The Student Room Group

EPQ question ideas

Hello ! I’m in year 12 and pursuing medicine . Initially I thought EPQs were not beneficial for medicine ,veterinarian science and dentistry however I learnt through more research that it can be.
So I just needed a question relating to medical surgery .
So I came up with this idea:
Artefact: a 3D medical model of anatomical representation of internal organs in the medical world. (Which can be removed and studied)
Question(+ 1000 word ) : “How do these models aid in medical education, surgical training, and patient understanding, and what advancements can be made in refining these models for enhanced accuracy and educational efficacy?"

I’m not sure if this is a good idea so it would be great if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by thedyslexickid
Hello ! I’m in year 12 and pursuing medicine . Initially I thought EPQs were not beneficial for medicine ,veterinarian science and dentistry however I learnt through more research that it can be.
So I just needed a question relating to medical surgery .
So I came up with this idea:
Artefact: a 3D medical model of anatomical representation of internal organs in the medical world. (Which can be removed and studied)
Question(+ 1000 word ) : “How do these models aid in medical education, surgical training, and patient understanding, and what advancements can be made in refining these models for enhanced accuracy and educational efficacy?"

I’m not sure if this is a good idea so it would be great if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions. :smile:

Hi
I wanted to ask what you find beneficial about doing an EPQ as i am under the impression they aren't that useful.
Original post by ricky joe
Hi
I wanted to ask what you find beneficial about doing an EPQ as i am under the impression they aren't that useful.

If you have time and capacity they can be useful as some med schools will give alternate (and sometimes slightly reduced) offers if you have an A at EPQ. If you cannot commit to get an A then you may find your time better served focusing on your A levels, although research can be handy to talk about in your PS or may give you good reflection for interview.

OP, the point about grades stands. If you can find the marking schemes (if they exist) for EPQs I would have a look at that and see what gets the points for a high grade. Can you get those components out of your question/research. A good example of this might be, do they give high marks to primary or secondary research and statistical analysis? How would you fit that with your question?

I didn't do one so don't know, but sometimes it's good to think about something from both ends !
Original post by circusqueen
If you have time and capacity they can be useful as some med schools will give alternate (and sometimes slightly reduced) offers if you have an A at EPQ. If you cannot commit to get an A then you may find your time better served focusing on your A levels, although research can be handy to talk about in your PS or may give you good reflection for interview.

OP, the point about grades stands. If you can find the marking schemes (if they exist) for EPQs I would have a look at that and see what gets the points for a high grade. Can you get those components out of your question/research. A good example of this might be, do they give high marks to primary or secondary research and statistical analysis? How would you fit that with your question?

I didn't do one so don't know, but sometimes it's good to think about something from both ends !

Hi,
Can I ask what medical schools those are?
I only know one that does that and if you dont mind me asking are you a medical student.
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Hi,
Can I ask what medical schools those are?
I only know one that does that and if you dont mind me asking are you a medical student.

It's worth looking at the entry requirements of them all as quite a few will give extra flexibility if you have an EPQ at A/A*. They are not supposed to ask for more than 3 A levels so some get around it by looking for "extra commitment" or give flexibility by an EPQ. The flex on grade is usually on any non-specified subject though. It should be in their entry requirements but sometimes you have to look at their admissions policies for the details.

It's a useful flex to have in my view, but only if you have capacity AND if you will hit the grades necessary. If not it could just eat up your time and not be of any help and you would be better off focusing on A levels.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi

Very few university for medicine might offer a lower a-level grades if you have an A in your EPQ eg. Keele university school of medicine offer A**AA or AAA + EPQ with an A* /A . Another reason to do an EPQ is that it’s great for interviews and your personal statement as it shows you passion, dedication and interest in medicine however it does take up a lot of time and effort and is not the most recognised/important thing for your application . It acts more as a supercurricular in that point of view.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi

Very few university for medicine might offer a lower a-level grades if you have an A in your EPQ eg. Keele university school of medicine offer A**AA or AAA + EPQ with an A
* /A . Another reason to do an EPQ is that it’s great for interviews and your personal statement as it shows you passion, dedication and interest in medicine however it does take up a lot of time and effort and is not the most recognised/important thing for your application . It acts more as a supercurricular in that point of view.

Yeah I did an epq for computer science and loved it a lot more than my actual a levels so it served to be a really good supercurricular for my personal statement. Achieved an a* so I got the reduced offer for 2 of my unis
Original post by shadowblades
Very few university for medicine might offer a lower a-level grades if you have an A in your EPQ eg. Keele university school of medicine offer A**AA or AAA + EPQ with an A
* /A . Another reason to do an EPQ is that it’s great for interviews and your personal statement as it shows you passion, dedication and interest in medicine however it does take up a lot of time and effort and is not the most recognised/important thing for your application . It acts more as a supercurricular in that point of view.

Yeah I did an epq for computer science and loved it a lot more than my actual a levels so it served to be a really good supercurricular for my personal statement. Achieved an a* so I got the reduced offer for 2 of my unis
Congrats! 🥳 What are you doing now ?I did computer science for GCSE and it was my favourite subject at the time :smile: I kinda regret not taking it for a 4th A-level.

Congrats! 🥳 What are you doing now ?I did computer science for GCSE and it was my favourite subject at the time :smile: I kinda regret not taking it for a 4th A-level.

Thanks! I'm doing physics maths and comp sci but yeah I mean it's only useful if you're doing comp sci at uni otherwise no point. For medicine the combo is maths bio and chem I think so yeah you will be fine anyway

Thanks! I'm doing physics maths and comp sci but yeah I mean it's only useful if you're doing comp sci at uni otherwise no point. For medicine the combo is maths bio and chem I think so yeah you will be fine anyway
Nice, my initial idea in yr 11 was phy, maths and computer science (for engineering) but after my GCSEs I changed my mind as I got a 6,8and 6 although I was predicted 8,8,8 and my school requires a 7 or above for you to take physics for alevel.Also the computer science OCR paper was horrid so I changed my mind to Bio,chem and maths as my options were limited.
(edited 5 months ago)

Nice, my initial idea in yr 11 was phy, maths and computer science (for engineering) but after my GCSEs I changed my mind as I got a 6,8and 6 although I was predicted 8,8,8 and my school requires a 7 or above for you to take physics for alevel.Also the computer science OCR paper was horrid so I changed my mind to Bio,chem and maths as my options were limited.

😭 probably shouldnt have based your opinion of comp sci on one paper but oh well. Yeah that's tough your school requires a 7. Tbf mh school requires 8s but yeah I reckon if you like begged them they would let you. Honestly especially with medicine asw cuz unless your really and I mean really passionate about it then your gonna struggle through uni and thorough work cuz it's tough for not a lot of pay until you become old or go private. So yesh hopefully you do have a passion and you didn't just pick it because of GCSE results as trust me some people just don't do well in their GCSEs but smash a levels
Reply 12

What universities gave you reduced offers?? I applied for Computer Science for 2024 entry to Cambridge(rejection), Imperial (offer), Durham (waiting still), Edinburgh (Offer) and Manchester (Offer).

Even though the likelihood is low, I hope to get a reduced offer from Durham (My GCSEs: 9999999988 with the 8s in English Lit and RS and my A level grades (predicted): 5 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry and EPQ as it will then mean that I have an actual insurance choice rather than having to pick from 3 universities with higher conditions.

The Imperial offer is A*AAA, which isn't bad, but also comes with a STEP condition which is the worrying part.

The Durham standard offer is A*AA which I'm hoping will be reduced given that I am well above the requirements...
Original post by vnayak

What universities gave you reduced offers?? I applied for Computer Science for 2024 entry to Cambridge(rejection), Imperial (offer), Durham (waiting still), Edinburgh (Offer) and Manchester (Offer).

Even though the likelihood is low, I hope to get a reduced offer from Durham (My GCSEs: 9999999988 with the 8s in English Lit and RS and my A level grades (predicted): 5 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry and EPQ as it will then mean that I have an actual insurance choice rather than having to pick from 3 universities with higher conditions.

The Imperial offer is A*AAA, which isn't bad, but also comes with a STEP condition which is the worrying part.

The Durham standard offer is A*AA which I'm hoping will be reduced given that I am well above the requirements...

I got a reduced offer from Sheffield and Cardiff but Durham doesn't give reduced offers based on the epq so It is unlikely they will give you a reduced offer on that front. Maybe if your contextual they might lower it. It's tough because your imperial offer is great apart from step which is always a gamble but I know a mate who flopped his step 2 but still got in. Realistically tho if your predictions are accurate, you can defo get the standard Durham offer of a*aa but afaik they don't really reduce offers and they do mention that they do not make offers based on epq so unfortunately I don't think they will make a difference for your application. Good luck however and some great offers. Well done!
Reply 14

I got a reduced offer from Sheffield and Cardiff but Durham doesn't give reduced offers based on the epq so It is unlikely they will give you a reduced offer on that front. Maybe if your contextual they might lower it. It's tough because your imperial offer is great apart from step which is always a gamble but I know a mate who flopped his step 2 but still got in. Realistically tho if your predictions are accurate, you can defo get the standard Durham offer of a*aa but afaik they don't really reduce offers and they do mention that they do not make offers based on epq so unfortunately I don't think they will make a difference for your application. Good luck however and some great offers. Well done!
Ah ok...thank you for letting me know! Yes it's astonishing how many people get into Imperial without meeting the STEP requirement. I believe the figures for last year were somewhere in the region of 60% of people getting in not meeting the requirements for STEP.

Having to do two admissions tests and an interview for one institution is rather annoying because just when I think I am done with admissions tests altogether and I can focus on A levels (I did the TMUA and the Imperial test for Computing applicants, which applicants call the "MAT" but then it just gets confusing with the admissions test for Maths), I have to do another one, but if it means that it will benefit me for the future, I gotta do it...

At our interview, they test our problem solving and Maths skills in addition to some of the stuff we mentioned in our personal statement. I am envious of all of those individuals who are free from having to do any admissions tests.

Thank you for your kind words! Which university are you studying at currently?
Original post by vnayak

Ah ok...thank you for letting me know! Yes it's astonishing how many people get into Imperial without meeting the STEP requirement. I believe the figures for last year were somewhere in the region of 60% of people getting in not meeting the requirements for STEP.

Having to do two admissions tests and an interview for one institution is rather annoying because just when I think I am done with admissions tests altogether and I can focus on A levels (I did the TMUA and the Imperial test for Computing applicants, which applicants call the "MAT" but then it just gets confusing with the admissions test for Maths), I have to do another one, but if it means that it will benefit me for the future, I gotta do it...

At our interview, they test our problem solving and Maths skills in addition to some of the stuff we mentioned in our personal statement. I am envious of all of those individuals who are free from having to do any admissions tests.

yeah the admissions tests scare me as well and exactly, suffer now to reap the rewards later. interviews are tough fs, a couple of my mates had their cambridge interviews and the questions they got asked broke my brain lol. and nw man these times are tough and we're in it together.

oh im not at uni yet, i did my epq last year which is why i already got my grade. however, im most likely going to firm sheffield, as its decently high ranking, and it has the placement year which i wanted a lot and overall, i just like the vibe of the uni and accomodation etc. i want uni to feel like home and for me although i live in the south and go to a private school in surrey, sheffield just felt so nice when i visited and although there looked to be some rough areas, they were not close by to the uni so it should be fine.

im currently procrastinating my revision as well rn by making some sort of web scraper application, but anything to escape the horrors of a level physics lmao.
Reply 16

yeah the admissions tests scare me as well and exactly, suffer now to reap the rewards later. interviews are tough fs, a couple of my mates had their cambridge interviews and the questions they got asked broke my brain lol. and nw man these times are tough and we're in it together.

oh im not at uni yet, i did my epq last year which is why i already got my grade. however, im most likely going to firm sheffield, as its decently high ranking, and it has the placement year which i wanted a lot and overall, i just like the vibe of the uni and accomodation etc. i want uni to feel like home and for me although i live in the south and go to a private school in surrey, sheffield just felt so nice when i visited and although there looked to be some rough areas, they were not close by to the uni so it should be fine.

im currently procrastinating my revision as well rn by making some sort of web scraper application, but anything to escape the horrors of a level physics lmao.
Yeah, it feels like I dodged a bullet with avoiding A level Physics even though it would have made more sense with my A levels but at the same time, I took a hit myself with A level Chemistry. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's my hardest A level.

On top of that, I got my Computing NEA and my EPQ, which I am trying to finish ASAP so I can focus completely on A levels and STEP prep. I need to start A level revision. I did an A level Maths paper and found it really easy but we still got loads of stuff to cover in school which is making me worry....
Original post by vnayak

Yeah, it feels like I dodged a bullet with avoiding A level Physics even though it would have made more sense with my A levels but at the same time, I took a hit myself with A level Chemistry. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's my hardest A level.

On top of that, I got my Computing NEA and my EPQ, which I am trying to finish ASAP so I can focus completely on A levels and STEP prep. I need to start A level revision. I did an A level Maths paper and found it really easy but we still got loads of stuff to cover in school which is making me worry....
yeah trust, although i know a guy who does physics and chem and applied for computer science and he finds both of them equally horrible.

yeah the computing nea makes me wanna kms and i am spending wayyy too much time for not a lot of extra marks and hopefully i can get the main development part and documentation done by february. good luck on the epq tho, i found it fun and did it quite quickly but its different for everyone. and yeah content wise, my school is not that bad. weve done all of the computing course, and have year 2 stats and mech left of maths and 3 more topics left of edexcel physics. but i totally understand you man. it seems like were always revising or learning but its all gonna end in june and we can relax and have fun until uni. although uni isnt as stressful as a levels so it shouldnt be too bad.
Reply 18

yeah trust, although i know a guy who does physics and chem and applied for computer science and he finds both of them equally horrible.

yeah the computing nea makes me wanna kms and i am spending wayyy too much time for not a lot of extra marks and hopefully i can get the main development part and documentation done by february. good luck on the epq tho, i found it fun and did it quite quickly but its different for everyone. and yeah content wise, my school is not that bad. weve done all of the computing course, and have year 2 stats and mech left of maths and 3 more topics left of edexcel physics. but i totally understand you man. it seems like were always revising or learning but its all gonna end in june and we can relax and have fun until uni. although uni isnt as stressful as a levels so it shouldnt be too bad.
🤞🤞....Im really worried about my NEA and there is also the skeleton code to worry about. We've finished the A level Computing course. We've finished A level Maths. We have almost finished the optional modules in Further maths and there is the main pure module which we have had a few lessons on. Chemistry, we are a bit behind but we will finish quickly and I am going to put a shift in for it..

EPQ, I've almost finished. Everything is perfect barring my literature review, which I am editing and I need to deliver my presentation so I should get more free time after that.
Original post by vnayak

🤞🤞....Im really worried about my NEA and there is also the skeleton code to worry about. We've finished the A level Computing course. We've finished A level Maths. We have almost finished the optional modules in Further maths and there is the main pure module which we have had a few lessons on. Chemistry, we are a bit behind but we will finish quickly and I am going to put a shift in for it..

EPQ, I've almost finished. Everything is perfect barring my literature review, which I am editing and I need to deliver my presentation so I should get more free time after that.

Yeah that means we're both pretty much there now which is good. Just that final push.

Yeah that's great to hear asw with your EPQ and the presentation is fun too as long as your doing an interesting topic and then you will have a lot more free time fs. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending