The Student Room Group

OCR B (Salters) F336 Chemistry Individual Investigation Help

Hi

We've just started the planning for the investigation in chemistry, and I've got no idea where to start! I was wondering if I could look at anyone's old projects to give me an idea of what to do. I'm investigating the solubility product of Potassium Hydrogen Tartrate, but even different project would be useful. Also do you have any tips on how to do well at this, as it seems like a lot of work!

Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Original post by Kooper
Hi

We've just started the planning for the investigation in chemistry, and I've got no idea where to start! I was wondering if I could look at anyone's old projects to give me an idea of what to do. I'm investigating the solubility product of Potassium Hydrogen Tartrate, but even different project would be useful. Also do you have any tips on how to do well at this, as it seems like a lot of work!

Thanks in advance.

Oh im in the same position so i know how you feel! Unfortunatley our teachers off atm and we've got this weird sub teacher who really doesn't have a clue and so everys like :confused: :confused: :confused:.... but if i find out any info i'll let you know :smile: xx
Reply 3
I've just started mine, as in, done the introduction to the Chemical Ideas of the whole thing, our teachers, whilst good, haven't really been the most helpful. I've settled on an in depth investigation into vitamin c analysis with orange juice. It's interesting once you get to know it!
Reply 4
Is anyone doing the iodine clock reaction through varying the concentration of hydrogen peroxide??
Reply 5
I'm doing the catalysis of the zinc-acid reaction with copper sulphate.
teacher's absolutley **** and i'm sorting wishing i hadn't chosen it now. This whole course is a joke.

Anyone else doing anything similar?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MD 4p6
Is anyone doing the iodine clock reaction through varying the concentration of hydrogen peroxide??

In order to do the experiment thoroughly you really need to investigate the orders of all the reagents, formulate the rate equation from those orders, then use a further series experiments investigating the effect of temperature to determine the activation energy for the reaction.
We had to finish our practical work for the I.I. before Christmas. I was the only one in the entire college who chose Finding the Concentration of Copper(II) Ions in Solution. I understand why now, it's hard! Anyway, our teachers just kind of went: "...So for the coursework just choose one of these experiments, and do it. You have until Christmas to finish your practical work. Hand in the final draft in March." And then left us to get on with it...=S

I remember in class there was a lot of titrations going on, and a lot of altering results to match the theory. Basically, find out what should happen, do some practical work and get some results, change a variable and talk about how this helped/inhibited the reaction. Make the results fit.

=D
Reply 8
Ive started mine and it has to be handed in before March..
My one is easy, but there are little explored areas.
The catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and just collect the results and chat about reaction kinetcs...

'THE DUSTYKID' wrote exactly what you have to do
Reply 9
Original post by ManPowa
Ive started mine and it has to be handed in before March..
My one is easy, but there are little explored areas.
The catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and just collect the results and chat about reaction kinetcs...

'THE DUSTYKID' wrote exactly what you have to do

I'm doing what you're doing, the method sucks though!

Can I ask what you're investigating? I am investigating both manganese (IV) and lead (IV) oxide, varying temp and conc of H2O2. Also investigating the organic catalysis using yeast suspension (catalase) and varying temp and substrate/enzyme conc :smile:

Latest