The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rocky Raccoon
You should save it in PDF when you have your final version. THat way the format will be unique, and there will be no problems when it's time to print, or if you need to send anything to anyone.

How do you do that?
Original post by hannah_dru
How do you do that?

Well normally in your word document saving options it should appear. when you 'save as', you can change the type to PDF.
Original post by Rocky Raccoon
Well normally in your word document saving options it should appear. when you 'save as', you can change the type to PDF.

Found it, thanks :smile: Not sure if I'm allowed to submit it in that format but it's useful nonetheless.
Well I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed. plus its more secure, as no one can alter your document once its saved as pdf.
I might do that for the hard copy I have to submit but I'll probably leave it as a word file for the online submission.

Just finished typing the 2nd draft and piecing the whole thing including the appendix (transcriptions and comment sections I did) together. Haven't referenced it yet or made improvements but it's a great relief to have it all together. Can't believe the whole thing with the appendix is nearly 10,000 words! (and they say we don't do a lot of work for the languages dissertation :P)
my meeting with my supervisor went really well the other day, feel quite on track now. although i've arranged another meeting with him for 2 weeks time and he just said i should be reading and making notes, i thought he'd at least want a chapter written by then or something
Reply 266
quick question, In word 2007 how do i get typing to be double spaced?
Original post by Anniee1
quick question, In word 2007 how do i get typing to be double spaced?

Highlight the text, right click. Then click on "paragraph" and where it says "line spacing" at the bottom, select "double" :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by hannah_dru
Highlight the text, right click. Then click on "paragraph" and where it says "line spacing" at the bottom, select "double" :smile:

Thank you :smile: But that's line no? Is that what they mean by double spaced?
I thought it would be word spaced:s-smilie: lol
Original post by Anniee1
Thank you :smile: But that's line no? Is that what they mean by double spaced?
I thought it would be word spaced:s-smilie: lol

Yeah double spacing is by line and not word (which would look weird :biggrin:)
Reply 270
Just submitted it. scared as hell but at the same time i am so relieved!x
Just submitted my History dissertation. God damn I thought I was going to faint/vomit/scream out of nervous exhaustion when I was printing it off and getting it bound and everything. :eek:

I did the majority of the work in the last two weeks, and about 2,000 words since this time yesterday. Came in just under 12,000 words in the end. 51 pages of win.

I'm pretty proud of myself but also slightly panicked in case it's crap for some reason. I think it counts for a third of my entire History mark!

Anyway, I've now got about two hours to finish up some other stupid essay I have to do, then I'm going to get unbelievably wasted.

And THEN, I have a 8,500 Politics dissertation to write sometime between now and the start of May, but I'm trying not to think about that at the moment!
so i'm at 400 words and am stuck. help me!
I just submitted mine now and it's such a relief! Had problems last night because one of the talkshows I analysed had been taken off the archive of the TV channel and I had to find another website which had it on. Now I just have the scary viva after Easter.
I bet you feel really good! I can't wait for that feeling too, except I'll have two exams (which I don't know when I'll have time to prepare for) straight after that.
Anyway, how much time did it effectively take you guys to write it up really?

I've done my literature review, which somehow includes my intro, and its about 2000 words, now trying to add more to make up my first chapter. I wanted to have this done by tonight but only have 200 words so far. then want to work on my second chapter and have most of it done by tuesday (so approx 2000 words) and then that way over easter I can spread time to do my third chapter, and finish the rest when I come back. Its just that I physically can't force myself to write right now even though I know I want half of it out of the way if I want to enjoy easter just a little....
anyway, just some stress, but it helps to know how others have done or a doing, in terms of organisation and time it took.
I need to write at least another 4400 words by the end of the month on mine, plus editing and properly writing out references (if I keep going on my current level - I currently have 5600 words and 100 references, which I expect to double at least by the time I'm finished, that alone is going to take forever! Argh!). I wish I was one of those organised, sensible people who finished their dissertations ages ago - it's not getting the required number of words that worries me, it's the quality of those words. Really don't want it to look like a rush job! :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi all, currently doing my dissertation and I am desperate for more people to do my questionnaire. It is only eight multiple choice questions about wireless networks, security and internet use. It doesn't matter how much you know or don't know, if you have a few minutes to help I will be eternally grateful!
The questionnaire can be found HERE!
Many thanks, and if you have questions, ask!
Original post by always.tyred
Hi all, currently doing my dissertation and I am desperate for more people to do my questionnaire. It is only eight multiple choice questions about wireless networks, security and internet use. It doesn't matter how much you know or don't know, if you have a few minutes to help I will be eternally grateful!

Done for you
Reply 278

Always happy to help.

Charlski
I need to write at least another 4400 words by the end of the month on mine, plus editing and properly writing out references (if I keep going on my current level - I currently have 5600 words and 100 references, which I expect to double at least by the time I'm finished, that alone is going to take forever! Argh!). I wish I was one of those organised, sensible people who finished their dissertations ages ago - it's not getting the required number of words that worries me, it's the quality of those words. Really don't want it to look like a rush job!

200 references for a 10k diss? Holy Moly. What subject is it?
(edited 13 years ago)

Done. Interesting questionnaire! Good luck with your dissertation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending