The Student Room Group

Where to find work experience?

I need to start thinking about work experience in the Avon/Somerset/Wiltshire areas! If anyone knows good places to go, then do suggest some... But otherwise do I just write to vet surgeries, kennels etc? The ones that are very nearby don't seem to want anybody on work experience at all, same with charities...

Leigh
Reply 1
I'm from Somerset :smile: I wrote a letter or sent an email to most of the places that I applied to for work experience and then followed it up with a phone call or visit if they didnt reply!
Original post by Moonlight*
I'm from Somerset :smile: I wrote a letter or sent an email to most of the places that I applied to for work experience and then followed it up with a phone call or visit if they didnt reply!

Sorry to hijack, but I never know what to say on follow up calls D: Any tips?
Original post by uninspirational

Say "My name is ____ and I sent in a letter recently with regards to work experience as I am a prospective vet student. I am very ____[good adjectives here]____ and I would just like to enquire if this is possible as I have not had a reply to my letter."

All I can say is KEEP TRYING! I got rejected from a number of places but in the end managed to find some that would take me. Yellow pages might be a good place to look aside from friend suggestions.
Reply 4

i find it's better to phone first and check whether they take work experience people. just literally a quick "hi, i wannabe vet and was wondering if you take work experience peeps?" :tongue:

some places will just say 'no' and you won't be wasting any more time on it. others will say 'yes' and you can arrange it there and then, or say 'yes' and ask you to write - you can then find out the name of the person you need to address your letter to. you've then written to the correct person and they're expecting to hear from you so hopefully they'll call you when they get your letter!
Original post by schizopear
i find it's better to phone first and check whether they take work experience people. just literally a quick "hi, i wannabe vet and was wondering if you take work experience peeps?" :tongue:

some places will just say 'no' and you won't be wasting any more time on it. others will say 'yes' and you can arrange it there and then, or say 'yes' and ask you to write - you can then find out the name of the person you need to address your letter to. you've then written to the correct person and they're expecting to hear from you so hopefully they'll call you when they get your letter!

That's what I'm doing, but I've heard about people making follow-up calls and was just wondering what they say (cause I have the feeling that if I call up I'll just be irritating them!)

I'm also unsure of what to do when someone actually does reply, but stops corresponding from there on... especially when they haven't left a phone number! Once somebody left me waiting for a month before actually getting back to me, telling me to turn up next week when I'd already made other arrangements D:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
That's what I'm doing, but I've heard about people making follow-up calls and was just wondering what they say (cause I have the feeling that if I call up I'll just be irritating them!)

I'm also unsure of what to do when someone actually does reply, but stops corresponding from there on... especially when they haven't left a phone number! Once somebody left me waiting for a month before actually getting back to me, telling me to turn up next week when I'd already made other arrangements D:.

in that case, i'd just phone them up and say "hello, it's <name> here. ("sorry to pester you" if you've phoned more than once before! "but) i spoke/wrote to you about work experience a couple of weeks/months(!) ago and was wondering if it might be possible to discuss it further/maybe arrange a placement?"
Reply 7
I live in the wiltshire area and am applying next October, I had to travel for my w/e to nearish places so PM if you want any contacts. I'll have rather a lot by the time I apply so I'm sure I have some places you'd like to go to!
best to call straight away I think. Don't bother sending letters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending