The Student Room Group

Which Job - Kubrick or Civil Service?

Hi there,

So I currently have an offer from Kubrick to be a data management consultant; I also have an offer from the civil service to join the Department of Trade and Business for a HEO commercial manager position.

I am undecided as Kubrick has business problems and keeps many of its consultants on the bench while on low pay. The civil service is more stable and pays more initially and it is within procurement in the long run I want to be a management or strategy consultant.

my core issue is I am not sure if data management consulting is for me as I have not done programming before and have tried self-teaching but I am undecided. I however like the idea of being a consultant and gaining hard skills in tech which will make me more employable. In the long run, I think I want to be a more general management/strategy consultant. Which role is a better option? I am also applying for jobs in consulting but they are a September start. What general advice do you have?
Reply 1
I have an 'offer' from the FDM group (similar business model to Kubrick where they train you and place you in a company for two years) and the way they have treated me for the past few months is appalling.

When I received an offer back in March, they said I would start in summer/autumn time but to this day I have not heard anything from them despite emailing. Also reading the reviews for Kurbick, it looks the same. Many people delayed for months. Even if you do start training, there is no guarantee that you will get a placement at the end of it and they can just terminate your contract leaving you jobless.

With the civil service, at least you have a job and are not stuck in a 2 year contract where breaking it early could lead you to pay back 'fees'. Also the civil service job looks more aligned with your future goals. So if I were you, I would take the civil service job.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by kindus
Hi there,

So I currently have an offer from Kubrick to be a data management consultant; I also have an offer from the civil service to join the Department of Trade and Business for a HEO commercial manager position.

I am undecided as Kubrick has business problems and keeps many of its consultants on the bench while on low pay. The civil service is more stable and pays more initially and it is within procurement in the long run I want to be a management or strategy consultant.

my core issue is I am not sure if data management consulting is for me as I have not done programming before and have tried self-teaching but I am undecided. I however like the idea of being a consultant and gaining hard skills in tech which will make me more employable. In the long run, I think I want to be a more general management/strategy consultant. Which role is a better option? I am also applying for jobs in consulting but they are a September start. What general advice do you have?

Kubrik and FDM aren't proper jobs. Some would say they are scams, preying on the nervous, under-skilled, inexperience, low quality - take your pick - graduates who are struggling to get into graduate level employment. Read the small print, all the risk is on you.

Hands down, 100% the Civil Service - you shouldn't be blinking over this. The Civil Service is a real job, and potentially a real career. Kubrik is BS, a fancy website and preying on the under-confident graduate.
Reply 3
Civil Service 100% - they provide excellent training support and mentoring. You will also be able to move into private sector fairly easily if you want to after completing Civil Service programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending