The Student Room Group

Cannot find any work experience

I’m in the Manchester area and for the life of me cannot find any work experience for dentistry. I’ve been trying for months now and I still can’t find any.

Does anybody know where I could find some and boost up my application?
Have you tried doing a MOOC or online course?
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
Have you tried doing a MOOC or online course?

What’s a MOOC?
Reply 3
Original post by Fear7
What’s a MOOC?

They are these free online courses. You dont need work experiences, unis know that its often really hard to get it if you dont know people, just do other things that show ur dedication
Reply 4
Original post by Ariichu
They are these free online courses. You dont need work experiences, unis know that its often really hard to get it if you dont know people, just do other things that show ur dedication

Even for Manchester?
Reply 5
Original post by Fear7
Even for Manchester?

Yea for all medical schools whether its cambridge, imperial or bristol. Why would manchester be different to other medical schools?
Original post by Fear7
I’m in the Manchester area and for the life of me cannot find any work experience for dentistry. I’ve been trying for months now and I still can’t find any.

work experience is very difficult to obtain for medicine and probs for dent too. the only most people manage to get into hospitals are through contacts and that's how I got in too. however I did manage to get into a GP just by emailing them around 5 times and also ringing around

so have you rang around? have you gone into the places where you want work experience and talked to someone ands handed them your CV? have you emailed around? especially in Manchester there must be soooo many places
Reply 7
Yes, as people have said, an MOOC or online courses will work. Sheffield has a very in depth MOOC that is worth visiting. I'm 90% sure that most people just zip through it without actually understanding/learning the content but it's worth having a look at. I'm not aware of any dental online courses but there are medical ones such as ObserveGP or BSMS. However, that being said, I still firmly believe that a lack of work experience puts someone at somewhat of a disadvantage. I know people still do get in with extracurriculars or working or volunteering, but not having a single day just doesn't give you the exposure to see whether you actually want to do dentistry. It doesn't have to be the typical 2-week that is expected, but honestly a day or two really is the least you can do. Or, at the bare minimum, do some hospital work experience and see what you learn from that, although admittedly most deadlines for NHS hospital WE applications will have passed. I remember when I was looking for dental work experience I didn't just do a mass email spam I literally went around my area by taking buses and physically knocked on doors to the dental practices. I understand finding WE i difficult, the success rate is very low and there were so many practices that never got back to me, but I would say that that effort is necessary. But I cannot see how the entirety of Manchester hasn't got a practice available. Make a list of all the dental practices, NHS or private and plan a day where you're knocking on doors, prepping a CV and why you want to do work experience and then plan a route that you can do in the shortest time. May not work, but keep trying... at least you get to explore your local city area.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ionomer
Yes, as people have said, an MOOC or online courses will work. Sheffield has a very in depth MOOC that is worth visiting. I'm 90% sure that most people just zip through it without actually understanding/learning the content but it's worth having a look at. I'm not aware of any dental online courses but there are medical ones such as ObserveGP or BSMS. However, that being said, I still firmly believe that a lack of work experience puts someone at somewhat of a disadvantage. I know people still do get in with extracurriculars or working or volunteering, but not having a single day just doesn't give you the exposure to see whether you actually want to do dentistry. It doesn't have to be the typical 2-week that is expected, but honestly a day or two really is the least you can do. Or, at the bare minimum, do some hospital work experience and see what you learn from that, although admittedly most deadlines for NHS hospital WE applications will have passed. I remember when I was looking for dental work experience I didn't just do a mass email spam I literally went around my area by taking buses and physically knocked on doors to the dental practices. I understand finding WE i difficult, the success rate is very low and there were so many practices that never got back to me, but I would say that that effort is necessary. But I cannot see how the entirety of Manchester hasn't got a practice available. Make a list of all the dental practices, NHS or private and plan a day where you're knocking on doors, prepping a CV and why you want to do work experience and then plan a route that you can do in the shortest time. May not work, but keep trying... at least you get to explore your local city area.

Thanks, I’ll take your advice.
Reply 9
Original post by B7861
work experience is very difficult to obtain for medicine and probs for dent too. the only most people manage to get into hospitals are through contacts and that's how I got in too. however I did manage to get into a GP just by emailing them around 5 times and also ringing around

so have you rang around? have you gone into the places where you want work experience and talked to someone ands handed them your CV? have you emailed around? especially in Manchester there must be soooo many places

I’m going to take on your advice and do that. I emailed pretty much all of them but only dialed a few and handed in my CV into fewer.
Reply 10
Original post by Fear7

be proactive I interviewed a dentist/dental student and I talked about that also as others said try MOOCs
Original post by Fear7
I’m going to take on your advice and do that. I emailed pretty much all of them but only dialed a few and handed in my CV into fewer.

yes ring and also just walk in! the worst that they can say is no. nothing good comes to those who wait for it to happen

Quick Reply

Latest