The Student Room Group

UK vs US??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sapientia
Do you really think you'd be disadvantaged if you went to the best university in either country? Pick which one you LIKE the most and which will give you the most HAPPINESS.

I agree. The unis you are considering are all so good, so just think about other things. American universities are totally different to UK ones so you should defiantly also consider the lifestyle and cultural differences. :flip::flip::flip:
Original post by abrkPL
My problem is that i don't want to end up working in Walmart. Where would I have better opportunities? Clearly from US universities there is shorter way to Wall Street etc.

Is it worth doing B.A. in let's say LSE or Oxford and then Masters in the US? I clearly have no idea. US schools always seemed to me as more prestigious ones. What kinds of career opportunities does LSE provide? More like being an analyst for middle-sized bank or maybe opens doors to more comprehensive career?

Um... what? You seriously think you'll be working in Walmart with a degree from LSE or Oxford? Not trying to be rude but you're right, you really have no idea... :s-smilie:
I'd imagine either one of your choices would put you in good stead for any career you want to do whether it's in the US or UK. The unis you're looking at are very prestigious and have a great world-wide rep so unless you fail, you can't go far wrong! :tongue:

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about econ but if it helps my sister's ex worked in the US and Guatemala for a couple of years with a economics degree from Bristol. Bristol's very good but it's not quite Oxford/LSE good. You make your own opportunities, go to an amazing uni for your subject (ie the ones you're already looking at), hope and pray you get into one that you actually like and sort out the nitpicky details later. You never know, by the time you graduate you might not want to work in Wall Street!

Bear in mind I'm a prospective English student so I'm certainly no expert but this is just my opinion! Good luck in whatever you decide to do- I'm sure you won't be working in Walmart unless you have a huge change of mind!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust
x

This poster is right, you don't have a fking clue. Seriously, any highly prestigious uni in the UK or US will be fine to work on Wall Street or any of the world's financial markets. Arguably LSE would be your best choice as, not only is it one of the best or the best in the UK for econ, it is also in close proximity to the other LSE(London Stock Exchange) which obviously has huge advantages.

You'll want a BSc - it's more quantitive.

PS: Advice so far = mostly useless
Reply 23
Well, rest assured you won't just be working at Walmart. I'm at LSE and they were very impressed with what I have to offer, so instead of being a shelf stacker, they offered me the position as head of cheese department! I start a month after my graduation, real excited.
Head cheese dep wow!
Reply 25
If you consider US school you should definately consider The university of Minnesota.
US! I know that Harvard gives financial aid to those students who need it, whether home or international, and also if you are smart. So if you are like dirt-poor or super-brainy, US is the better choice - their endowments go into billions per institution.
Reply 27
Original post by diamonddust
Um... what? You seriously think you'll be working in Walmart with a degree from LSE or Oxford? Not trying to be rude but you're right, you really have no idea... :s-smilie:

The Walmart thing was a metaphor. From the very beginning I like the perspective of studying in UK more. One, it is closer to home. Two: the British always seemed to me as more (no offense) well-mannered. I'm groomed by old-school parents. They put huge effort in raising me in climate of ethics, responsibility and so on.

Thanks for help :-)

If you don't mind I have one more question. Am i thinking right that LSE would be better because it is specialized in Economics when Oxford has only economics department?
UK ftw
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
UK ftw

well done :wink:
Original post by abrkPL
The Walmart thing was a metaphor. From the very beginning I like the perspective of studying in UK more. One, it is closer to home. Two: the British always seemed to me as more (no offense) well-mannered. I'm groomed by old-school parents. They put huge effort in raising me in climate of ethics, responsibility and so on.

Thanks for help :-)

If you don't mind I have one more question. Am i thinking right that LSE would be better because it is specialized in Economics when Oxford has only economics department?

That makes little difference because Oxford like Cambridge is world leading in every single field it teaches but LSE is better anyway.

Ask your Q here; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending