The Student Room Group

My STEP Question Thread

I am aware that there are solutions to most of the problems available here, but I would rather hints or ideas to get me going, if that is OK. I figured it was best to make one thread rather than spamming the entire forum up, so here goes:

Sketching Parametric Equations:

(1) x1=θ+sinθx_1 = \theta + sin\theta, y1=1+cosθy_1 = 1 + cos\theta
(2) x2=θsinθx_2 = \theta - sin\theta, y2=(1cosθ)y_2 = -(1-cos\theta)

I have found dx1dy1\frac{dx_1}{dy_1} and dx2dy2\frac{dx_2}{dy_2} if it helps. I am just not sure how to go about sketching these.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Idiot spells thread title wrong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My Alt
I am aware that there are solutions to most of the problems available here, but I would rather hints or ideas to get me going, if that is OK. I figured it was best to make one thread rather than spamming the entire forum up, so here goes:

Sketching Parametric Equations:

(1) x1=θ+sinθx_1 = \theta + sin\theta, y1=1+cosθy_1 = 1 + cos\theta
(2) x2=θsinθx_2 = \theta - sin\theta, y2=(1cosθ)y_2 = -(1-cos\theta)

I have found dx1dy1\frac{dx_1}{dy_1} and dx2dy2\frac{dx_2}{dy_2} if it helps. I am just not sure how to go about sketching these.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Idiot spells thread title wrong

You can edit the thread title. Go to thread tools. And The best way I can think of to sketch them is just to simply sub in some values and see what happens or try and find the Cartesian curve.
Reply 2
I did this question a while back. It's best to consider what happens when θ=0,π6,π4,π3,π2,...\theta = 0, \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{\pi}{2}, ... and go about it that way. You'll notice a pattern.
Reply 3
Hmmm, perhaps changing the thread title is a Sub only thing, as I do not seem able to do it. As for the curve, I have got a very (read VERY) rough sketch of it that i found by looking at the values of x when y=0 and the values of y when x=0 and looking at the turning points (which happen to be the same places e_e.) I do still wonder if there is a better way, however.

The problem with the cartesian equation is that you have a rogue θ\theta running about.
Reply 4
Late night STEP ^_^

The gradient y y' of a curve at a point (x, y) satisfies:

(y)2xy+y=0(y')^2 - xy' + y = 0
2yyyxy+y=02y'y'' - y' - xy'' + y' = 0
y(2yx)=0y''(2y' - x) = 0
y=0y'' = 0 or 2y=x2y' = x
y=ay' = a or y=x2y' = \frac{x}{2}
y=ax+by = ax + b or 4y=x2+d4y = x^2 + d

That is my working, however, the question says:

Hence show that the curve is either a straight line of the form y=mx+cy = mx + c (check), where c = -m^2 =( (This is the bit that I can't do)or the parabola 4y=x2 4y = x^2 (how do I get rid of the d?)
Reply 5
To get rid of d, consider what happens when x = 0.
In both case, substitute your sulotions and their derivatives into the original differential equation.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot hash, that worked simply, and thanks for your help again. As for your solution DFranklin I cannot seem to compute what happens when x=0 at this point in time. I've got 6 weeks to build up experience for these exams lol. Thanks again for your help =)
Reply 8
OK, last one, I promise!

The gradient yy' of a curve at a point (x,y) satisfies:

(x21)(y)22xyy+y21=0(x^2 - 1)(y')^2 - 2xyy' + y^2 - 1 = 0

So I used the same method. I need to find that the curve is either a straight line of a form which I should specify, or a circle, the equation of which I should determine, so:

(x21)2yy2xyy=0(x^2-1)2y'y'' - 2xyy'' = 0
2y((x21)yxy)=02y''((x^2-1)y' - xy) = 0

y=0 y'' = 0
y=cx+dy = cx + d

By subbing back into the original formula I found that d2c2=1d^2 - c^2 = 1 that is all I could gather:

y=xyx21y' = -\frac{xy}{x^2-1}
1yy=xx21 \frac{1}{y} y' = -\frac{x}{x^2-1}
lny=ln((x21))+f lny = -ln(\sqrt(x^2-1)) + f
y(x21)=F y\sqrt(x^2-1) = F
y2=Fx21 y^2 = \frac{F}{x^2-1}

this is not a circle =( I have tried twice and have got different answers out each time. Both were in the form [latex]y=f(\frac{A}{x^2-1}) so I assume there is something wrong with my method. Where am I going wrong?
You're differentiating the initial equation wrongly - you're treating variables (i.e the x21x^2 - 1 as constants.
Reply 10
I thought I applied the chain rule correctly all the way through. There are some terms which cancelled out which I did not include in the equation that I posted here. I will address the question again tomorrow, and if I am still reaching the same conclusions I will post back here, with my full differentiation. Thanks.
Ah, sorry. What you've done is correct, but you've made a sign error - you should be solving dydx=xyx21 \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{xy}{x^2 - 1} .
Reply 12
Oh, haha. That makes thing a load easier, thankyou!
when you solve the above you should not get the equation of a circle.
DeanK22
when you solve the above you should not get the equation of a circle.

I'm guessing the arbitrary constant changes the sign though.
Hashshashin
I'm guessing the arbitrary constant changes the sign though.

Not really. That DE is variable seperable and can be done in your head so to avoid further speculation I am going to write things down [although looking at it you should get something of the form

y2C2x2=C2 y^2 - C^2x^2 = -C^2

edit - which will be a hyperbola
DeanK22
Not really. That DE is variable seperable and can be done in your head so to avoid further speculation I am going to write things down [although looking at it you should get something of the form

y2C2x2=C2 y^2 - C^2x^2 = -C^2

How about x2By2=1 x^2 - By^2 = 1 ?
Hashshashin
How about x2By2=1 x^2 - By^2 = 1 ?

erm, yeah but that isn't a circle. (although B > 0 should be specified for obvious reasons - i.e. you want a hyperbola, not an ellipse).
DeanK22
erm, yeah but that isn't a circle. (although B > 0 should be specified for obvious reasons - i.e. you want a hyperbola, not an ellipse).

Yes but I was presuming that substituting into the differential equation gives b = -1. I should probably check though.
Hashshashin
Yes but I was presuming that substituting into the differential equation gives b = -1. I should probably check though.

??

Feel free to start using functions of complex variables but considering it isn't actually in any syllabi in sixth form it would be a waste of your time (though in an exam may look good to the examiner).

ln(y)=lnx21+C[br][br]y=Ax21,AR[br][br] ln(y) = ln\sqrt{x^2-1} + C[br][br]y = A\sqrt{x^2-1} , A \in \mathbb{R}[br][br]

Squaring

y2Ax2=A2[br][br]x2y2A2=1 y^2 - Ax^2 = -A^2 [br][br]x^2 - \frac{y^2}{A^2} = 1

x2By2=1  BR,B>0 x^2 - By^2 = 1 \; B \in \mathbb{R} , B > 0

Latest