Accounting and finance degree personal statement example (1c) international applicant

As Confucius said: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” This quote made me realise the importance of choosing the right profession and what impact this choice would have on my life.

I developed an interest in the field of accounting through my exposure to it at school. We have analysed and interpreted financial statements of various companies like: Cashbuild and Enron. This has given me the opportunity to explore the basics of bookkeeping and to see how organisations function, within the corporate world. What is fascinating about accounting as a profession is that it is multi-faceted and one can easily move into fields linked to it namely: banking, taxation, insurance and auditing. It is also very interesting how one cannot only use accounting rules to control and drive systems within an organisation but also to steer companies out of an economic crisis. Therefore, I look forward to being part of this dynamic field of study and ensuring that the company I work for in the future is on the correct path towards financial stability and security.

I have participated in various accounting workshops and I have work experience in accounting firms like PriceWaterhouseCoopers and Grant Thornton. These two accounting firms are very different as PwC works with big companies, while Grant Thornton works with smaller organisations. Working in these two environments gave me the opportunity to realise what auditing is all about and what the profession entails as well as what is expected of me as a member of the profession. My exposure to that has also given me the opportunity to strengthen my public speaking and communication skills.

I moved to South Africa, from Greece, 5 years ago, which was a big change for me, not only culturally but also on a personal level. However, I adapted quickly to the new environment and got used to the new way of life. South Africa is a country with a variety of races and through my attendance at a multi-cultural school, I have learned to be open-minded and interact successfully with people of all races and cultures. I am an optimistic, passionate and hard working person, and this has always motivated me to always finish what I start, regardless of what happens. One of my strengths is my determination to succeed and I am very task-orientated. I pride myself on my organisational skills and am confident that my choice of study, on a tertiary level, is well-suited to my strengths.

I was awarded Honours in my school and I helped in my school’s library as well as the organisation of the school’s Dance Show. In addition, I have obtained the B1 Delf Exam in French. Outside of academic pursuits, I have played the piano since the age of 7. I have passed various exams including Grade 7 Royal School Piano Exam and the Grade 6 Royal School Theory Exam. I have participated in Concerto Festivals where I performed with the accompaniment of the University of Pretoria Orchestra. In addition, I have joined an organisation called “Hand in Hand” which organises outings to orphanages, shelter homes and hospitals. I thoroughly enjoy assisting members of the community that are less fortunate than myself and have a passion for children, helping them in areas where there is a need. I am computer literate (Microsoft – all programmes) and I also enjoy horse riding and playing tennis with friends as these activities help me relax, especially during the exam period.

I have chosen to study in the UK for the following three reasons. Firstly, in my opinion, the UK has the best universities in the world and being accepted in one of these universities will help me realise my dream of becoming an Accountant. Secondly, studying in UK will open many doors in my career and I will be able to work there and therefore gain valuable experience. The third reason is that I love meeting new people and discovering new things, hence I believe that studying in UK will make me a more open-minded and motivated individual.