The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2024 Thread

Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for University of Cambridge's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact University of Cambridge directly.

FAQs

Answered by @threeportdrift, @Ethelreda, and @Sandtrooper.

General

Spoiler

Colleges

Spoiler

Funding

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandtrooper
Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Please feel free to fill in the applicant spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KaoX83_VEytX_RpkY1fbgbnrOoPdaykwXLYKx9bMIGg/edit#gid=0

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for University of Cambridge's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact University of Cambridge directly.

FAQs

Answered by @threeportdrift, @Ethelreda, and @Sandtrooper.

General

Spoiler

Colleges

Spoiler

Funding

Spoiler

PRSOM. Thanks, Sandtrooper!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I understand the thinking, but are we sure the old thread needed closing while it's still very active with people incoming this year and their questions?

Agreed. Can't they both run concurrently until term starts? Seems like there were a good few questions still waiting to be answered, and probably that people will have more as they make final preparations for moving.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I understand the thinking, but are we sure the old thread needed closing while it's still very active with people incoming this year and their questions?

Reopened, just want to make sure the discussion doesn't overlap too much.

Original post by Anonymous
Agreed. Can't they both run concurrently until term starts? Seems like there were a good few questions still waiting to be answered, and probably that people will have more as they make final preparations for moving.

Reopened, but will probably close it in the near future so things don't get too confusing.
Reply 4
For anybody interested in applying for Gates Cambridge, I HIGHLY recommend that you at least make an attempt - it can't hurt! They just upped the stipend so it's full tuition + £20k/yr. For that matter, apply for all of the funding you possibly can. More than anything else, funding is a numbers game.
Reply 5
Thanks @Sandtrooper!

Prospective course: MPhil Classics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class Honours (Hons GPA 8.3/9)
Nationality: New Zealand
Current (or last) university: University of Otago
Current (or last) course: BA (Hons) in Classics (It's a separate degree from a BA here :smile:)
College preferences: St Johns and Jesus
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Cincinnati, and UBC
(edited 3 months ago)
All I want to say for STEM student is, pay attention to the ATAS research summary on your offer, because it can eliminate all you have (your offer, your funding, and your hope) just before the start date of your course.
Reply 7
Are open applications common among postgrads? Does it make any difference in the application process? I've looked through various college's websites, and can't find one that particularly stands out to me. I'm wondering if making an open application would be the best route, as I don't really mind which college.
Original post by Pameytilla
Are open applications common among postgrads? Does it make any difference in the application process? I've looked through various college's websites, and can't find one that particularly stands out to me. I'm wondering if making an open application would be the best route, as I don't really mind which college.

Watching TSR over the years I'd say most open applicants which they had expressed a preference. You will almost certainly get Wolfson or Hughes (or Murray Edwards if female), if you don't make a choice. There's no damage done in picking your favourite scarf colour, or favourite architecture, or closest to your faculty, rather than leaving it to the whim of statistics (you'll be allocated the College with the fewest applications for your subject).
Original post by JadeEG
Thanks @Sandtrooper!

Prospective course: MPhil Classics
Achieved (or expected) grade: Expected First Class Honours (Hons GPA 8.5/9)
Nationality: New Zealand
Current (or last) university: University of Otago
Current (or last) course: BA (Hons) in Classics (It's a separate degree from a BA here :smile:)
College preferences: St Johns and Gonville and Caius
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Edinburgh, Uppsala, Leiden, maybe UBC?

Good luck.

Please don't. Pick some colleges. If you are ever in doubt, stick with Selwyn.
Reply 11

You might not have one that you like, but do you have any that you definitely don't like? With an open application you run the risk of being put in one of those.

I can't say I chose my college because I thought "wow that's the only one for me". But there were quite a few which I was certain I wouldn't like, so I had to make a choice.

Colleges are certainly less important at PG level, but there are important variations which are worth considering. Some have more funding opportunities, either generally or for specific subjects. Some guarantee PG accommodation, either for all students or just for incoming students who haven't previously been at Cambridge - but many don't, so you may have to rent privately. Also think about how things like the college's proximity to your faculty, quality of food, number of summer tourists etc will affect you.

Google the Cambridge Alternative Prospectus - it's a great resource, written by students, and really useful for those judging colleges against those criteria.
Original post by fedora34
You might not have one that you like, but do you have any that you definitely don't like? With an open application you run the risk of being put in one of those.

I can't say I chose my college because I thought "wow that's the only one for me". But there were quite a few which I was certain I wouldn't like, so I had to make a choice.

Colleges are certainly less important at PG level, but there are important variations which are worth considering. Some have more funding opportunities, either generally or for specific subjects. Some guarantee PG accommodation, either for all students or just for incoming students who haven't previously been at Cambridge - but many don't, so you may have to rent privately. Also think about how things like the college's proximity to your faculty, quality of food, number of summer tourists etc will affect you.

Google the Cambridge Alternative Prospectus - it's a great resource, written by students, and really useful for those judging colleges against those criteria.

Ok, got it, that's an emphatic no! Thank you, I'm hopefully going to be visiting next week (and have a tour booked at Clare) so maybe that will help.
Reply 13
Prospective course: Part III (pure Mathematics)
Achieved (or expected) grade: Second Year 84.3, First Year 81.04
Nationality: Chinese
Current (or last) university: Oxford
Current (or last) course: Mathematics
College preferences: Trinity, St John's
Other universities you’re applying to: I think we are automatically enrolled in Oxford part C after third year if grade is above 60 (?) but we can choose not to proceed.

Just submitted the application and praying. Is anyone else also interested in Part III? :smile:
Original post by wdjbhd
Other universities you’re applying to: I think we are automatically enrolled in Oxford part C after third year if grade is above 60 (?) but we can choose not to proceed.

Just submitted the application and praying. Is anyone else also interested in Part III? :smile:

Good luck
Reply 15
Original post by wdjbhd

Hey, I'm also interested in applying to Part III!
Reply 16
Prospective course: MASt Pure Mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: Loughborough University
Current (or last) course: BSc Mathematics
College preferences: Darwin
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Warwick
Prospective course: MPhil Political Thought and Intellectual History
Achieved (or expected) grade: summa *** laude (GPA 3.93/4.0)
Nationality: American
Current (or last) university: Boston College
Current (or last) course: BA History and Political Science
College preferences: King's, Peterhouse
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, King's College London
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi all,

Friendly reminder that you should select your college preferences carefully. Consider the popularity of the college, availability of funding, accommodation availability and your interest.

Don't simply apply to the Big 3 (Trinity, King’s and St John’s) because you only know them. There are other choices like Pembroke, Selwyn, Jesus, Emmanuel etc that are also excellent options.

Good luck
Reply 19
Original post by Super73
Prospective course: MASt Pure Mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: Loughborough University
Current (or last) course: BSc Mathematics
College preferences: Darwin
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Warwick

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply