The Student Room Group

Ask4 - DNS blocking.

I'm starting to think that my ISP, ask4, is blocking certain sites by DNS, which really bothers me.

I'm trying to view the wikileaks.org site, but the DNS always fails to resolve.
I've got no interest in actually viewing the site, and I can if I use the IP address or go to an alternative domain wikileaks.ch (which points to the same IP).

Could some one who uses ask4 verify if they can access wikileaks.org please?
Wikileaks.org is no longer being used, as the registrar dropped it I believe. They now have multiple internationally registered mirrors - famously, that .ch one - Switzerland.
Reply 2
I'm on Ask4 and wikileaks.ch works just fine. Wikileaks.org is dead, however, but has been since the DNS company pulled it.
Ah, wasn't aware they dropped the .org domain.
Just finished writing an abusive email, now who do I send it to!? :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by stop-drop-n-lol
Ah, wasn't aware they dropped the .org domain.
Just finished writing an abusive email, now who do I send it to!? :tongue:

They didnt drop it, the company that hosted the Domain name canceled it due to DDOS attacks
Original post by Kenny_uk
They didnt drop it, the company that hosted the Domain name canceled it due to DDOS attacks

Oh, ok.

But how would a DDOS attack on the server effect the DNS provider in any way? All they would notice is a small increase in people requesting the IP address.
Reply 6
Original post by stop-drop-n-lol
Oh, ok.

But how would a DDOS attack on the server effect the DNS provider in any way? All they would notice is a small increase in people requesting the IP address.

Small increase? Try a massive one, honestly, DDOS attacks can involve hundreds upon thousands of requests in a small period of time, too much for the server
Original post by Kenny_uk
Small increase? Try a massive one, honestly, DDOS attacks can involve hundreds upon thousands of requests in a small period of time, too much for the server

Your ISP and your local DNS would cache the IP address, so your ISP may request the IP address once and then anyone taking part in the DDOS would be getting requesting the IP from their ISP, or from their computers cache.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ch0llima
I'm on Ask4 and wikileaks.ch works just fine. Wikileaks.org is dead, however, but has been since the DNS company pulled it.

Do you know what happened to the IRC? Presumably the old server got pulled with the site but has a new one been set up to your knowledge?
Reply 9
Original post by ANARCHY__
Do you know what happened to the IRC? Presumably the old server got pulled with the site but has a new one been set up to your knowledge?

I haven't tried, but I guess they might have ported it over to the .ch domain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending