The Student Room Group

The Alternative Vote, an end to the 'marmite' party!

I wrote an article on why we should have AV and why Camerons arguments against it are crass.

Link:http://socyberty.com/politics/the-alternative-vote-an-end-to-the-marmite-party/

Feel free to criticize:biggrin:
Reply 1
Far as I have seen this will not make the Tories unelectable only full AV will do that. Plus full AV would likely lead to the main parties splitting into smaller ones anyway
Interesting read. Hasn't changed my opinion at all, but I was very much in the yes camp to begin with.
Reply 3
you cant critisize the way the torys got in and think AV if fair, like that source, its hypocritical

a tory MP could get 43% of the vote, labour 37% and lib dems getting 17%
here noone has a majority, but the tory MP got the most votes so would win the seat
in AV, if the majority of the libdems voted labour as their 2nd choice then labour is likely to win on a minority but using the Lib dem votes, exactly what cameron did and it is only really the 3rd party that would matter unless its really close

AV shouldnt be in, due to the boundry changes it will not create any real change in whos running the house, and just creates a expensive confusion
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by f00ddude
you cant critisize the way the torys got in and think AV if fair, like that source, its hypocritical

a tory MP could get 43% of the vote, labour 37% and lib dems getting 17%
here noone has a majority, but the tory MP got the most votes so would win the seat
in AV, if the majority of the libdems voted labour as their 2nd choice then labour is likely to win on a minority but using the Lib dem votes, exactly what cameron did and it is only really the 3rd party that would matter unless its really close

AV shouldnt be in, due to the boundry changes it will not create any real change in whos running the house, and just creates a expensive confusion

Funny I actually also agree with the tory boundary changes.
Reply 5
Isn't there a worry that the end of the 'marmite' party will spell the end of any last lingering youth interest in the political system? Isn't one of the more pointed criticisms of politics and politicians over these last few years that they're 'all the same' ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending