The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Maturity
In IB? Stop teasing him.

yep , in IB and yea stop teasing me lol

, i posted in an IB forum so its kind of obvious for people who think their smart with their Starbucks comments
FifthQuarter
Dude, just say what position: IBD and S&T front-office roles? MO? BO? I know what the City of London is, because I worked in the City and will be working in the City. My apologies if I caused much confusion here.

In my honest opinion, you have a decent chance. Everyone knows that Birmingham University is not Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, or Imperial. But I have seen kids from Birmingham breaking into IBD and S&T (front-office roles). "Decent" is very subjective and it all depends on you. I am sure you know that already. It will be more difficult for you to get a FO job in the City than if you were at LSE or Oxbridge.

A better question would be: what can I do to overcome the "University of Birmingham" brand name (let's be honest, it's no Oxbridge) and land a FO job in the City of London? You should network with your university alums who work in the City, recent graduates who now work in the City and etc. ask them how they did it and learn from them.

Thanks
Stupid troll post. waste of 2 minutes of my life
Reply 1183
Thomassss
yep , in IB and yea stop teasing me lol

, i posted in an IB forum so its kind of obvious for people who think their smart with their Starbucks comments

well this is also a consulting forum.
plus, there are several areas in IB which require diffeent levels of qualification. you jsut should have been more specific.
KLL
well this is also a consulting forum.
plus, there are several areas in IB which require diffeent levels of qualification. you jsut should have been more specific.

Im not too bothered really, I enjoy Finance, Devising Strategies , I can Manage a variety of projects/investments at the same time . The Stockmarket looks appealing but how interesting is it looking at numbers go up and down all day ? id prefer something in Managing a Business or Group of Companies

I just dont want to waste my time applying for positions or at companies where I have no chance

Ideally Im looking for a Career where I can earn 100K before the age of 32
Reply 1185
Thomassss
Im not too bothered really, I just dont want to waste my time applying for positions or at companies where I have no chance

Ideally Im looking for a Career where I can earn 100K before the age of 32

What passion.

For that, Big4 will do.
Reply 1186
may as well ask.

Pretty sure I can get AAA (maths, further maths and economics ) got a in classics too. Maybe I could get A*A*A* but not sure obviously. GCEs are A*A*A*AAAAABB

I have offers from City and Kent for actuarial science. Hopefully LSE too. And Warwick for MMORSE. I think I'll choose LSE actuarial science though if I get an offer from them.

chances good or not? Is actuarial science at LSE a good degree for IB?
Reply 1187
manutd17
Hi, im new on here. Just wanted some advice on getting into IB. Currently im a 1st year undergraduate studying Economics. Although I have average a-level results (ABBb) I am interested in a career in IB so have applied for spring internships. I also study french as a kind of minor of part of my degree. I have quite a bit of EC's ie , decent at sports, done volunteering, applying for for department role, and work shadowed
Just wanted to know what my chances would be getting into the SW's and possibly for subsquent internships. Btw i've applied and passed the tests for UBS, and Barcap and I think CS. Im not sure exactly what area of an IB, was thinking about FICC, IBD, or the back office. If I did a SW i'll prob know by then

Thanks

What Uni are you at?
I'm applying to LSE and Cam for Masters and just wondering if going to any of these two will improve my chances of gettting interviews at non-BB IBs?

I'm at mid-tierish uni and I have no problem at getting Big 4 interviews as I've done internships both in tax and audit.

Extra-curricular is non existent but i'm a treasurer in a small society.

Anything else I can do to improve my chances? No summer internship in the pipeline at the moment.
Like you say, "Extra-curricular is non existent", so do more. Run the summer ball or something.
Reply 1190
Hi. I am on course to get a highish 1st (hopefully 78%+) in chemistry from Bristol. I also have a summer internship at Bloomberg but lots of banks have rejected me for grad/intern and I have thusfar not managed to secure a banking internship. I was thinking about waiting a year temping, then apply to cambridge for an Mphil in finance and thus get onto the same level as the oxbridge/lse crowd in terms of not getting my cv thrown in the bin.

is this a good plan?
Hey, quick question.....

if I do saay,.....biology at imperial....or.....psychology at UCL or similar subject at a sexy london uni :biggrin:...would I have a good chance of getting into IB/consultancy...
infernalcradle
if I do saay,.....biology at imperial....or.....psychology at UCL or similar subject at a sexy london uni :biggrin:...would I have a good chance of getting into IB/consultancy...

Well, which? IB or consulting? They're entirely different.
crafty bison
Well, which? IB or consulting? They're entirely different.

both :biggrin:

what would my chances be for IB

what would my chances be for consultancy,....

and what would I have to do to get into either

is Economics at UCL good enough to go into a management consultant like Accenture or McKinsey or one of the top IB like Goldmann, Deutsche bank?

help appreciated
am i?????

see sig
Sub Zero
is Economics at UCL good enough to go into a management consultant like Accenture or McKinsey or one of the top IB like Goldmann, Deutsche bank?

help appreciated

It would really help if you did a bit of research first - firstly as to which of the two career paths you want to go for, and secondly about the career paths themselves. Accenture and McKinsey should never be mentioned in the same breath, but since those are the two you ask about: yes, it's definitely good enough for Accenture; it COULD be good enough for McKinsey but only with excellent extra-curriculars and work experience.
crafty bison
It would really help if you did a bit of research first - firstly as to which of the two career paths you want to go for, and secondly about the career paths themselves. Accenture and McKinsey should never be mentioned in the same breath, but since those are the two you ask about: yes, it's definitely good enough for Accenture; it COULD be good enough for McKinsey but only with excellent extra-curriculars and work experience.

who is on the same level as Accenture for management consulting? ibm global business, capgemini, bain and company?
why are mckinsey so selective? surely ucl economics would get an interview?
thanks
flugestuge
It is blasphemy to mention Bain in the same breath as Accenture.
Go do your research before embarrassing yourself.

sorry i didn't know as i'm still new to the whole management consultancy/ IB field (i'm 17 if that explains it).
so i'm guessing accenture is in the same league as capgemini and ibm for management consultancy.
Yes. But one really should describe them as "technology consultancies". You need to decide what sort of a job you want, and do some more research, before asking us any more questions really.

McKinsey and Bain (both of which who you have mentioned) are top-level strategy houses and are almost certainly beyond you (not a slight on you: they're almost certainly beyond everyone). UCL is a black mark on your application to both as within the UK the only universities that will add value to your McKinsey/Bain application are Oxford and Cambridge; however, like I said before, UCL isn't "too bad" and so you could still get an interview with strong ECs and work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending