The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

First point fair enough. Second kinda supports my thesis. 'Alpha types' with which your friend is implicating that he walks with these beasts. ('As I like to call them') Adversity as a fuel of progression is also a ridiculous comment. Adversity in moderation perhaps, but not outright. Ambition is good but not at the cost of egoism.
Reply 781
hamzab
Who's Jan? Bit of a random
Thing to bring up??

mate i honestly think you need to stop worrying about unis and courses and instead of spending so much time posting on these threads, just revise your ass off and try to get as many A's as you can this year, you've got the whole of summer to worry about everything else. just focus on getting your A's for now..once you've got those in the bag then take it from there
Reply 782
Brown_Bateman
Boo freaking hoo.

Everyone has problems of their own. Quit your whining, suck it up and push ahead. You're not as "special" as you may think. I'm not going to divulge into my background and elaborate as to why I feel I've had a tougher time than you have, but I have. No one cares. Everyone has their own problems to deal with.

Even one of the biggest success stories out there (Jan Sramek) didn't exactly have a rosy childhood either. IIRC, his household income is under £10,000.

Point: stfu

good post.

moral of the story: get off the internet and revise.
Reply 783
Can you get into IB if you don't give a ****?
Foxius
Yes, plenty of people do it. You might not last long though, and might not get converted to FT. But, yes, getting into the IB can be done if you don't give a ****.
Foxius

Was that worth it for you?
what are the chances of getting into IB/consultancy if u graduate from uni of manchester with Bsc Economics? please quote me x
GoldmanSachs
what are the chances of getting into IB/consultancy if u graduate from uni of manchester with Bsc Economics? please quote me x

Manchester is actually pretty good for IB prospects. So recent recruitment stats say anyway. On par with Bristol/Durham etc
We should just ban these university statistics outright. They're just employed by students at lesser universities and Imperial to generate false hope/prestige. It's ironic really; their inability to spot underlying causation or outliers is far more indicative of their prospects in IB than the statistic itself.
Reply 789
Breitling
Was that worth it for you?

Yes, it felt so right.
Benh842
We should just ban these university statistics outright. They're just employed by students at lesser universities and Imperial to generate false hope/prestige. It's ironic really; their inability to spot underlying causation or outliers is far more indicative of their prospects in IB than the statistic itself.

I assume you're doing Part III Maths at Cambridge then Benh?...
:rolleyes:
dalianatkinson
I assume you're doing Part III Maths at Cambridge then Benh?...

No. "Underlying causation" and "outliers" are big words for common sense. Sadly underrated.
Benh842
:rolleyes:

No. "Underlying causation" and "outliers" are big words for common sense. Sadly underrated.

Was just assuming that you were on a top class course at a top class uni, on the basis of your vitriol towards those 'beneath' you. Never mind, I'm sure you'll be one of those outliers you're so fond of.
Reply 793
Guys, I'm a rebellious student who's ruthless and money-obsessed. I'm inspired by the Playboy brand and i Hugh Heffner is one of my most admired business figures. I play rugby and i admit i am cocky, but i take business very seriously. I have a raw hunger to make as much money as possible.
To me making money is better than sex.

Do you think i could become a trader?

:awesome:
Reply 794
Bateman
Guys, I'm a rebellious student who's ruthless and money-obsessed. I'm inspired by the Playboy brand and i Hugh Heffner is one of my most admired business figures. I play rugby and i admit i am cocky, but i take business very seriously. I have a raw hunger to make as much money as possible.

drop out of school and you're set
dalianatkinson
Was just assuming that you were on a top class course at a top class uni, on the basis of your vitriol towards those 'beneath' you. Never mind, I'm sure you'll be one of those outliers you're so fond of.

I can be in the 'top class' category, or the 'outlier' category? This is a fantastical distribution you've assumed.
Bateman

Go to Loughborough. I hear everyone gets in from there. You'd like the rugby, too.
Reply 797
Benh842
Go to Loughborough. I hear everyone gets in from there. You'd like the rugby, too.

I hear they do well in the rankings as well
Reply 798
Bateman

hang on a sec..aren't you that trainee stockbroker from belfast..the one who looks like gavin henson?
Reply 799
yeah mate, how do you know?

News about talent travels fast don't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending