The Student Room Group

What ties are more fashionable - skinny ties or ordinary sized ties!!

I'm going to a Christening in a few weeks and I'm going to wear a very smart shirt and trousers.

I'm trying to deicde if I should wear a skinny or normal sized tie.

What ties are more fashionable - skinny ties or ordinary sized ties!!

I'm leaning towards the skinny tie but I get the feeling they are more suited for smart / casual dressing. Please help. Thanks. :smile:
slim ties which are inbetween
Reply 2
Original post by mandingo666
slim ties which are inbetween

Thanks, but what do you mean by 'which are in between'?
Reply 3
I'm attracted to ties which are of quite a similar colour to the shirt - not skinny tho. Have fun at christening x
Reply 4
Original post by djinnie
I'm attracted to ties which are of quite a similar colour to the shirt - not skinny tho. Have fun at christening x

Thanks!:smile:
Original post by The Lad
Thanks, but what do you mean by 'which are in between'?

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Slim-Plain-Tie/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1458220&cid=6520&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Grey

bigger than skinny smaller than standard if you browse the tie section on the site
Reply 6
Thanks. Anymore suggestions.
Reply 7
skinny more fashionable but can look a bit try hard
Reply 8
Skinny ties!!
The skinny ties look better :smile:
Reply 10
IMO skinny ties look ridiculous. Then again, a tie that's far too wide for you will also look stupid. The exact width of tie that will suit you best is dependent on your body shape; the wider you are, the wider the tie you need.

Personally, I wouldn't wear a tie without a jacket/blazer. If I were putting together an outfit like that, I'd just leave the tie out altogether if wearing a jacket isn't an option.
Reply 11
Go for slim not too thin and not too big.
Depends on the rest of the outfit, but i'd say skinny
Skinny ties have no place at strictly formal events. I wouldn't say a christening is strictly formal though. What's the official dress code? Smart or smart/casual?

Quick Reply

Latest