The Student Room Group

Podiatric surgeon

I am a qualified podiatrist, I really want to be a podiatric surgeon. What would be my way to get into it?
Original post by Quotings
I am a qualified podiatrist, I really want to be a podiatric surgeon. What would be my way to get into it?

All explained on the Royal College of Podiatry website:

https://rcpod.org.uk/become-a-podiatrist/career-opportunities-and-scope/podiatric-surgeon
You have to ask yourself, why do you REALLY want to be a Podiatric surgeon? I was in the same boat however, I realised that the amount of time/money/sacrifice required to make it up to Consultant level is not worth it at all (competition with arthropods who are actually medically trained, limited scope of practice - perform the most basic foot surgeries, very limited job prospects).
Reply 3
If you want a more medical role with a direct route , you could always go back to uni and become a physicians associate ; it's a Msc course and I'm sure they start as band 7s.

Personally I feel the pod course's enjoy advertising the podiatric surgeon route to attract people into podiatry, however when you look into it there does not seem to be a clear path .
(edited 6 months ago)
Don't do PA. Start off on Band 7 and retire at Band 7, maybe Band 8 if manager. So much confusion regarding their role at present. If the NHS continues with the same stress, the longer they are in their posts/depts./specialities, PA's will be expected to take on more responsibilities and will never progress past the above banding. I suspect this is the longterm plan to try and cope with the limiting amount of doctors joining/staying in the NHS. Predict major burnout from this profession in the near future.
Reply 5
Original post by ConnectedRobot
Don't do PA. Start off on Band 7 and retire at Band 7, maybe Band 8 if manager. So much confusion regarding their role at present. If the NHS continues with the same stress, the longer they are in their posts/depts./specialities, PA's will be expected to take on more responsibilities and will never progress past the above banding. I suspect this is the longterm plan to try and cope with the limiting amount of doctors joining/staying in the NHS. Predict major burnout from this profession in the near future.

Intresting, I think PA is a more established role in USA. Band 7-8 for life is a decent living. Self Identity would prob be an issue and it might annoy the PA after a while . Your not a Dr but your trying to sit at the table type thing . Possibly similar responsibilities as a advance nurse practitioner however the ANP being at the top of thier field , comes with a lot of respect and feeling of self worth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending