The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

with my offer, Edinburgh sent me a threatening letter telling me that if I was sissy to bugger off and leave them alone, as they didn't want any bleeding hearts or animal liberationists on their course, and if I couldn't cope with slaughterhouses I should stay at home a write poetry. Or something along those lines... :rolleyes:
Reply 21
lol yes i got that too! thought it was quite funny. obv they've had problems in the past
platinumki
with my offer, Edinburgh sent me a threatening letter telling me that if I was sissy to bugger off and leave them alone, as they didn't want any bleeding hearts or animal liberationists on their course, and if I couldn't cope with slaughterhouses I should stay at home a write poetry. Or something along those lines... :rolleyes:

LOL I remember getting something like that from them last year too! haha!
aw... you clearly had more fun than me. My vet was Italian, spoke very little English :confused: (but did wear a snood - hairnet for moustache) and told me to go home after two hours because "all there was a'left to do was'a paperwork."

I'm sorry. That was incredibly offensive. Please, Italy, forgive me. :p:
Reply 24
Lol mine was dutch...anyone else seeing pattern here?! i spoke bout that in one of my interviews how most uk vet graduates seem unwilling to go work in abattoirs as the dutch vet there was telling me bout it. then i went on to tell them i wouldnt want to work in one!
sounds about right... it's not really worth all the effort to become a meat inspector, is it?
well, you can stay we me that summer and we'll play with dead animals together - Scotland does seem to have loads of slaughterhouses :smile:
Reply 27
lessthanthree
You can get your student loan paid off in like..one summer apparently.

It's worth just [apparently] nipping up to scotland [I don't know why - this guy just told me scotland] getting licenced, then spending your summer doing it - earning a crapload of cash for student loan payoff, then high-tailing it back to practice :p:

Now that sounds like a good plan :biggrin:
flower_87
Lol mine was dutch...anyone else seeing pattern here?!

The reason that there are so many foreign vets in the meat industry is that they have too many vet schools producing too many vets and that means the salary, benefits etc that a vet recieve (in Spain etc) are lower than here in the UK. The UK has just the right number of vets at the moment, and thats why I'm very unhappy about Nottingham opening a New Vet school! Soon some of us will be forced to work in slaughterhouses in god knows where.
Reply 29
voodooshaman
The reason that there are so many foreign vets in the meat industry is that they have too many vet schools producing too many vets and that means the salary, benefits etc that a vet recieve (in Spain etc) are lower than here in the UK. The UK has just the right number of vets at the moment, and thats why I'm very unhappy about Nottingham opening a New Vet school! Soon some of us will be forced to work in slaughterhouses in god knows where.

Are you a current vet student or a 2005 entrant?
Which vet school are you in or going to?
Ridgeback
Are you a current vet student or a 2005 entrant?
Which vet school are you in or going to?

Im a first year at Glasgow, but I'd feel the same if i was applying this year, even if it meant reduced chances of a place on a vet med course
Reply 31
voodooshaman
Im a first year at Glasgow, but I'd feel the same if i was applying this year, even if it meant reduced chances of a place on a vet med course

Ohh a Glasgow first year, you could probably answer a few questions for me.
I am almost set on putting Glasgow as first choice, however I heard rumours that Glasgow is very much large animal orientated, have you found this to be true? At the minute I am tending towards the small animal side, and I know every Vet School has to teach the same basics but I was slightly worried by the comments.
Any advice is appreciated.
Hawk
Ohh a Glasgow first year, you could probably answer a few questions for me.
I am almost set on putting Glasgow as first choice, however I heard rumours that Glasgow is very much large animal orientated, have you found this to be true? At the minute I am tending towards the small animal side, and I know every Vet School has to teach the same basics but I was slightly worried by the comments.
Any advice is appreciated.

first of all ive gotta say i cant really compare as obviously ive only been at Glasgow. We've not really done any practical work with small animals (unless you count cutting them up lol) there is compulsary "kennel duty" where u need to walk the small animal hospital greyhounds and feed/clean them out kind of thing.
however i think that in most of the schools you wont get to work with SAs much untill your clinical years. and like you say the school has to train you to be competant in both large and small work.
don't worry about having a preference, it'll probably disapear when you get here - i used to want to do small animal but now i want to do mixed or maybe only large.
'Mon the sheep
Reply 33
Yeah, work experience in an abattoir is definitely a good thing - they love it! Yes, there will be blood and everything but you'll get used to it after a while.

I spent a day in an abattoir before I applied to vet school and I learnt loads about food hygiene and stuff. I was just observing but I don't think you can do anything else apart from watching anyway... I got asked about the experience in 3 out of my 4 interviews and basically I told them what I saw and how that was related to the welfare of farm animals, food safety and public health, and stuff like that.

I did have difficulty looking for a place that would take me in the first place (some places won't take you if you are not a vet student yet) but in the end I did find one. Here are the details:
Sturminster Newton Abattoir (licence no: P2140)
Manston Road, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, DT10 1BQ.
Tel: 01258 472227 Fax: 01258 473581
They do bits of everything: beef, lamb and pork so you'll surely have loads to watch out for! I went there 2 years ago so I don't know if anything has changed, but it's worth trying to give them a call I guess...
Reply 34
voodooshaman
first of all ive gotta say i cant really compare as obviously ive only been at Glasgow. We've not really done any practical work with small animals (unless you count cutting them up lol) there is compulsary "kennel duty" where u need to walk the small animal hospital greyhounds and feed/clean them out kind of thing.
however i think that in most of the schools you wont get to work with SAs much untill your clinical years. and like you say the school has to train you to be competant in both large and small work.
don't worry about having a preference, it'll probably disapear when you get here - i used to want to do small animal but now i want to do mixed or maybe only large.
'Mon the sheep

I'm an Edinburgh first year and I haven't done anything with small animals yet either (yeah apart from cutting them up XD)... We've had one practical with rodents so far (and apparently the only practical ever with those small furry things!), and we are doing cats and dogs next year... Really don't know anything about the other places...
ChocoVet
I'm an Edinburgh first year and I haven't done anything with small animals yet either (yeah apart from cutting them up XD)... We've had one practical with rodents so far (and apparently the only practical ever with those small furry things!), and we are doing cats and dogs next year... Really don't know anything about the other places...

Just to give an idea of the animal contact at Bristol, we have animal handling sessions every Thursday afternoon in first year. We've done cows, sheep, horses, cats, dogs, numerous small furries, lamb castration and tailing, calves, pigs and goats. We also have one week compulsory handling training, where you have to work in the animal barn in Bristol (ie not at Langford) and handle the horse, cow, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, hamsters, rats, gerbils, budgies, pigeons, chickens, ferrets, chinchillas, dog, cat and snakes. We have quite a few animals hidden away in the centre of Bristol! Then you have an assessment to make sure you can handle and sex small furries.

I guess you guys who haven't done much handling don't have animal based vivas in your end of year exams?
Reply 36
Vet In Progress
Just to give an idea of the animal contact at Bristol, we have animal handling sessions every Thursday afternoon in first year. We've done cows, sheep, horses, cats, dogs, numerous small furries, lamb castration and tailing, calves, pigs and goats. We also have one week compulsory handling training, where you have to work in the animal barn in Bristol (ie not at Langford) and handle the horse, cow, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, hamsters, rats, gerbils, budgies, pigeons, chickens, ferrets, chinchillas, dog, cat and snakes. We have quite a few animals hidden away in the centre of Bristol! Then you have an assessment to make sure you can handle and sex small furries.

I guess you guys who haven't done much handling don't have animal based vivas in your end of year exams?

WOW, that's really good! That means you guys get loads of experience then...
In Edinburgh we've got animal handling sessions every Tuesday / Thursday. This year (first year) we've done cows, sheep and horses, and we've had one session on pigs. We've also spent an afternoon with reptiles and rodents. We are doing cats and dogs (and some other stuff I think, not sure what) next year. Then at the end of 2nd year we get a series of practical exams on handling the different species (catching, restraining and sexing), in which we'll also get asked questions on their husbandry requirements. So we don't really get as much practice as you guys at Bristol, which makes the practical exams that bit more scary! But we are not having them until next year so I'm going to worry about this year's exams first! One thing at a time!

Latest

Trending

Trending