The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Nightlife

Well for me, nightlife is VERY important for me when taking account unis to go to. Sorry.

Is leicester particularly good?

Scroll to see replies

Well I'd had to stick my neck out and say "particularly" good, but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Depends where you compare it to. Having lived in Leicester until I moved to uni, I always thought it had a pretty good nightlife. D&B, Reggae, Alternative nights are all around, as are regular bars (my personal reccommendations would be Firebug - even if they do slightly overcharge - Sophbeck and The Polar Bear on Thursdays - quids in! :biggrin:).

However, then I moved to Edinburgh. And my mind was fully blown.
I've just left Manchester University- the nightlife there is a whole new level.

I hope Leicester is pretty good though!
Reply 4
Leicester is good. Not amazing, but it's good.
Reply 5
I have friends who go to places such as Manchester and Newcastle (both known for amazing nights) And whilst they said Leicester isnt as good as them (its like half the size so its no surprise) they have all come away with really good impressions of Leicester and said its a wicked night out lol
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies! Well I loved the uni and the course so I deffo will be applying, but if I'm honest I really do want to have a bit of a party at uni lol so I will definitely be looking at bigger cities
Reply 7
I'm on a gap year and I am enjoying the student nights out in Leicester (as I live in Leicester and have friends that got to Leicester Uni)
But I will always reccomend MOSH!:top:
Reply 8
It's dead. Seriously, compared to 3 years ago, the city is actually dead.
Personally I dont really like going out in Leicester. The 2 main clubs are pretty average to be honest, although there are a few nice bars around. Depends what you are into. If you want partying hard, clubbing etc id opt for somewhere like Manchester which has more going on than you could even imagine. Although basing your university decision largely on nightlife probably isnt the wisest thing you will ever do.

I love everything else about Leicester, and id reccommend it to anyone- but nights out here just dont compare to back home (which happens to be London, so thats probably why) so I rarely go out here anymore and just save my pennies for nights out with friends when I go back home.
Reply 10
The biggest clubs are rubbish. The bars and smaller more niche clubs are ok. Generally im bored of it here...
Reply 11
As said before it depends what you're into. For live music Leicester is pants, although Nottingham is very close and has better venues. For stuff like dnb and dubstep there is a thriving scene as anyone who has been to Filtered or Kontakt will attest to. For the more standard mainstream clubs there is pretty much the same as any other student city so you wouldn't be disappointed in that respect.
Reply 12
If you're a student, there are actually quite a few clubs and bars to explore. And of course, as we all know, students make the most out of where they are.

That said, you have to search well for the good places. I was always skeptical about the city's nightlife, but there are plenty of places if you just look hard enough. You'll also have to get used to the almost derelict centre at night. Well, it's not that no one is out having fun, it's just that they're not out and about like you would see in London.
The nightlife here is ok, but not the best.... depends what u want Bars/clubs.... Quiet drink with friends or a major pissup? to be honest, you will get all of that from Leicester, so can't be all that bad....
Reply 14
Nothing compared to the likes of any big city like manc, london, newcastle, b'ham etc, but gonna be better than any town or village about. Still pretty average if you ask me
I am seriously Considering De Montfort university and I am from liverpool where as you willl all know has an amazing nightlife..

I think its all about making the best out of a situation..

also what type of music is usually played in the clubs..

Thanks much
Reply 16
Music in clubs places like liquid and life is chart music with envy playing cheese and 90's crap. Mosh has like indie music, cheese etc. Zanzibar has charts top floor, then rnb, dancehall etc bottom floor. Then theres quite a few dnb and dubstep nights going on every so often at the music cafe and superfly
Reply 17
Hey, im heading to leicester in a few weeks time visiting relations. wheres the best student bars on a tuesday?
Reply 18
Mosh!
jpos85
Hey, im heading to leicester in a few weeks time visiting relations. wheres the best student bars on a tuesday?

As well as Mosh, which is really good fun if you're into Indie, try Superfly. They have a fairly new student night on Tuesdays called PicNic, playing Dubstep/Electro/Hip-Hop/Indie. I've not been to it yet, but Superfly is a really good venue, entry is normally quite cheap, and drinks ought to be reasonable too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending