The Student Room Group

Biology question water potential

Hi, please could i have help on this question? I dont understand how option 1 is correct, if the water potential is more negative then there is a lower water potential in the cell so water would move into cell P by osmosis and become turgid instead of plasmolysed?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/629166293795586048?codeId=PYlj3zbYBa3LQ&origin=imageurlgenerator

Thank you!
Original post by anonymous294
Hi, please could i have help on this question? I dont understand how option 1 is correct, if the water potential is more negative then there is a lower water potential in the cell so water would move into cell P by osmosis and become turgid instead of plasmolysed?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/629166293795586048?codeId=PYlj3zbYBa3LQ&origin=imageurlgenerator
Thank you!

Hi, I havent gotten onto how plants are adapted to prevent waterloss yet, but this is what bing said so hopefully it helps 🤞. Screenshot 2024-03-20 210046.pngif not I hope someone else can help.
Original post by Tatakae L
Hi, I havent gotten onto how plants are adapted to prevent waterloss yet, but this is what bing said so hopefully it helps 🤞. Screenshot 2024-03-20 210046.pngif not I hope someone else can help.

Thanks for this but I’m still confused about the negative water potential and plasmolysis?
Thanks for this but I’m still confused about the negative water potential and plasmolysis?

Yeah I dont have a clue😭
@AspiringSurvivor help please
Thank you!
- In xerophytic conditions (P), the leaf cells adapt to conserve water by increasing solute concentration inside the cells. This increase lowers the water potential inside the cells compared to the surrounding environment. As a result, water tends to move from the surrounding environment (which has a higher water potential) into the cells (which have a lower water potential). This creates a gradient for water uptake by the cells, making the water potential inside the cells more negative in condition P compared to condition Q.
- Plasmolysis occurs when water leaves the plant cell, causing the protoplast to shrink away from the cell wall. In xerophytic conditions (P), where water availability is limited, more cells undergo plasmolysis as they lose water to the surrounding environment due to the higher water potential outside the cells. This loss of water causes the cells to shrink and plasmolyze. In condition Q, where water availability is higher, fewer cells undergo plasmolysis because there is less water loss to the surrounding environment, resulting in less shrinkage of the cells and fewer instances of plasmolysis compared to condition P.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn’t :smile:
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
- In xerophytic conditions (P), the leaf cells adapt to conserve water by increasing solute concentration inside the cells. This increase lowers the water potential inside the cells compared to the surrounding environment. As a result, water tends to move from the surrounding environment (which has a higher water potential) into the cells (which have a lower water potential). This creates a gradient for water uptake by the cells, making the water potential inside the cells more negative in condition P compared to condition Q.
- Plasmolysis occurs when water leaves the plant cell, causing the protoplast to shrink away from the cell wall. In xerophytic conditions (P), where water availability is limited, more cells undergo plasmolysis as they lose water to the surrounding environment due to the higher water potential outside the cells. This loss of water causes the cells to shrink and plasmolyze. In condition Q, where water availability is higher, fewer cells undergo plasmolysis because there is less water loss to the surrounding environment, resulting in less shrinkage of the cells and fewer instances of plasmolysis compared to condition P.
Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn’t :smile:

Hi thanks so much for this, i am still confused because if P has a more negative water potential then there is a steeper gradient so more water would enter into P by osmosis and it would become turgid instead of plasmolysed?
Hi thanks so much for this, i am still confused because if P has a more negative water potential then there is a steeper gradient so more water would enter into P by osmosis and it would become turgid instead of plasmolysed?
However, in xerophytic conditions (condition P), while the more negative water potential does create a gradient for water uptake, the limited availability of water means that the cells may still lose water to the surrounding environment due to transpiration or other factors.
Therefore, even though water may enter the cells, it may not be enough to counteract the overall loss of water, especially if the rate of water loss exceeds the rate of water uptake. This can result in a net loss of water from the cells, leading to plasmolysis.
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
However, in xerophytic conditions (condition P), while the more negative water potential does create a gradient for water uptake, the limited availability of water means that the cells may still lose water to the surrounding environment due to transpiration or other factors.
Therefore, even though water may enter the cells, it may not be enough to counteract the overall loss of water, especially if the rate of water loss exceeds the rate of water uptake. This can result in a net loss of water from the cells, leading to plasmolysis.

Ohhh okay that makes sense, thank you very much :smile:
Ohhh okay that makes sense, thank you very much :smile:

No worries :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending