The Student Room Group

good enough gcses for unis

I know some unis such as UCL take into consideration your gcse grades, but do; plymouth, portsmouth, southampton, brighton, UEA, essex, bangor or anglia ruskin?

And especially for a subject such as marine biology/ ecology?

These are what I got;

A* - chemistry

A- biology and maths

B - english lit, english lang, physics, geography, history

C/PASS - art, social ethics, ICT (done in year 9)

I know they're not the best in the world but I didn't fail anything and it's A-levels and personal statements that are more important but i'm aware that unis look at your gcse grades aswell as they're what you've achieved rather than predictions.
as long as you have a B or above in the subject you want to do you're fine :biggrin: most of the time, apart from there are SOME exceptions depending on the subject, ie for psychology you would need a B or above at gcse maths if you haven't done it for a level
Reply 2
For subjects like marine biology/ecology, aslong as you have a minimum of a B in your science subjects at GCSE then you're fine. It's you're A Levels the uni's are most interested in, so an A or B in A level biology and/or chemistry is what most will be looking for.
Reply 3
Original post by cjcw20
For subjects like marine biology/ecology, aslong as you have a minimum of a B in your science subjects at GCSE then you're fine. It's you're A Levels the uni's are most interested in, so an A or B in A level biology and/or chemistry is what most will be looking for.

I'm looking to get A/B in biology and geography and B/C in chemistry and maths (although it'll be maths I drop after AS)
Reply 4
Original post by charcharchar

Original post by charcharchar
as long as you have a B or above in the subject you want to do you're fine :biggrin: most of the time, apart from there are SOME exceptions depending on the subject, ie for psychology you would need a B or above at gcse maths if you haven't done it for a level

Or a C.
Original post by El_Sid
Or a C.

well, it depends what course you're doing, and where, because if you go for some of the higher up unis they may request a B.

Ie, I am going to Surrey, and they actually have said to me, and a few of my friends, they require you to have a GCSE B in order to study psychology...
Reply 6
Original post by Nix-j-c

I think these are actually really good grades, so I wouldn't worry :smile:.
Reply 7
Yeah thats fine.

Tbh, most uni's don't take into account your GCSE's except your English + Maths ones. So as long as you did OK in them (Which for most uni's you have) then your'e fine!
Reply 8
Original post by elstevens
I think these are actually really good grades, so I wouldn't worry :smile:.

I worked out that its about top 25-30% which is quite good until you come on TSR and get straight A* gcse and a-level students!!!!!!!! At least the Cs weren't in relevant subjects to what I want to do at uni . . .
Reply 9
Original post by Nix-j-c
I know some unis such as UCL take into consideration your gcse grades, but do; plymouth, portsmouth, southampton, brighton, UEA, essex, bangor or anglia ruskin?

And especially for a subject such as marine biology/ ecology?

These are what I got;

A* - chemistry

A- biology and maths

B - english lit, english lang, physics, geography, history

C/PASS - art, social ethics, ICT (done in year 9)

I know they're not the best in the world but I didn't fail anything and it's A-levels and personal statements that are more important but i'm aware that unis look at your gcse grades aswell as they're what you've achieved rather than predictions.

UEA put more emphasis on your personal statement than anything else. I got a place at Portsmouth and UEA two years running, albeit for IR not ecology, with 5 A's 5B's & 1C.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending