it and as I used to live in London before (2 years) I am eager to go back to re-visit all my friends etc hence Warwick is probably out of the question. Now would I be completely screwed if I'd go for the Cass course (assuming I do well in it ofcourse)? The tuition fee is still rather high so I dont want to throw my money at a doomed project so to speak.

As I foreign student I would appriciate your help.

oh also, my long term goal is to join the buy-side (i.e. blackrock etc) as an investment manager but I wouldent mind a couple of years in IB working as an analyst or something similar.

Thanks!
Original post by suede
I am in a bit of a pickle and I have consulted some members on this boards but the more input you get the better I suppose.

I currently hold offers from Imperial (MSc Finance), Warwick (MSc Finance) and Cass (MSc Investment Management).

I am a foreign student, graduating from a BSc in Finance with a first, top 2% of my class, vice president of my unis investment fund and a tutor in corporate finance. I also work part-time as an accountant.

Now I decided to do a MSc and if I had the money I'd probably pick Imperial. However I wont be able to afford it and as I used to live in London before (2 years) I am eager to go back to re-visit all my friends etc hence Warwick is probably out of the question. Now would I be completely screwed if I'd go for the Cass course (assuming I do well in it ofcourse)? The tuition fee is still rather high so I dont want to throw my money at a doomed project so to speak.

As I foreign student I would appriciate your help.

oh also, my long term goal is to join the buy-side (i.e. blackrock etc) as an investment manager but I wouldent mind a couple of years in IB working as an analyst or something similar.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity have you applied for any IB jobs? Your credentials seem impressive enough to land you an analyst gig. You'd be better off doing 2-3yrs of IB-->MBA-->Buyside than 1 yr MSc-->2-3 yrs of IB-->??>???
Reply 1990
Hey,

thanks for taking the time to help me out. I didnt even know I could apply for jobs (as in a proper job as an analyst) with just a BSc? This excludes internships of course.

In Norway (where I'm from) you basically need a Master to do anything relevant.

Would I have a decent chance at getting a job, i.e. not an internship, at an IB?
Original post by suede
Hey,

thanks for taking the time to help me out. I didnt even know I could apply for jobs (as in a proper job as an analyst) with just a BSc? This excludes internships of course.

In Norway (where I'm from) you basically need a Master to do anything relevant.

Would I have a decent chance at getting a job, i.e. not an internship, at an IB?

Are you in your final year at the moment? If so, I think you have missed the graduate job boat as deadline were Sept/Oct/Nov.

However, doing a masters and applying for graduate jobs whilst holding only a BSc is an option that you can pursue.
Hi guys! Just curious about a particular stage in the application process.
I'm doing a good degree at a good university from where plenty of people this year alone are getting internships and jobs in investment banking.
I've got my eye on perhaps getting into trading. It looks absolutely fascinating.
One thing I'm concerned about is the screening process that comes when you apply. I only got AAC at Advanced Higher (equivalent to A-Level). Am I likely to be filtered out of the process even before they get a look in at who I actually am?

Thanks.
Hi guys,

Just curious about one thing:
Is it impossible to find a FO full-time job without a FO internship?

My brother wants to go into trading as a full-time analyst. Though he has done some finance-related internships(including one in Tech in a BB), he never does a FO internship.
He's currently doing a BEng in the like of Bath/Bristol/Durham and decides to do a MSc Investment Management at Cass.

He applied for trading internships this year and got around 5-6 interviews but fail to land an offer, probably because 1). he is not well-prepared for the first 1-2 interviews as he expect all competency-based question whilst interviewers do ask market-related questions. 2). he didn't study finance before, but know he is catching up after he fails the first few interviews and will do a finance-related master degree to enhance his financial knowledge. 3). sometimes you really need luck.

He decides to get some work experience with Amplify trading. (Yeah.. he has to pay for it, but he is really keen on trading and think the experience at Amplify could help him to get some insights on daily life as well as financial knowledge)

In the coming recruiting cycle, should he apply for internships or full-time?
I know this recruitment cycle, banks didn't do any full-time hiring and ppl are always saying it's impossible to get a FO offer without a FO internship. But I heard this year, the hiring is picking up after 2 years underhire. So do you guys think if he has any chance if applying for full-time trading next year?
(edited 13 years ago)
what is better to become a trader or even to work in sales :

profile_

Top 1% of top 20 university undergraduate econ
msc fin imperial (pending )
portfolio risk internship in bank

choice is:

Corporate finance advisory at a dried up deal flow firm that deals with the middle market.

Asset management (real estate ) fund analyst. Also equities analysis. Small firm again 225mil

Private equity firm, telecommunications. Very small firm.

PS will i even make it FO, bilingual, good EC's. CFA1-3 not sure if i pass level 2-3. Be as critical as possible and any advice even if 'your screwed for going to top20' will be good.
Reply 1995
I am a foreign student so I cant really comment on the choices as it would only be speculation from my part. However the "top 20 uni" comment which keeps popping up on these forums like 10 times everyday is getting rather old.

I got -alot- of friends in the field of finance working both in FO roles, advisory roles and mgmt roles in both London, US and Scandinavia, and the majority of them did not attend LSE/Oxbdrige/Imperial/Warwick (Im from Sweden). So guess what - as long as you have excellent grades, internships and good extracurricular you will get the recruiters attention, no matter what these ignorant kids on these boards keep telling you. Your profile is impressive and with the MSc from Imperial you will get the additional upshot or the brandname (which makes it easier but by no means guarantees you a FO position).

None of the schools in Norway/Sweden (which is what Im basing this on) is close to LSE/Oxbridge rankings yet people still manage to get FO roles so dont take these people too seriously. It will be easier with a brand name on your cv, but its no guarantee that you land the job.

Also, I hope you accept the Imperial offer, I am also going to do the MSc Finance at Imperial 2011/2012!
i think we will both make it, I have a few assessments upcoming. Will firm Imperial 95%, 10% if i get scholarshp of 10000 :smile:
Original post by suede
I am a foreign student so I cant really comment on the choices as it would only be speculation from my part. However the "top 20 uni" comment which keeps popping up on these forums like 10 times everyday is getting rather old.

I got -alot- of friends in the field of finance working both in FO roles, advisory roles and mgmt roles in both London, US and Scandinavia, and the majority of them did not attend LSE/Oxbdrige/Imperial/Warwick (Im from Sweden). So guess what - as long as you have excellent grades, internships and good extracurricular you will get the recruiters attention, no matter what these ignorant kids on these boards keep telling you. Your profile is impressive and with the MSc from Imperial you will get the additional upshot or the brandname (which makes it easier but by no means guarantees you a FO position).

None of the schools in Norway/Sweden (which is what Im basing this on) is close to LSE/Oxbridge rankings yet people still manage to get FO roles so dont take these people too seriously. It will be easier with a brand name on your cv, but its no guarantee that you land the job.

Also, I hope you accept the Imperial offer, I am also going to do the MSc Finance at Imperial 2011/2012!

I'm also Swedish, and I know people from other schools than SSE (Lund, Gothenburg, Uppsala) that got IB-internships in London.

Myself from Uppsala and got a role at RBS in London, and on my AC there were people from top6 but most offers were made to people from average European universities.
Original post by suede

That's pretty misleading advice. When people on these forums refer to "top 20" (or top 5 more like) they don't mean globally, they mean in the UK. Just because you know people from Norway/Sweden in FO roles does not mean people from mediocre uni unis in the UK generally have a realistic shot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1999
All I am saying is that people, just like yourself right now, keep telling people who get in to mid-tier unis will never have a shot at FO IB roles which is silly. Furthermore, this applies more to undergraduate study rather than postgraduate.

Do you think, that in an industry as big as IB, there is no one from a mid-tier uni who had excellent grades, a good network etc? As I pointed out, it will be alot easier from a top 5 uni sure, but it's not impossible which is what you guys makes it out to be.

Also, I underlined that I was talking about scandinavia, so I am pretty sure people are aware of this when they read the post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending