The Student Room Group

What to do about an unresponsive employer?

I had an online interview a few weeks ago on a Wednesday. At the end of the interview they said that they would be recommending me for the next stage interview and that they would let me know the outcome on Friday. Friday came and went with no update, so I emailed them on Monday and later they emailed back saying that she had meant next Friday. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt on this as I thought it was probably just a misunderstanding. Again, Friday came and went with nothing from them. Yesterday I emailed them again and they said that they would be having a phone call in the afternoon and would get back to me after the phone call. Once again, I didn't get a response. I am starting to get really frustrated by this as I feel like I'm just being strung along. I would email them again, but I feel at this point it would just feel like I'm nagging them. I'd ignore them and move on if I had other interview offers, but since July when I finished my degree I've probably applied for about 200 jobs and have only had about 5 interviews. Any suggestions about what could be happening and what I should do?
Reply 1
It's really annoying when people don't do what they say they'll do but try not to take it personally. You feel strung along sure but that doesn't necssarily mean that you are being strung along. The person dealing with you might be inundated and may be unable to make a decision about you (and others) for reasons unknown. I would send another very polite email asking if a decision has been made regarding your possible job offer. Don't remind them that you have emailed before, just reiterate that you are still interested in working for them and hopeful that there will be a positive outcome soon. If you do end up working there, this is an indicator of the poor communication within the company, so something to bear in mind.
Original post by RossM7
I had an online interview a few weeks ago on a Wednesday. At the end of the interview they said that they would be recommending me for the next stage interview and that they would let me know the outcome on Friday. Friday came and went with no update, so I emailed them on Monday and later they emailed back saying that she had meant next Friday. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt on this as I thought it was probably just a misunderstanding. Again, Friday came and went with nothing from them. Yesterday I emailed them again and they said that they would be having a phone call in the afternoon and would get back to me after the phone call. Once again, I didn't get a response. I am starting to get really frustrated by this as I feel like I'm just being strung along. I would email them again, but I feel at this point it would just feel like I'm nagging them. I'd ignore them and move on if I had other interview offers, but since July when I finished my degree I've probably applied for about 200 jobs and have only had about 5 interviews. Any suggestions about what could be happening and what I should do?

Id email them one last time.
Dont remind them that you have emailed them before, it may sound impatient. But just politely enquire if a decision has been made regarding a possible job offer/taking things to the next stage of the recruitment process. Then leave it at that.
It is infuriating when employers dont get back to you when they say they are going to. I get that things happen/come up and all that but it doesnt take much for them to just send a quick email just to explain that there has been a delay in the recruitment process, you will hear back by x,y or z date. Its the same if you dont get the job, it doesnt take much for them to just send an email saying you werent successful.
If you do get anywhere with the job, just bear in mind that the communication during the recruitment process wasnt the best (it may have been a one off but you never know).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending