The Student Room Group

The 2012 HAT thread

D-Day is approaching,How is everyone preparing?
I've done one past paper so far and I only got 60%. Are there any online resources or books I can use to improve? Or is bashing the past papers the most effective way to revise?
I've no idea what I'm going to write for the essay question, should I try to write some pre-prepared answers to memorize for the exam.
Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What makes you think you got 60%, did a teacher mark it? If so, he/she is unlikely to be accurate enough to rely on, for a number of reasons. btw it's a mark that would prob'ly have been enough to get you to the interview stage in previous years.

The HAT is meant to test potential rather than knowledge, so there's not much to be done in the way of revision. Prepared answers will be no help, because the essay question will be carefully tied to the first extract in some way. But it's a good idea to have a general topic up your sleeve that is adaptable to almost any scenario (Russian Revolution, Nazi Germany, or summat), just in case your mind goes blank trying to think of a good historical example. Test this 'emergency topic' by looking at past papers and imagining how you would answer q1c using it.

In general, yes you can't really do better than timing yourself on past papers. Remember that q2 is more important than q1c this year though.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I have to take the HAT on *Wednesday and more than my actual ability to preform in the test, I know I'll be placing so much pressure on myself--as screwing up would mean not getting an interview--that my main issue will be serious anxiety about it. I tend to do worse in exams the more worried I am about them, especially with history as its my intended degree subject so I place more importance and get more freaked out. So does anyone who's sat the paper have advice for how they managed to approach it calmly and carefully and still have time to finish everything? Only 40min to read/think/plan for ALL the questions combined doesn't seem like enough and it'll be hard to preform well under so much pressure and fear. Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Wednesday week surely? Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by whatsnext
I have to take the HAT on *Wednesday and more than my actual ability to preform in the test, I know I'll be placing so much pressure on myself...So does anyone who's sat the paper have advice for how they managed to approach it calmly and carefully and still have time to finish everything? Only 40min to read/think/plan for ALL the questions combined doesn't seem like enough and it'll be hard to preform well under so much pressure and fear. Thank you!

Hi, usually one of my main problems in exams is time pressure, but the HAT wasn't too bad at all in that respect. They are trying to test potential, so have structured it in order that this can be demonstrated by able candidates. This includes allowing enough time for full answers.

The key,imho, is first to carefully work out your timings for each of the four questions before hand, and try to stick to them. This is especially important now that q2 is worth 40 marks rather than 30; you don't want to end up leaving yourself insufficient time to have a good crack at it. Second, the question 1 extract is always difficult to follow and it is easy to get hypnotised by it and 'freeze'. So I scribbled out any particularly complex sentences (ie. containing double negatives or strings of fiendish vocabularly) 'translated' into my own simple words. This did take up valuable time, but paid dividends in terms of properly understanding the passage.

Oh, and third would be not to lose too much time thinking about your q1c essay topic. As I've mentioned elsewhere, go through the past papers with an 'emergency topic' in mind, in case you can't think of a perfect historical example in the heat of the exam. Can you make aspects of your 'emergency topic' fit most of the past paper q1c's?

In summary I don't think you need to be too worried about time pressures as long as you plan your timings and avoid 'freezing'.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shoshin
What makes you think you got 60%, did a teacher mark it? If so, he/she is unlikely to be accurate enough to rely on, for a number of reasons. btw it's a mark that would prob'ly have been enough to get you to the interview stage in previous years.

The HAT is meant to test potential rather than knowledge, so there's not much to be done in the way of revision. Prepared answers will be no help, because the essay question will be carefully tied to the first extract in some way. But it's a good idea to have a general topic up your sleeve that is adaptable to almost any scenario (Russian Revolution, Nazi Germany, or summat), just in case your mind goes blank trying to think of a good historical example. Test this 'emergency topic' by looking at past papers and imagining how you would answer q1c using it.

In general, yes you can't really do better than timing yourself on past papers. Remember that q2 is more important than q1c this year though.

Thanks a lot! And yes my teacher marked it.
I just did another past paper and I was wondering whether it was alright to do the questions in a different order( I found it easier to do the source based questions first and then the essay), is this allowed?

Also would reading up on critical thinking or historiography not help at all in improving my Question 1?

Cheers
Reply 6
Original post by SiriusCybernetics
Thanks a lot! And yes my teacher marked it.
I just did another past paper and I was wondering whether it was alright to do the questions in a different order( I found it easier to do the source based questions first and then the essay), is this allowed?

Also would reading up on critical thinking or historiography not help at all in improving my Question 1?

Cheers

Yes, different order is no problem. Question 2 is a bit open ended tho, cos it doesn't need the intro-body-conclusion of an essay, so there's a danger that you will be tempted to keep adding bits and pieces to it, causing time problems during your essay. Whereas if you do it last, you have a definite end point for your musings! Also, don't forget that the essay is part of question 1 for a reason. While you're not expected to specifically refer back to the passage, the essay question arises from themes emerging from it. So there may be an argument against coming back to the essay having left the first passage and gone onto q.2. It is just down to personal preference tho so do it whichever way round makes you feel most comfortable and least stressed.

I wouldn't personally be spending the last week or two before the test genning up on critical thinking or historiography. I think you will already have the skills you need for the test and that timed past papers plus identification of a period of history that you feel gives you plenty of essay angles is the best way to keep occupied. I wouldn't overdo it though, it's a test that is very easy to worry too much about, because the past papers look 'orrible when you're not 'in the zone', sitting and concentrating in the exam itself. When I look at the one I did now, I can't imagine how I put pen to page - it looks much too difficult! You will be fine on the day :smile:
Reply 7
I'll be doing it on the 7th too. :frown: Literally so nervous. I reckon if I get to interview I have a genuine shot - I hate that this is inbetween. I panic hugely when I don't understand sources clearly and question one seems to be like that all the time. :P I'm a little confused with how to answer question two though - do we quote the source? Are we supposed to then talk outside of the source and make different inferences? Please help someone.
Reply 8
Original post by eelnais
I'll be doing it on the 7th too. :frown: Literally so nervous. I reckon if I get to interview I have a genuine shot - I hate that this is inbetween. I panic hugely when I don't understand sources clearly and question one seems to be like that all the time. :P I'm a little confused with how to answer question two though - do we quote the source? Are we supposed to then talk outside of the source and make different inferences? Please help someone.

Hi. Yes, you will need to refer often to the source provided. In fact, as the 2011 instructions say, 'you should not provide information from other sources'. The idea is to show that you have read the text closely, and then use it to speculate intelligently on the question you have been asked. Reading all of the past papers in conjunction with their marking schemes is the best prep imho.

Reply 9
Original post by shoshin
Hi. Yes, you will need to refer often to the source provided. In fact, as the 2011 instructions say, 'you should not provide information from other sources'. The idea is to show that you have read the text closely, and then use it to speculate intelligently on the question you have been asked. Reading all of the past papers in conjunction with their marking schemes is the best prep imho.

Thanks for this :smile: When you say speculate intelligently, can you give me an example of what you mean? This is the part I'm not quite understanding.
Reply 10
[INDENT]
Original post by eelnais
Thanks for this :smile: When you say speculate intelligently, can you give me an example of what you mean? This is the part I'm not quite understanding.

Certainly, with the proviso that my only qualification is that I sat it a couple of years ago and got an offer. So I've done one HAT and got through it, but that doesn't mean I know too much about it in general!

Do you have access to the 2010 q2, about the native American Mi'kmaq ceremony? The old woman says 'I have brought into the world warriors, great hunters, and admirable managers of canoes'. At first sight it is just a list of three tribal occupations. But you might think that the third one seems very specific and unusual. I mean, wouldn't the wigwam maker or the fire-starter be more highly revered than the chap who supervises the boats? But she seems particularly proud of giving birth to someone with this talent. So you might start to speculate that this society may have been heavily dependent on the waterways for transport and communication. She does, after all, subsequently invoke 'the river sides' as witness to the truth of her words.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by shoshin
[INDENT]

Certainly, with the proviso that my only qualification is that I sat it a couple of years ago and got an offer. So I've done one HAT and got through it, but that doesn't mean I know too much about it in general!

Do you have access to the 2010 q2, about the native American Mi'kmaq ceremony? The old woman says 'I have brought into the world warriors, great hunters, and admirable managers of canoes'. At first sight it is just a list of three tribal occupations. But you might think that the third one seems very specific and unusual. I mean, wouldn't the wigwam maker or the fire-starter be more highly revered than the chap who supervises the boats? But she seems particularly proud of giving birth to someone with this talent. So you might start to speculate that this society may have been heavily dependent on the waterways for transport and communication. She does, after all, subsequently invoke 'the river sides' as witness to the truth of her words.

Yup, printed it out literally an hour ago ready to have a go at tomorrow! Thank you very much, this has cleared it up for me. So I'm able to go beyond what the sources says with my own thoughts. And I'd use quotes here to illustrate that, like you did with 'the river sides'.

Slightly off topic, but does this mean you're at Oxford now studying History? :smile: If so, any tips for a would-be History student for the interview too? (Sorry if I'm badgering you with questions!)
Reply 12
Original post by eelnais
Yup, printed it out literally an hour ago ready to have a go at tomorrow! Thank you very much, this has cleared it up for me. So I'm able to go beyond what the sources says with my own thoughts. And I'd use quotes here to illustrate that, like you did with 'the river sides'.

Slightly off topic, but does this mean you're at Oxford now studying History? :smile: If so, any tips for a would-be History student for the interview too? (Sorry if I'm badgering you with questions!)

Yes, you need to get the basics that the text definitely supports and then think about what it might further suggest. The text always has to be involved though, you wouldn't go off at a tangent about other native American tribes you have read about, or a film you once saw about a very similar woman etc. It's as if this source is the only piece of historical evidence you have and you are tasked with making the best possible use of it. The marking scheme helps you to understand this cos it explains what they are expecting in a good answer.

I don't think it matters whether you directly 'quote' or just summarize what has been said; prob'ly a bit of both, but careful not to overdo it such that you're just rejigging what's written in the source.

In the extract we're talking about, for example, you may find that the text will get you thinking about this society's attitudes towards age, gender and religion. But don't forget (this is important!) to bear in mind the author of the passage. Does the text,or even the description of him, tell you anything about his views (either actual or likely) on some of these issues? Can you completely trust his description?

Yes, I'm at Oxford. Each college has its own quirks with interviewing and it's very difficult to give specific advice. You end up saying 'don't get too nervous', as if that is going to help :smile: But once you're through the HAT stage and get your interview, by all means post on the History thread and one of us will help; maybe even someone who is at the same college.
Reply 13
Original post by shoshin
Yes, you need to get the basics that the text definitely supports and then think about what it might further suggest. The text always has to be involved though, you wouldn't go off at a tangent about other native American tribes you have read about, or a film you once saw about a very similar woman etc. It's as if this source is the only piece of historical evidence you have and you are tasked with making the best possible use of it. The marking scheme helps you to understand this cos it explains what they are expecting in a good answer.

I don't think it matters whether you directly 'quote' or just summarize what has been said; prob'ly a bit of both, but careful not to overdo it such that you're just rejigging what's written in the source.

In the extract we're talking about, for example, you may find that the text will get you thinking about this society's attitudes towards age, gender and religion. But don't forget (this is important!) to bear in mind the author of the passage. Does the text,or even the description of him, tell you anything about his views (either actual or likely) on some of these issues? Can you completely trust his description?

Yes, I'm at Oxford. Each college has its own quirks with interviewing and it's very difficult to give specific advice. You end up saying 'don't get too nervous', as if that is going to help :smile: But once you're through the HAT stage and get your interview, by all means post on the History thread and one of us will help; maybe even someone who is at the same college.

Thanks for this. :smile: has made everything seem a lot clearer now. Really appreciate it!
Reply 14
Hi there,

I'm the only person applying from my school, and am the first to ever apply. My teachers have no clue or cannot give me guidance on what to do, so I'm not the most confident!

Can you just give me some guidance on Question 2 - how to answer it etcetera. I mean, is it based on the source, and what else do you do aside study the source?

Thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by ROSSYROO
Hi there,

I'm the only person applying from my school, and am the first to ever apply. My teachers have no clue or cannot give me guidance on what to do, so I'm not the most confident!

Can you just give me some guidance on Question 2 - how to answer it etcetera. I mean, is it based on the source, and what else do you do aside study the source?

Thank you!

I've more or less written a book on q2 in this thread, did none of it float your boat? :frown:
Reply 16
Hello all,

I'll be doing the HAT next Wednesday too and I am so scared! Did a practise yesterday but before that I had just been planning my answers. The topic I have decided to revise for question 1c is the topic I am doing this year for A2 history - Restoration, revolution and republic 1629-1667. Hoping for a good question on religion or clashes between 'ordinary people' and the political elite!

Am I right in saying that question 1c does not have to have an outstanding historical example as long as it is suitable and argued well? I did the 2009 paper yesterday and the essay was on physical environment, which for my period was quite difficult to think of an example for!

Also, would it be worth me revising one of my AS History topics, such as the Reformation just in case?? Or would this be simply too much?
Reply 17
Original post by shoshin
I've more or less written a book on q2 in this thread, did none of it float your boat? :frown:

Haha, I actually meant to post this in a different thread - having multiple tabs open I posted it in the wrong one!

You have helped me a lot, thank-you very much! I definitely have a clearer vision of what to do and how to prepare!!

Reply 18
Original post by ROSSYROO
Haha, I actually meant to post this in a different thread - having multiple tabs open I posted it in the wrong one!

You have helped me a lot, thank-you very much! I definitely have a clearer vision of what to do and how to prepare!!

No problem, best of luck :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by hollie10
Am I right in saying that question 1c does not have to have an outstanding historical example as long as it is suitable and argued well? I did the 2009 paper yesterday and the essay was on physical environment, which for my period was quite difficult to think of an example for! Also, would it be worth me revising one of my AS History topics, such as the Reformation just in case??

I would say that generally this is correct. However, as you can see from the marking scheme comments, some years they feel that it should be easier to find a well matched example than others, depending on the question set.

Do you have a modern topic that you could take a peek at, as a back up? Something very general like the Russian Revolution or the Third Reich? It appears that modern periods are sometimes easier to fit to the questions. Not that they necessarily make for better answers, so stick to your main plan. But if your mind goes blank, a modern fall back may be more likely to get you out of the jam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending