The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

JamieP
It enabled me to move back to Manchester for a couple of years and build up work experience at a well respected firm as well as getting the ACA which is a good fall back qualification to have.

Am now starting to think about what to do when I qualify though and wondering if I'm now a better candidate for the job I really want.

You'll be competiting for jobs with those ACA graduates in London so I think competition will be intense.
Reply 1581
verticalforce
You'll be competiting for jobs with those ACA graduates in London so I think competition will be intense.

Surely an ACA grad from Manchester is much the same as an ACA grad from London... No?
Doesn't really matter where you do your ACA
Just to put it out there I have a friend who has:
Full Marks in International Bacc.
2.i Mathematics from Cambridge

And he is finding it hard to get into IB Internships, despite the absolutely GLOWING references.
eatmorepeanuts
Just to put it out there I have a friend who has:
Full Marks in International Bacc.
2.i Mathematics from Cambridge

And he is finding it hard to get into IB Internships, despite the absolutely GLOWING references.

Why would references matter?

Maybe he is socially inept? Not an all-round candidate? Poor understanding of the industry? BO?
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Why would references matter?

Maybe he is socially inept? Not an all-round candidate? Poor understanding of the industry? BO?

Of Courses references matter, they matter for whatever job/internship you apply for. If your professor says you are inept you will not get a job.

Nope, has extra currc, leadership roles, etc. No BO that I know of. Definitely good understanding of industry/econ etc. b/c he got offered a PhD in finance from Cambridge.
I really don't know whats going on in there though.
eatmorepeanuts
Of Courses references matter, they matter for whatever job/internship you apply for. If your professor says you are inept you will not get a job.

Nope, has extra currc, leadership roles, etc. No BO that I know of. Definitely good understanding of industry/econ etc. b/c he got offered a PhD in finance from Cambridge.
I really don't know whats going on in there though.

Sure references matter, but I was under the impression (correct me I am wrong) that references come at the end of the application process, ie. to check that you haven't been telling porkies.

Has he been getting interviews?
how well regarded are the cass undergraduate degrees by IB???
Will a maths degree from St Andrews be good enough for Front Office? Especially if you have a first?
Ultimate1
Will a maths degree from St Andrews be good enough for Front Office? Especially if you have a first?

Don't let that other thread affect you (about being made a guaranteed offer)..

There are better choices..

You can do maths at
Cam, Ox, LSE (with econ), War, Imp, UCL

These 6 are the most targeted
Focus08
Don't let that other thread affect you (about being made a guaranteed offer)..

There are better choices..

You can do maths at
Cam, Ox, LSE (with econ), War, Imp, UCL

These 6 are the most targeted

Thanks, mate. Out of those uni's you've listed I'm gonna apply to three of them, however isn't UCL's maths dapertment a bit dodgy for maths? Also will doing MORSE instead of maths increase chances of IB or just the same or less?
Ultimate1
Thanks, mate. Out of those uni's you've listed I'm gonna apply to three of them, however isn't UCL's maths dapertment a bit dodgy for maths? Also will doing MORSE instead of maths increase chances of IB or just the same or less?

I really like MORSE because it's so unique.. Might give you a better preparation for some IB roles, and you have more control over the difficulty of maths, which is a significant advantage (plus you can add extra finance/econ modules to your degree)..

So MORSE, but that's just me...
Reply 1592
Change of situation for me:-

At Aston Uni, studying International Business and Economics, achieved a 2:2 in my 2nd year (no excuses) but still allowed a 2:1 prediction overall, currently doing a (1 year) placement for credit risk management (eg credit reviews of clients, basel 2 grading system etc). Had some previous work exp at HSBC as a financial assistant and an assistant manager at a retail store.

Presume I end up with a 2:1 minimum, how would the outlook be of entering a career in risk management? don't know if there are any users who work in the field of risk management on this forum, considering most of the users are trying to get FO roles
If some one worked in IB for 2 years and then what exit opportunities into less time consuming careers would be available to him ?

would the fact that he did not have a CIMA be a disadvantage for him ?
AAA in a levels in maths economics and physics
1st Southampton in mechanical engineering?
James10000
If some one worked in IB for 2 years and then what exit opportunities into less time consuming careers would be available to him ?

would the fact that he did not have a CIMA be a disadvantage for him ?

Q1. Do some research.

Q2. I would go as far to say that doing the CIMA would actually be a disadvantage. It's a completely useless qualification for IBD. The only qualification that can really advance your career in banking is an MBA (or possibly an ACA).
Zweihander
Q1. Do some research.

Q2. I would go as far to say that doing the CIMA would actually be a disadvantage. It's a completely useless qualification for IBD. The only qualification that can really advance your career in banking is an MBA (or possibly an ACA).

+ CFA
Zweihander
Q1. Do some research.

Are there less time intensive jobs available in IB ? or is the only alternative moving into finance/accounting
James10000
Are there less time intensive jobs available in IB ? or is the only alternative moving into finance/accounting

You just want a job with fewer hours, or do you want a job with more pay and fewer hours?

In IBD the typical exit opps are Private Equity, Hedge Funds, Venture Capital firms or Corporate Development. You'll be paid more in the first three options, but you'll probably never work 40 hours a week (it's usually around 60/65 hours).

Corp Dev, basically in-house M&A (usually for FTSE 100 companies), is slightly more 9-5, but you're paid significantly less than the other three (usually even less than in banking), the other three are also harder to break into.

If you want to go into PE I would recommend staying away from the megafunds (KKR, Blackstone, Carlyle et al) as you'll be working pretty much banking hours.
How's a degree from these uni's looked at for IB FO:
Bath, Durham, UCL, Nottingham and Oxford.

Also is MO as intensive as FO and is the pay good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending