The Student Room Group

Integration by parts

given the integral

e3xsin(2x)  dx\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x)\;dx

presumably you use integration by parts, but which bit do I call v and which bit du/dx ?

Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what? I thought you choose the bit that differentiates to a constant to be v, but in this case, neither of them do.

:confused:

Ta

Scroll to see replies

In this instance it doesn't matter much, it's probably easier to use the trig term.

You will require two iterations, ending up with a similar integral to the one above when you try and work it out the second time.

Calling the integral I, you can then rewrite in the form I = ...
Call du/dx e^3x. Easier to intergrate. sin2x can be differentiated easily enough. Then just apply the rule.
Not sure if this will help but kinda gives an explanation!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+e^%283x%29*sin%282x%29
Original post by marcusmerehay
In this instance it doesn't matter much, it's probably easier to use the trig term.

You will require two iterations, ending up with a similar integral to the one above when you try and work it out the second time.

Calling the integral I, you can then rewrite in the form I = ...

oh so I'll still have to do in in two stages then?
Original post by Plato's Trousers
given the integral

e3xsin(2x)  dx\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x)\;dx

presumably you use integration by parts, but which bit do I call v and which bit du/dx ?

Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what? I thought you choose the bit that differentiates to a constant to be v, but in this case, neither of them do.

:confused:

Ta

Alternatively, if you want to avoid IBP you could notice that:

e3xsin(2x)dx=(e(3+2i)xdx)\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = \Im \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

and find that imaginary part.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by boromir9111
Not sure if this will help but kinda gives an explanation!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+e^%283x%29*sin%282x%29

yeah, I tried Walpha, but it doesn't do it by parts. It uses some kind of general formula
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Alternatively, you could notice that:

e3xsin(2x)dx=Im(e(3+2i)xdx)\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = Im \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

um, you're joking right? (you know I won't understand that! :angry:)
Reply 8
Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what?

Try googling LIATE Rule, its a rule of thumb which I follow for integration by parts.
Basically you choose 'u' by what come first in the list: Logs, Inverse trig, Algebra, Trig, Exponentials
um, you're joking right? (you know I won't understand that! :angry:)

My apologies. I thought you were doing an Open University course on it so assumed that you had met complex numbers properly by now. :o:

Do you follow what the others have suggested?
Reply 10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

In Examples, from 'An unusual example commonly used...'
Original post by Potassium^2
Try googling LIATE Rule, its a rule of thumb which I follow for integration by parts.
Basically you choose 'u' by what come first in the list: Logs, Inverse trig, Algebra, Trig, Exponentials

that's cool! I haven't heard of that before.

My apologies. I thought you were doing an Open University course on it so assumed that you had met complex numbers properly by now. :o:

Do you follow what the others have suggested?

well, I know what complex numbers are, but I don't see the relevance to this.

Doing it by parts just keeps on generating new products? So I don't see how it helps.

Choosing dv/dx to be e^3x I get

Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{1}{3}3e^{3x}\sin(2x)}-\displaystyle\int\dfrac{2}{3}e^{3x}\cos(2x)\;dx

which doesn't really help me, as I have still got a product to integrate. And you keep on getting a product, presumably?
(edited 13 years ago)

well, I know what complex numbers are, but I don't see the relevance to this.

I take it that you've never seen De Moivre's theorem before? Or the definition:

eiθ=cosθ+isinθe^{i\theta} = \cos \theta +i\sin \theta?

Doing it by parts just keeps on generating new products? So I don't see how it helps.

Choosing dv/dx to be e^3x I get

e3xsin(2x)323e3xcos(2x)  dx\dfrac{e^{3x}\sin(2x)}{3}-\displaystyle\int\dfrac{2}{3}e^{3x}\cos(2x)\;dx

which doesn't really help me, as I have still got a product to integrate. And you keep on getting a product, presumably?

Use IBP again with dvdx=e3x\frac{dv}{dx}=e^{3x} and notice the integral part that emerges. It will be similar to what you started with. Therefore, if you let I=e3xsin(2x)dxI=\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin (2x)dx, you will have something of the form:

I=[stuff]+kII=[\mathrm{stuff}] + kI where k is a constant.
Alternatively, if you want to avoid IBP you could notice that:

e3xsin(2x)dx=Im(e(3+2i)xdx)\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = \mathrm{Im} \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

oh wait, yes, sorry! I see what you mean now. You're using Euler's relation. That's sneaky :ninja:

It's just that you first had a Hebrew letter in place of the Im, (before you edited it). Aleph, maybe? I didn't know what that was
oh wait, yes, sorry! I see what you mean now. You're using Euler's relation. That's sneaky :ninja:

It's just that you first had a Hebrew letter in place of the Im, (before you edited it). Aleph, maybe? I didn't know what that was

Good to hear that you've got the idea.

Yeah, I don't know what happened there, slip of the finger I think.
Good to hear that you've got the idea.

Yeah, I don't know what happened there, slip of the finger I think.

our posts crossed I think. You were posting about de Moivre and I was posting about Euler. I always get those mixed up, what's the difference?
I=[stuff]+kII=[\mathrm{stuff}] + kI where k is a constant.
Which won't work if k = 1.
Original post by AgeOfAquarius
Which won't work if k = 1.

What's your point? I haven't indicated that k is 1. k isn't arbitrary and I have used an equality sign as opposed to an equivalence sign for a reason!
(edited 13 years ago)
our posts crossed I think. You were posting about de Moivre and I was posting about Euler. I always get those mixed up, what's the difference?

A quick google will tell you the answer to your question.
What's your point? I haven't indicated that k is 1.
You misunderstood me. It was just a caution for the OP.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest