The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is the University of Manchester good?

I've thought of applying to Manchester as one of my options as I think it's situated in an ideal place with lots of opportunities.

Is Manchester a respectable university with a chance of good career prospects?
Reply 1
Yes, it is by most metrics (should you care about such) one of the country's top institutions
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Its research quality is currently joint 6th in the UK and it has produced more UK Nobel prize winners than anywhere outside of Oxbridge. (it's either tied with UCL or 2 Nobels away from UCL). I'm not sure it's ever been particularly 'fashionable' for non-science subjects though.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've thought of applying to Manchester as one of my options as I think it's situated in an ideal place with lots of opportunities.
Depends on your program of choice. The really interesting thing about UoM is that it's not really average for anything. It's either outstanding at some stuff or pretty awful at others. If you are looking to study any of the following, UoM should be in your applicatio choices right after Oxbridge and alongside Imperial/Edinburgh/UCL depending on the degree subject -

Mathematics (after Oxbridge, Warwick, alongside UCL and Imperial)
Computing (after Oxbridge, Edinburgh, UCL, alongside Imperial)
Engineering (after Imperial and Cambridge alongside Oxford)
Physics (after Oxbridge and alongside Imperial and UCL)
Business (**** business)
Medicine (first few years - Oxbridge/UCL/Durham/St. Andrews then Manchester)
Material Sciences and metallurgy (alongside Oxford over any others)

Drawbacks -
It has massive class sizes with the student population having a large median range of intellect, skewing the average. As in, the average Oxford student will likely be smarter than his/her Manchester counterpart, but the smartest people at Manchester are likely smarter than the ones at Oxford. Also, the huge classes make individual academic advisement and tutoring almost impossible. If you are after top class undergraduate teaching, head over to a small, elite teaching focused university, like St. Andrews or Durham and then go to UoM for a graduate degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
Depends on your program of choice. The really interesting thing about UoM is that it's not really average for anything. It's either outstanding at some stuff or pretty awful at others. If you are looking to study any of the following, UoM should be in your applicatio choices right after Oxbridge and alongside Imperial/Edinburgh/UCL depending on the degree subject -
Mathematics (after Oxbridge, Warwick, alongside UCL and Imperial)
Computing (after Oxbridge, Edinburgh, UCL, alongside Imperial)
Engineering (after Imperial and Cambridge alongside Oxford)
Physics (after Oxbridge and alongside Imperial and UCL)
Business (**** business)
Medicine (first few years - Oxbridge/UCL/Durham/St. Andrews then Manchester)
Material Sciences and metallurgy (alongside Oxford over any others)
Drawbacks -
It has massive class sizes with the student population having a large median range of intellect, skewing the average. As in, the average Oxford student will likely be smarter than his/her Manchester counterpart, but the smartest people at Manchester are likely smarter than the ones at Oxford. Also, the huge classes make individual academic advisement and tutoring almost impossible. If you are after top class undergraduate teaching, head over to a small, elite teaching focused university, like St. Andrews or Durham and then go to UoM for a graduate degree.
I've applied to study politics. I've no interest in STEM subjects/careers. The only other uni I applied to was Lancaster.
Original post by Anonymous #1
As someone studying business here, I feel like the school is a little overrated. However it might just me be and that i got bad lecturers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending