The Student Room Group

Management and Strategy Consulting at PWC

Hi guys,

First of all, it has taken me a long time to finally register, but this website is a fantastic source of information and advice. So thanks in advance.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions, and I was hoping some of you in the know may be able to help here. I'm currently finishing my PhD in Chemistry from the University of Manchester, and I want to move away from scientific research and move into a more business orientated environment. Unfortunately, I have missed all the deadlines, but at PwC there are some vacancies in Tax and Management Consulting starting in April 2012.

My first question is what is the difference between Management and Strategy consulting at PwC specifically? And also would it be wise for me to start in April or September, as I assume there would be a larger intake in the Autumn?

Also, if I do start on a Tax graduate scheme, are there opportunities later on down the line to move into things like Management and Strategy? I'm quite a driven person, but I think I stress too much, which is why I'm anxious to get myself a job as soon as I have handed in my PhD thesis next month. I have quite a good CV (team leadership, collaborations, president of a university society, highest exam scores scholarships etc), but it seems like I missed all the deadlines.

Oh I must point out that I did make it to the first round of strategy consulting at Deloitte but I didn't get through the first interview (no feedback given), and I got invited to McKinsey and Oliver Wyman for online tests (which I didn't pass I'm afraid, completely unprepared!), and I declined an interview at Accenture after reading somewhat scary stories about them.

Thanks, I look forward to your replies, advice and stories!

confuseddotcom
Reply 1
Failed the online tests means you need more business background, no offense, you can't really prepare for those tests.
Reply 2
are the management and strategy consulting two different things? I can't be bothered to look it up, but it would surprise me if they were.

moving from tax to consulting would probably not happen.
Original post by Chewwy
are the management and strategy consulting two different things? I can't be bothered to look it up, but it would surprise me if they were.

moving from tax to consulting would probably not happen.

Yup, consulting at PwC is split into three branches - Strategy, Management and Economic Consulting.
Reply 4
Original post by ChapterEleven
Yup, consulting at PwC is split into three branches - Strategy, Management and Economic Consulting.

Have you found out anything more about management vs strategy?

I just got an offer for a 2012 internship and I'm now trying to choose which line of service to join. I think strategy is way more competitive as they said if we choose strategy we'll have to do another case study and a senior interview. But I don't fully understand the differences between management and strategy to know if it's with the extra hassle.

Edit: *worth the extra hassle. Damn you iPhone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by i.am.lost

I just got an offer for a 2012 internship and I'm now trying to choose which line of service to join. I think strategy is way more competitive as they said if we choose strategy we'll have to do another case study and a senior interview. But I don't fully understand the differences between management and strategy to know if it's with the extra hassle.

Where you in the 1st or 2nd batch for the insight academy?
Reply 6
Original post by Zweihander
Where you in the 1st or 2nd batch for the insight academy?

Numero uno
Reply 7
Original post by i.am.lost

Edit: *worth the extra hassle. Damn you iPhone.

I might be wrong and I'm happy to be corrected if I am but I thought "management consulting" at the big 4 especially was a sort of operational level advisory stuff where as strategy consulting is just that - looking at the overall strategy so I guess strategy would be working with the more senior members of the company to come up with an overall plan for how to make the company more profitable by increasing market share in a certain area etc. Management consulting as far as I know is then working out how to do that and looking at ways it can be done with less senior people- the more operational side. Which would link in with it being slightly less competitive/prestigious as you said before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending