The Student Room Group

Asylum Decision maker.

Hi I have been offered both the asylum decision maker and a criminal investigator. I have a young family and just wondering if anyone with previous experience would totally rule out the asylum decision maker ? There was a lot of comments regarding treatment of employees but thinking this might have changed now it’s working from home. I would be based in Belfast.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emz8989!
Hi I have been offered both the asylum decision maker and a criminal investigator. I have a young family and just wondering if anyone with previous experience would totally rule out the asylum decision maker ? There was a lot of comments regarding treatment of employees but thinking this might have changed now it’s working from home. I would be based in Belfast.

I'm coming from an immigration officer role with Home Office. Going to criminal investigator. There's no way I would do the Asylum role. A huge workload, very behind schedule (currently 70,000 outstanding cases and rising every week with small boats). Once trained you will be left to get on with a workload with minimal support. However this is a from outside Asylum view. Although I was dealing on the front line with those seeking asylum regularly. I believe you'll get more satisfaction and transferable skills as an investigator.
Reply 2
Original post by Medicman74
I'm coming from an immigration officer role with Home Office. Going to criminal investigator. There's no way I would do the Asylum role. A huge workload, very behind schedule (currently 70,000 outstanding cases and rising every week with small boats). Once trained you will be left to get on with a workload with minimal support. However this is a from outside Asylum view. Although I was dealing on the front line with those seeking asylum regularly. I believe you'll get more satisfaction and transferable skills as an investigator.

Take it from an inside Asylum view (as a decision maker previously) your spot on…

Hello I gave my asylum decision maker interview nearly 20 days back, how long you reckon before they let me know where I stand ?
Reply 4
Original post by deepghotra1234
Hello I gave my asylum decision maker interview nearly 20 days back, how long you reckon before they let me know where I stand ?

Hey, how long did it take for you to hear back after?
Original post by Lythan

It took nearly 3 weeks . I have cleared my security and have been asked for a start date since then 😀
Reply 6
question @deepghotra1234 or anyone if possible. Im currently in the process of applying for Asylum Decision maker and i am onto the video sift and then have an online assessment and was wondering if you can give me some insight into some questions you were asked or what the online assessment (written and roleplay) is about if possible?
(edited 1 year ago)

Don’t bother if you value your mental health
You'll always get a few negative comments if you mention the asylum DM role. Personally, I think it's a great job. Learning about different countries and interviewing applicants means your work is always varied and never boring.

The main issue is stats and they've started to move away from individual stats to a more team-based approach. You also now get to set your own expectations for the week instead of being expected to complete an arbitrary 'X' number of events.

If you are able to analyse information and write decisions in a timely manner then it's a great job. If you can't, it can be very stressful.

I also believe the job is graded incorrectly; it should be HEO at least. A large part of why there is so much turnover is because the grade is so low (reflected in truly terrible pay) and a lot of people don't expect just how much work goes into writing consistent decisions.
Original post by Lythan

It took about 3 weeks
Original post by HappyFugu11
You'll always get a few negative comments if you mention the asylum DM role. Personally, I think it's a great job. Learning about different countries and interviewing applicants means your work is always varied and never boring.

The main issue is stats and they've started to move away from individual stats to a more team-based approach. You also now get to set your own expectations for the week instead of being expected to complete an arbitrary 'X' number of events.

If you are able to analyse information and write decisions in a timely manner then it's a great job. If you can't, it can be very stressful.

I also believe the job is graded incorrectly; it should be HEO at least. A large part of why there is so much turnover is because the grade is so low (reflected in truly terrible pay) and a lot of people don't expect just how much work goes into writing consistent decisions.

Is flexible working and working around school runs allowed ? Will I be expected to work fixed hours each day or they are considerate towards allowing to work with the family and work like balance ?
Is flexible working and working around school runs allowed ? Will I be expected to work fixed hours each day or they are considerate towards allowing to work with the family and work like balance ?

Core hours are 10am-3pm, so you can generally start any time before 10am or leave any time after 3pm. If you have an interview scheduled, you may have to start earlier or leave later. Interviews can potentially take a very long time so if you have an afternoon interview scheduled, you may need to consider that you won't be able to make the school run on that day.

We are currently working in a 60:40 hybrid arrangement, so 60% of your time can be working from home and the remaining 40% needs to be from the office. In my experience, managers are very flexible surrounding this though.
Core hours are 10am-3pm, so you can generally start any time before 10am or leave any time after 3pm. If you have an interview scheduled, you may have to start earlier or leave later. Interviews can potentially take a very long time so if you have an afternoon interview scheduled, you may need to consider that you won't be able to make the school run on that day.

We are currently working in a 60:40 hybrid arrangement, so 60% of your time can be working from home and the remaining 40% needs to be from the office. In my experience, managers are very flexible surrounding this though.

Thank you so much , this is really helpful . I appreciate you giving the information , regards .
Thank you so much , this is really helpful . I appreciate you giving the information , regards .

Also can I request for only morning interviews ?
Original post by Medicman74

How many people were there in your team and is it true that it's like a call centre, with targets to hit?
Original post by Gippa
question @deepghotra1234 or anyone if possible. Im currently in the process of applying for Asylum Decision maker and i am onto the video sift and then have an online assessment and was wondering if you can give me some insight into some questions you were asked or what the online assessment (written and roleplay) is about if possible?

Hi, I’ve got my interview on Thursday ? Which way is the interview structured and what questions were they asking? Thanks
Also can I request for only morning interviews ?

I'm in the same situation.
When do you start?
Hi. Can you give me a run down of what a typical day for an asylum DM looks like. And are the asylum interviews mandatory? As if heard they are not. Thank you
All you need to know is the job will be sold to you as interesting which it is but the training is nowhere near adequate and the targets are unrealistic and they struggle to keep their staff. Even with the incentive of extra pay. Hardly anyone gets the retainer t payment because they can’t hit the stupid targets. As for the interviews I’m not sure
Original post by Loveslife
All you need to know is the job will be sold to you as interesting which it is but the training is nowhere near adequate and the targets are unrealistic and they struggle to keep their staff. Even with the incentive of extra pay. Hardly anyone gets the retainer t payment because they can’t hit the stupid targets. As for the interviews I’m not sure

Yeah the jobs hell, no two ways about it…

No matter what the people say who’ve been in the job between 1-7 months (honeymoon phase). Ask them again a year later. Highest turnover job in the whole of the Civil Service for a reason…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending