f(x)=x2f(x)=x^2 when 1x<0-1\le x<0
11 when x=0x=0
x2x^2 when 0<x<10<x<1
00 when 1x21\le x \le 2

So
Unparseable latex formula:

\lim_{x\to\0}f(x)=0

True or False?

Apparently the answer's true. But I can't understand why. Surely f(x)=1f(x)=1 when x=0x=0? :hmmmm:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
f(x)=x2f(x)=x^2 when 1x<0-1\le x<0
11 when x=0x=0
x2x^2 when 0<x<10<x<1
00 when 1x21\le x \le 2

What conditions must a limit satisfy to exist?
Original post by Clarity Incognito
What conditions must a limit satisfy to exist?

:dontknow:

But I'm guessing that it can't be 11 since it is 'static' at that point, i.e x=0x=0, as opposed to being an interval...I think?

But I'm guessing that it can't be 11 since it is 'static' at that point, i.e x=0x=0, as opposed to being an interval...I think?

It could have been undefined at x=0 but what's important about limits is that we're looking at what happens to f(x) as x tends to 0 from the positive side and the negative side. What happens exactly at the point x=0 is not so important. You can see the left side limit (coming from the negative side of 0) that it approaches 0 and similarly for the right side limit. For a limit to exist, it must have a left side limit and a right side limit and both must approach the same limit.

My question was ambiguous because it seemed to imply what exactly it means for something to be convergent to a limit but I assume that as you just want to compute these limits that you haven't got to that stage just yet.
Reply 4

It seems that you're trying to justify the continuity of the function rather than the existence of the limit.

Quick Reply

Latest